Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Buying Titus X Help

Hi I tried to find threads that would answer these questions but most info was either vague or I could not find.

1 - Im between a X Carbon or Alum, what do you recommend, which has a better built?
    2 - Im thinking of riding a 120MM fork probably a Reba, any experiences? I have seen people who built with a 120MM but they never told how it handles, does the front come up in climbs a lot? How much slack do I gain from going 120MM?
    3 - On-one.uk has a better price I plan to ship it to the US but since Im not a resident Im concerned with two things how long does the delivery take and does the US charge any taxes on UK goods? Ill be shipping to a hotel (fedex office) where I will be attending a conference.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    no one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

X's

Personally I would rather have an Alu bike. I own a 2008 racer x, but I have never ridden the carbon version so I cannot give a true comparisioin. I have ridden alu and carbon epics back to back and don't notice any signifigant differences in ride quality. Unless the carbon bike is signifigantly lighter I would stick to alu. However Carbon frames seem to be getting better all the time so its really just a perference call.

An x will work just fine with a 120. you can set the stem up a little lower or run a sightly longer one if you feel like its too light up front.

3. I dunno
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Note: Stay away from Titus bike...they don't honor warranty!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The X I bought and owned for a short period was a bit spindly. It had an issue with the rear dropouts. However, I think they fixed that aspect. It was aluminum. Like I said, I owned it for a short period.

Edit: It was a nice ride. But I don't know if I would spend the money on carbon. My $.02

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pedalfaraway thanks I was inclined to go alum considering the weight difference is minimal, im just concerned because Im not seeing new builds with the X here.

akasan did you have issues with the X? what xc frame you recomend with similar price?

pisga thanks for the input, u had carbon? what does spindly mean?

again thank you guys

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    Pedalfaraway thanks I was inclined to go alum considering the weight difference is minimal, im just concerned because Im not seeing new builds with the X here.

akasan did you have issues with the X? what xc frame you recomend with similar price?

pisga thanks for the input, u had carbon? what does spindly mean?

again thank you guys
    I had aluminum. Spindly to me is opposite of beefy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    @ liternit, Broke my Racer X Exogrid on the seat tube and they lost it when I sent it to them. Never replaced but they want me to buy another frame with 20-30% discount. Told them to keep the frame and rear shock.

note: Just buy TURNER Flux or Sultan...good frame with very good customer service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    @ liternit, Broke my Racer X Exogrid on the seat tube and they lost it when I sent it to them. Never replaced but they want me to buy another frame with 20-30% discount. Told them to keep the frame and rear shock.

note: Just buy TURNER Flux or Sultan...good frame with very good customer service.
    Does Titus claim it never received the frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Rx

They received it but later on.,,they lost it again. I still have the e-mail transcript of what transcribed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Post the emails

Would be interesting to see what was said. One-on has been pretty upfront with the fact that they did not intend to honor warranties from bike sales before they owned titus. As I understand it if you by or bought a titus under the new ownership they will honor the warranty. If you have an "old Titus" you are basically at thier mercy.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Despite all I bought the frame! Wont do any heavy trails or anything, mostly dirt roads and some single tracks, no jumps/drops etc..

But anyway thanks for the info

Orthodox Veloist

please send us the transcript

Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    They received it but later on.,,they lost it again. I still have the e-mail transcript of what transcribed.
    @Akazan Please send me the email transcripts that you may have. Also your serial number for your old bike. I would love to work with you to resolve this issue.

jeremy at titusti dot com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Placed the order on the 19th, today I received an email from planet-x saying the frame is not as pictured on the website, that instead of a black rear end it has a white one, frame is red.

that just sucks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got the picture of the frame, it looks like its a Racer X and not just an X. What year did Titus stop making Racer X frames?

What you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok seems On-one does not even know the year of the frame or model, yet they offer onsite as if it was a Titus X Alloy when its not. Unfortunately I said they could ship the frame!

That said Im worried about the geo now and how it seems to lack water cage holes, I found out its a 2011 Racer X alloy with rear carbon. The headset in the picture looks tapered anyone got the specs for this frame?

mtbr member
    I think that is a one-off frame. No racer-x to my knowledge had a tapered headtube or hydroformed swoopy tubes. That might have been a production sample of a rebirth of the Racer X?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    craigstr did you see the pic it looks tapered right? I saw an article from 2011 saying they were using sort of a Rockstar rear with a front Alloy X. Dont know what to make of this, if I was lucky or unlucky, but basicaly On-one are selling them as Titus X which is not cool specially because they dont have geo for what they are selling.

mtbr member
    I thought it was a Rockstar at first glance. Maybe message Brant to see if he knows anything about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks will msg him!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    just to follow up I have been exchanging emails with a very helpful employee from On-one Uk, he was the one who sent me the pictures, he gave me some geo info, he basically said its a newer frame than the Titus X. Is Titus relaunching the Titus Racer X brand?

m11
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How does the geometry compare to the X on the website

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    that sucks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    just to follow up I have been exchanging emails with a very helpful employee from On-one Uk, he was the one who sent me the pictures, he gave me some geo info, he basically said its a newer frame than the Titus X. Is Titus relaunching the Titus Racer X brand?
    Some friends had Racer-Xs; and they were beefier than the X I bought. So that might be good for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Liternit, i'd be stoked if i were you - assuming that the geo is unchanged (or tweaked in a direction that you prefer). not only do you get the full carbon rear end (from the carbon X and ti X), which is stronger and stiffer than the troubled lite rail rear end (i haven't heard any issues with the full carbon rear end), but you are also getting a newer design front triangle with desired features such as the tapered HT (looks like it).

racer x is just a name. last i heard, titus regretted changing the name to just X, and naming an older/cheaper version as the Racer X (kinda hurting the name). looks like they may be reinstating the well known racer x name on their top level XC bike, and dropping the X name. (unless they keep the x name on the carbon and ti versions, if they start making ti again)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast