mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Braided brake hose and X-Carbon Internal routing?

Will braided brake hose (Hope in my case) fit throughout the internal cable routing channels with a gear cable. I think it is a combined route combined for the rear? or will I have to fit std plastic hose.

Just trying to make sure my build is seamless when I get the frame as I won't have much time before racing.

Any help gratefully accepted.

cheers

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Will braided brake hose (Hope in my case) fit throughout the internal cable routing channels with a gear cable. I think it is a combined route combined for the rear? or will I have to fit std plastic hose.

Just trying to make sure my build is seamless when I get the frame as I won't have much time before racing.

Any help gratefully accepted.

cheers
    Should not be a problem. Route the brake line first. It is VERY easy to run the housing through the tunnels.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well i've just started my build a FTM Carbon and i've got a set of hope brakes with the braided hose, I've fitted the rear brake hose and have found that there's no spare space to fit the front mech cable in aswell. Check out the photo.

So whats the best way to resolve this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Braided brake hose and X-Carbon Internal routing?-build-003-mtbr.jpg  

Dozer
    Use smaller hose.
    Or run as a single speed.

Honestly, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    well i've just started my build a FTM Carbon and i've got a set of hope brakes with the braided hose, I've fitted the rear brake hose and have found that there's no spare space to fit the front mech cable in aswell. Check out the photo.

So whats the best way to resolve this
    Wow. I did not realize the Hope brake line was so large.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think the photo distorts it a little, the Hope lines are a little larger than the Goodridge ones. The goodridge ones are 6mm. I'm just going to check the Hope ones, I'll post their diameter.

The solution is to fit standard hose to the rear brake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't have a carbon FTM, but on my carbon x, the f.der and brake hose exit the frame at the rear through different holes. I have googled a few pictures of the ftm to confirm that the ftm has a similar set up. It looks like you have fed the brake line through the wrong hole. The photos appear to show that hole is for the f.der cable only, and the brake cable exits under the top tube, just above the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    I don't have a carbon FTM, but on my carbon x, the f.der and brake hose exit the frame at the rear through different holes. I have googled a few pictures of the ftm to confirm that the ftm has a similar set up. It looks like you have fed the brake line through the wrong hole. The photos appear to show that hole is for the f.der cable only, and the brake cable exits under the top tube, just above the shock.
    Yes, you are correct. I had to go pick up the bikes at the shop it remember this. The brake line and rear mech housing exit under the TT above the shock.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So, for an X carbon, is it possible to thread both a braided brake hose (hope and goodridge are 6mm OD) and the fr. derthrough the frame routing. And are they separate or the same internal routing.
    I need to know whether to order and change my braided hose or not. I have no local suppliers so will have to wait at least 2 days post frame arrival to get a new brake hose if braided won't fit :-(it'll be tight enough for the race as it is!!! Don't want the first time I ride the bike to be 24 solo!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    So, for an X carbon, is it possible to thread both a braided brake hose (hope and goodridge are 6mm OD) and the fr. derthrough the frame routing. And are they separate or the same internal routing.
    I need to know whether to order and change my braided hose or not. I have no local suppliers so will have to wait at least 2 days post frame arrival to get a new brake hose if braided won't fit :-(it'll be tight enough for the race as it is!!! Don't want the first time I ride the bike to be 24 solo!!
    the f.der housing has its own routing. the r.der housing and brake line are routed together in the other route. the holes for the combined r.der/brake routing are much bigger than the f.der routing. My XX brake line + r.der have lots of room to fit through the frame, with plenty to spare. I'd be very surprised if your brake cable didn't fit. i can't find my calipers, but the 3 year old goodridge lines on my other bike don't look that much bigger than the XX ones on my carbon X.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks to all as it's now sorted and it fits perfectly but now thinking of getting goodridge hoses in red