mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blackspire Stinger not working on V2 El Guapo

I'm running a 3x9 Truvativ crank that I switched to a 2x9 and bashguard. I bought a Blackspire Stinger ISCG'05 but it won't fit. The ISCG mount sticks out too far and the Stinger hardware interferes with the hardware for the small ring. I already had one spacer in there so the little ring would have clearance to the ISCG mount, I can't add anymore spacers for additional clearance (tried it). I even tried filing the button heads down on the chainring to give me some clearance but it's just too close. The mount sticks out so far that I can't see it being useful for anything but a single front ring, or maybe a newer 2x10 crank that has different ring spacing. The Stinger got a bit scratched up in the process of mocking it up so it looks like I'm stuck with it. Just a heads up if you are thinking about trying it out.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem. Sold the stinger and bought a Bionicon C guide. Works great and I haven't lost the chain yet. Although, I am running 1x10 with inner and outer BBG bashguards.

mtbr member
    I ran a stinger with both RF Atlas cranks with a 2x9 bash with a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. I also ran a stinger with X9 26/39 setup with only a 1mm spacer on the drive side. Flush mount ISCG tabs are problematic when running multiple chainrings up front, I think the idea was engineered for a single ring w/ no granny. I second the Bionicon V2 guide, I've run one all summer with zero issues, minimal chainslap, its almost like running chainless!

Off the back...
    Hmm. I ran a Stinger for a couple years with an XT crank in 2x9 formation. Two spacers on the drive side BB cup and none on the non-drive side. The chainline wasn't perfect, but I didn't have problems shifting or keeping the chain on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting, maybe the mount on mine was welded with the wrong offset or I have some weird match of parts? I need to run a spacer on the drive side just to provide clearance for the inner ring.

Dont Rep me
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    I had the same problem. Sold the stinger and bought a Bionicon C guide. Works great and I haven't lost the chain yet. Although, I am running 1x10 with inner and outer BBG bashguards.
    Where on the chainstay did you mount the C-Guide? Got a pic?
    My EG will be 1x10 with outer bash and NGear inner catcher, and the chain stay shape is not ideal for C-guide.

mtbr member

Had a thread on it

Here:
    New little gadget
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blackspire Stinger not working on V2 El Guapo-p1020730-1-.jpg  

Dont Rep me
    Cool, tnx.
    Don't think I will bother with wrapping the chain stay, the C-guide should eliminate the chainslap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    looks like I'm not the only one who has had this issue:

Chainguide compatibilty woes, Blackspire Stinger vs. Titus El Guapo Singletrack Forum

I ordered a Bionicon C-Guide today, thanks for the suggestion.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer.2 View Post
    Cool, tnx.
    Don't think I will bother with wrapping the chain stay, the C-guide should eliminate the chainslap.
    Chain slap still happens on the top of the stay.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Interesting, maybe the mount on mine was welded with the wrong offset or I have some weird match of parts? I need to run a spacer on the drive side just to provide clearance for the inner ring.
    If your crankset uses a GXP BB spacers on the driveside do not change the chainline. The spindle floats in the driveside bearing. The shoulder on the spindle sits against the left side bearing for lateral location.

ISCG-05 does not have a spec for the tab offset. Just shows that if there is offset it is preferred to be in 2.5mm increments
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Dont Rep me
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Chain slap still happens on the top of the stay.
    The short cage X9 derailleur spring tension is so strong that it keeps the chain tight, may not even need the C-Guide with this derailleur.