mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Which to Build EG or ML???

After reading the reviews in MBA a couple months ago, I went out and ordered an EG. However, before it came in, I got my hands on a ML2. So now both frames are just sitting in my garage ready to swap parts from my 5-spot. My spot is built up pretty XC ish so the parts would fit better on the ML.

My riding style is more AM then XC, but I rarely do any drops over 3'. As I have not rode either, I need some help.

the 36 year old grom
    I would build up all three.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA_MTBR
    After reading the reviews in MBA a couple months ago, I went out and ordered an EG. However, before it came in, I got my hands on a ML2. So now both frames are just sitting in my garage ready to swap parts from my 5-spot. My spot is built up pretty XC ish so the parts would fit better on the ML.

My riding style is more AM then XC, but I rarely do any drops over 3'. As I have not rode either, I need some help.
    The ML can handle that...and a little more. Are you looking to "progress" your riding style towards more light freeride or remain in the safe confines of AM-dom? Where and what do you normally ride? Any racing planned?

Would be nice to ride both, but that'll be difficult.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No racing in the future. It seems everytime that I trying to progress to a more freeride style, I brake something (parts or myself). I enjoy the occasional log ride and drop and have frequented whistler BC trails on my Spot. The downhill thing just does not do it for me. I am finding that I am becoming more conservative with every year of riding. However, I also feel the need to progressively get more travel.

I would love to keep my spot, but I have been riding them for four years now and its time for a change. I hope either the EG or ML is the answer. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep all three. (in reality my marriage can't afford me keeping all three - its all about compromise.)

the 36 year old grom
    Think of the motolite it as a 5 inch flux. If I was currently on a spot... looking for a more laid back ride with more travel, I would not be thinking ML. the motolite is a blast in the hands of an aggressive rider. for example Geolover is to chiken to ride a ML.

I really like the guapo. its the stiffest and best handling bike I've ever riden....but It has a very low BB height. and front derailure fit is very tight.

searcher
    Do you climb a lot during your rides? If so, and climbing is important, then it is the ML .
    Kovi

club très grand de VTT
    I've never tried the El Guapo (I ride a medium ML), but my riding style is even 'meeker' than yours, if I can use the phrase, certainly no 3' drops for me. Yet. Maybe... [gets off to push].

Certainly the ML will allow you, and indeed egg you on to ride more aggressively, and certainly rewards you for it. However, I do find it has a wonderful ride quality and solidity to it, and you can set it up as hard-core or as plush as you like. I am still learning and fine-tuning after 8 months.

How much do you weigh, and are you a finesse rider? As a previous poster noted, if you are climbing a lot/prefer a lighter bike/are just a plain and simple weight weenie, the ML will save you a few pounds over a full-on El G setup.

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

Bike to the Bone...

You're solution is pretty easy. Build up the ML, and send me the EG frame... thanks

I think both are pretty nice bikes. I have a ML that I really like. But I guess it depends on which tipes of riding you do. I don't thinkl that you need to do big drops to justify an EG.

If I had to buy again, I would choose an EG, but the ML is a killer machine.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    ...for example Geolover is to chiken to ride a ML...

I'm "chikin" of voiding the warranty when I put my 36 Talas on it.

thats right living legend
    Since you've been on a Spot the last four yrs mabye it's time to reach out and see what you can do with a 6' bike that's made for drops with the right geo and everything. Mabye that's all you needed to feel confident?

Other wise the ML will serve you well right up to the scary stuff, but you will most likely stay scared.

Me? I've learned to live with fear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So, I'm torn. The EG is a beautiful bike. I really like the look of it compared to the ML2. I am very concerned about the carbon stays and conversly I am conserned about adding about 4lbs to my bike.

1. Anyone with experience of going from a 28lb bike to a 32lb bike please let me know if it significantly affected your ability to climb. (I would swap my Talas 32 r for a Talas 36 RC2 and my ZTR/King wheelset for some DT Swiss/Hope)

2. I do a LOT of falling. I always seem to be pushing the edge of my abilities. It is not infrequent that my bike will pass me up on the downhill (if you know what I meen). Will the carbon stays last?????

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I live in Washington State and enjoy the technical ascent as much as the descent. Unfortunatley, I am in the Navy and move every two to three years. I need one all around bike.

MC MasterShake
    I've owned both. If you think you'll be pushing drops and stunts go with the EG. If you're going to be racing and doing longer XC type rides go with the ML. The ML is lighter and snappier. The EG is heavy and plush. They can each cross over somewhat except the EG won't brake if you ride too much XC with it.

The EG is an excellent climber. I'm actually making more technical climbs with my EG than with my ML. I have not found the extra weight be limiting me at all. Any loss of climbing I more than make up in the downhill and cornering ability. I'm taking my EG on a 4 day weekend of mostly XC riding this weekend and I plan to do a 24 hour race with her in 3 weeks.

horseman
    Sep 2005

El G v MotoII

I rode the El G this last weekend for hours here in Vt out of the demo truck It was set up in a more freeride bias and I think that with some 2.3s instead of those 2.5's, and whatever AM set up you prefer, the El G will do what ever you want. The short cockpit lets you move it and you all over to deal with whatever you find going up or down. Most definitely the downs are confidence builders and the ups (with a 32 in the back) only requires fitness or stamina. If you don't plan on racing XC, go El G.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    it's time to reach out and see what you can do with a 6' bike
    Heck, with a 6' travel bike he could set the sag at 50% and he wouldn't even notice a 3' drop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

7.84lbs vs. 5.86lbs

I just weighed the two frames and there is a two pound difference between the two. Two pounds with only a inch more travel. I am really starting to lean towards the EG. The ML2 does not seem as beefy as my 5 Spot and I've broken one of those already. However the reason I am looking at something other then an RFX or a new Spot is that I wanted a little stiffer ride. I am concerned that the EG will be actually more plush then my spot
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats right living legend
    By stiffer I assume you mean firmer pedaling?

I'd put that ML with carbon stay's up against your spot any day in the toughness dept.... and I consider the Spot very tough.

Trophy Husband
    I just weighed the two frames and there is a two pound difference between the two. Two pounds with only a inch more travel. I am really starting to lean towards the EG.
    Just remember, you'll gain a half a pound when you get rid of that POS pearl and at least put a DHXair on the El G. My guess is you'll not know the difference (in weight).

Two nice lookin' frames you got there...maybe you should bring that El Guapoo up to Bellingham and let me take it for a test spin. I've even got a spare DHXair that will fit it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Geolover- Just up at Galby last weekend. What a mess. I think I came down with more mud then my bike did. I've actually posted my EG for sale on MTBR, but since it has not sold yet, I can still make the switch.

Right now, since I don't have the right parts to build up the EG properly. I may build up the ML2 from my XCish Spot and ride it out. Do a couple drops and climbs and see how it fits me. If I don't like it I can always shift back to my EG. I won't have a new frame to sell then, but its worth the couple hundred bucks for the piece of mind that I made the right call.

Right now I have around $5000 (Spot, ML2, EG) in frames in my living room; what's a couple hundred bucks. If the EG sells between then and now, well it was not ment to be.

"Its All Good"
    Sea M = Indeed a dilema....I have a ML which I love, one of my all time favorite bikes I have ever ridden.... Gives me a smile a mile wide each and every ride....

Just spent sometime in the USA, so I ordered up a Demo EL G from Competitive Cyclist...

The bike blew me away....

If I was in your situation, and could only have one bike, I would in an instant go with the EL G, have two shocks, 2 wheels sets... I couldnt really notice the extra weight at all, it climbed great, was stiffer than a honeymooners chopper, all round it was the ducks nuts...

Me waiting now for a Ti El G, then the job is sorted....

Good luck either way, both awesome frames period. But the ML is a winner, think they have produced a beast with the El G, momentum will gain fast with this puppy.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would build up The Handsome One to a light 30.5 pounds if you like to spend money.

I would build up The Awesome One otherwise.