Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Broke the Carbon Fiber Seat Stays on My New '09 Titus X Exogrid

I recently purchased an ’09 Titus X Exogrid. The carbon fiber seat stays snapped like little twigs after only about 20 miles on the bike. I was out on my second ride and had stopped for a moment before climbing a short steep section of the trail. When I was ready to get moving again, I pushed down on the pedal and heard a “snap”…I looked down and saw that both of the carbon fiber seat stays had broken at the bottom, near the aluminum brackets. Keep in mind that this was not the result of hucking off of a 4’ drop (or even a 1’ drop for that matter). This occurred from a simple push of the pedal after only about 20 miles of total riding. I’m a 160 lb rider and didn’t even have 5 lbs of accessories at the time so I know the bike was not overloaded (bike weighs 24.5 lbs by the way).

Has anyone else seen / heard of this issue with the new ’09 “Light Rail” rear triangles?

Also, I posted a review about the bike last week and it has been deleted. Anyone know why this is?

mtbr member
    Post pictures

Training for vacation
    sweet
    2x Post pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by txmountainbiker
    I recently purchased an ’09 Titus X Exogrid. The carbon fiber seat stays snapped like little twigs after only about 20 miles on the bike. I was out on my second ride and had stopped for a moment before climbing a short steep section of the trail. When I was ready to get moving again, I pushed down on the pedal and heard a “snap”…I looked down and saw that both of the carbon fiber seat stays had broken at the bottom, near the aluminum brackets. Keep in mind that this was not the result of hucking off of a 4’ drop (or even a 1’ drop for that matter). This occurred from a simple push of the pedal after only about 20 miles of total riding. I’m a 160 lb rider and didn’t even have 5 lbs of accessories at the time so I know the bike was not overloaded (bike weighs 24.5 lbs by the way).

Has anyone else seen / heard of this issue with the new ’09 “Light Rail” rear triangles?

Also, I posted a review about the bike last week and it has been deleted. Anyone know why this is?
    I saw your review and also noticed that you copied and pasted it in two different places. Honestly, it looked fake to me (as does this). I mean really, what makes you think people would believe you or care? Jeez, your post says you posted a stupid review a week ago but you have not even contacted your dealer about this problem. If this is real, it is just stupid. Sorry for the rant but please.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I pushed down on the pedal and heard a “snap”…
    I am sure it happened just like that...

NOT Team Sanchez
    One post.............I smell a troll. How could you have posted a review when you've got one post? Do the mods delete your posting stats when they supposedly take down your review?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I agree some pictures are in order.

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If the review got copied and pasted in two different places, it was an accident and I apologize for that. I finished writing the review and tried to post it only to find out that you have to be a member to write a review. So, I registered and tried posting the review again. I’ve been on this site many times before to read reviews about parts and bikes but have never had the need (before now that is) to post a review or thread in the forums. We all have to start somewhere, right?!?! As far as the posting stats and deleting reviews goes, I’m not sure how all of that works. I posted a review about the bike last week (which was my first post) and now it’s gone. I started this thread today (which is my second post). I can only speculate that since the review was deleted, this thread shows to be my first post.

As for the review and thread looking like they’re fakes, I don’t know what to tell you other than I wrote a review about what I thought of the bike in the short time that I was able to ride it. And yes, it happened just like that. I went out for my first ride on the bike last Tuesday (about 12 miles) and all went well. I was out on my second ride on the bike last Wednesday. I was about 8 miles into the ride on the same trail system when I had to stop for a short steep section of trail. I came around a blind corner in too high of a gear to make it up the section (and had come up on it too fast to gear down in time) so I came to a complete stop and shifted down to the small chain ring. I lifted the back tire and rotated the crank so that the chain would actually drop down. When I stepped on the pedal to get going again, the chain stays just snapped. Believe what you want to believe but that’s exactly how it happened!

What makes me think that people would believe me or care? Well let’s see…maybe because this a mountain bike review site!!! After all, this is where people come to read reviews that ACTUAL people write about the ACTUAL equipment that they own/ride! And, if you read my review you know that I also wrote that I wasn’t out just trying to bash Titus. I own a ’08 Ti Motolite that I’ve put 1,250 miles on and haven’t had a single bit of trouble with the frame. I think the bike is awesome! To top it off, I own a Titus road bike as well. It’s been a great bike too.

Who ever said that I didn’t contact my dealer about this problem? I called them about 10 minutes after it happened and took the bike back to them the very next day. They had not seen it before but that in no way means that it hasn’t happened before. They told me that they would contact Titus to check into the matter and get a replacement part on the way. I posted the review before I heard back on what Titus had to say because I felt it was my duty to warn others that there may be an issue with the new “Light Rail” rear triangle. Even if Titus was to replace the seat stays “no questions asked”, that does not change the fact that the rear triangle broke after 20 miles of xc riding and that just should not happen. I then posted this thread to ask if anyone else has had or heard of this issue. I mean come on, isn’t this exactly what this site is for?!?!

So tell my why “If this is real, it is just stupid”. What exactly is stupid about letting people know that there might be an issue with a product and trying to find out if anyone else is having the same issue you are?

I’m sorry that I don’t have any pictures to post. I don’t own a digital camera and I took the bike back to the shop last Thursday.

mtbr member
    Maybe titus jeff can validate if he heard about an exo x with snapped chain stays.
    For me, it's hard to believe that someone who has money for an exo will not have a cell phone with digital camera inside. Do you have any pic of your exo?

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    For all of us that have worked in a shop it sounds like JRA.

mtbr member

Proof is in the pictures

I wont believe it until I see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ಠ_ಠ
    I felt it was my duty to warn others that there may be an issue with the new “Light Rail” rear triangle. Even if Titus was to replace the seat stays “no questions asked”, that does not change the fact that the rear triangle broke after 20 miles of xc riding and that just should not happen. I then posted this thread to ask if anyone else has had or heard of this issue. I mean come on, isn’t this exactly what this site is for?!?!
    if you're such a great e-citizen, then it's your duty to borrow a digital camera and post a picture. otherwise go back to living under your bridge...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yules
    ....For me, it's hard to believe that someone who has money for an exo will not have a cell phone with digital camera inside. Do you have any pic of your exo?
    Absototally agree. Even if its a crappy fone or cam. One on the faulty area and one of the whole bike.

Both stays snapping at the same time!

Paper or plastic?
    You have to understand the skepticism. Your first post on the site is to talk about a broken carbon stay, with no pics to back it up. It's entirely possible, but it's also subject to a bit of suspicion. If you'd been on the board for a while, posting pics of your steed, and then come back and tell us that you just broke something. People would be more inclined to believe you. This is the internet after all.

Also, usually it's good netiquette to let the mess get sorted out by the manufacturer first and then come back with the story and the resolution.

Welcome to the board though. How do you like your X otherwise?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    My experience with companies like Titus, Turner, Intense, Knolly and a host of other American/CDN builders is that any warranty problem would have been rectified by now and what should have been posted is something that read like this: Broken stays, new ones sent out the same day, back riding within the week great company. Instead of what we are reading here. Don'tcha know you can't fool honest people.

MC MasterShake
    Not to stir up an old hornet's nest but when I posted pics of my broken Moto-lite I was slammed by 90% of the posters. Give a newbie a break...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    First, I wrote an honest review about the bike. I’m only speculating but my opinion is that it was deleted because it didn’t sing the praises of Titus. Shouldn’t this type of web site be impartial? Shouldn’t I be able to write a review about a product regardless of whether it is positive or negative as long as it’s the truth?

Then, I start a thread asking if this has happened to anyone else or if they have heard of it happening to anyone else. Instead of a “wow, no, I haven’t heard of that before…will you post some pics?”, I get a mob calling me a liar. Not a single helpful post from the lot of you (except for woodyak…thanks for standing up for someone you don’t even know!!!).

Tell me this…why would I make this up…why would I be trying to fool anyone…what do I personally have to gain from letting people know that my seat stays snapped after 20 miles on the bike?

As for the warranty, yes Titus has been contacted and yes they are sending replacement seat stays. I don’t know if they were sent out the same day or not. What I do know is that I spent a bunch of money on a bike. I rode it twice and a major component of it failed (with no justifiable reason) and I don’t have my bike back yet. Bottom line is that no matter what Titus says or does, whether it is a design flaw or just a defective part, the rear triangle should not have failed after 20 miles of xc riding.

All I really wanted was to let people know what happen to my bike and find out if this was happening to others.

I was going to borrow a digital camera and snap a few shots to post but I see no need to go out of my way to prove anything to ya’ll! Why bother? I can tell from this crowd that even if I was to post the pics you’d just say that it couldn’t have been from xc riding; that I must have been doing something I shouldn’t.

It’s all about Karma…I can’t wait until one of you or someone you know buys an X and the same thing happens. It would make my day to be able to laugh in your face and say I told you so!

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Blah, blah, blah. Just post some pics and everyone will shut up...kinda...maybe.

mtbr member
    First, I wrote an honest review about the bike. I’m only speculating but my opinion is that it was deleted because it didn’t sing the praises of Titus. Shouldn’t this type of web site be impartial? Shouldn’t I be able to write a review about a product regardless of whether it is positive or negative as long as it’s the truth?

Then, I start a thread asking if this has happened to anyone else or if they have heard of it happening to anyone else. Instead of a “wow, no, I haven’t heard of that before…will you post some pics?”, I get a mob calling me a liar. Not a single helpful post from the lot of you (except for woodyak…thanks for standing up for someone you don’t even know!!!).

Tell me this…why would I make this up…why would I be trying to fool anyone…what do I personally have to gain from letting people know that my seat stays snapped after 20 miles on the bike?

As for the warranty, yes Titus has been contacted and yes they are sending replacement seat stays. I don’t know if they were sent out the same day or not. What I do know is that I spent a bunch of money on a bike. I rode it twice and a major component of it failed (with no justifiable reason) and I don’t have my bike back yet. Bottom line is that no matter what Titus says or does, whether it is a design flaw or just a defective part, the rear triangle should not have failed after 20 miles of xc riding.

All I really wanted was to let people know what happen to my bike and find out if this was happening to others.

I was going to borrow a digital camera and snap a few shots to post but I see no need to go out of my way to prove anything to ya’ll! Why bother? I can tell from this crowd that even if I was to post the pics you’d just say that it couldn’t have been from xc riding; that I must have been doing something I shouldn’t.

It’s all about Karma…I can’t wait until one of you or someone you know buys an X and the same thing happens. It would make my day to be able to laugh in your face and say I told you so!

Bull crap, you posted this stuff to take a shot at titus. If you had really wanted to know if other people had had problems with the carbon stays, you would have done a search, and found that nobody has had problems with the stays breaking like that. Simple. Done. I mean think, if people were snapping stays by just peddleing their bike, don't you think titus or their dealers would have noticed? I mean really...

If you were honest, you would have also mentioned that your shop/titus was taking care of you.

No, your post was to cry like a baby that something happened to your bike. If it happened or not, it is your post and they way it is written that has gotten people pissed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Vespasianus is it…I think I’ll just call you Anus for short. Are you going to take your ball and go home just because someone has something negative to say about a manufacturer’s product?

I am a Titus fan through and through…I do currently own 3 of their bikes after all. That doesn’t mean they’re infallible. Manufactures often times have issues with new models. When they do, they don’t usually go around announcing it. That just wouldn’t be good business. Instead, they (by they I mean manufacturers in general) usually try to down play the issues and resolve them as quietly as possible.

There has been absolutely nothing dishonest in any of my reviews/posts. I never said that my shop/Titus was not replacing the part. Titus sending replacement seat stays changes nothing. I bought a bike. That bike had a failure when it shouldn’t have. I let people know about my issue and asked if they had experienced / heard of the same issue. “Simple. Done.”

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    PIX or we will start calling you F-Tard for short.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Also, usually it's good netiquette to let the mess get sorted out by the manufacturer first and then come back with the story and the resolution.
    I agree that your thread only gives us half the story. Pictures would help satisfy us wannabe forensic engineers, but failing to mention that you got a replacement part sorted right away makes it sound like you're whining/trolling.

As for your review, how do you figure that 20 miles on a bike (that may have been broken when you got it) qualifies you to rate anything, let alone write an "honest" and "impartial" review? Seems to me that all you can say about your X at this point is that "Titus has good CS".

screamer
    Wow, that sucks. Not exactly what the industry needs right now to silence the carbon haters.

(Not entirely sure what all the ruffled feathers are about here... to me it reads like a simple description of what happened, not trying to smear the manufacturer or complain excessively. Plenty of that going around, for sure... Plus, since this is all anonymous, who's to say who is credible and who isn't? I don't really get where the suspicion comes from...)

Paper or plastic?
    Well, let's see if the new stays fail in 20 miles. Next time we need a pic.

Personnally, I don't see any issue with carbon front triangle, but I'm a bit leery about carbon rear triangle. I believe that R.C. said the same thing in MBA at some point as well.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I think you should have held off posting this possible failure until you spoke with Titus. I say possible failure because we haven't seen any proof. I think Titus owes you an explaination to reassure your confidence in using their product. I can tell you if this happened to me I would want to know that this product would not fail again causing bodily harm. I think you have the right as a consumer to question any product on the market. But I am not a big fan of premature failure posting here on mtbr.com without giving the manufacture a chance to explain the situation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast