Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    involuntary dismounter
    Reputation: dHarriet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,395

    Good job! biking with the Whafe

    have had the pleasure of biking with the flying spanish kiwi the last couple of days ...and i have to say...the dude sure can bike...

    even thought i've spent the majority of my AZ biking days flying solo i have on occasion ventured out with others...biking with someone this good is pretty freakin' cool ...and he even waits for me when i'm flyin' granny or hike-a-bikin' like it was going out of style...

    here is some action shots of the flying spanish kiwi...he sure can make that blingy bike of his do some awesome stuff...and i'd show you more pics...if i didn't suck so bad as a action-shot photographer!

    Attachment 272251
    Attachment 272252
    Attachment 272253
    Attachment 272254
    Attachment 272255

    just one tip...if you ever get a cance to ride with this dude...make sure if you're behind him that you don't get too close..............the smell can most definitely kill you!
    Last edited by dHarriet; 12-01-2007 at 02:00 AM.
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!


    friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

  2. #2
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,363
    Jezus. Put some air in your tires, bro. 2 foot to flat and nearly a double pinch flat.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,826
    Go the Whafe!!!
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Jezus. Put some air in your tires, bro. 2 foot to flat and nearly a double pinch flat.
    Why thank you dH................ Its all good, was a fun day riding, dam hot but fun.......

    tscheezy, bro I expect that from you . Didnt get a pinch flat, but will check my air. It may have gone to the top of the tire ................. Its a Titus, it will never fly like a Turner, I accept that fully...............
    Last edited by Whafe; 06-15-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  5. #5
    involuntary dismounter
    Reputation: dHarriet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,395

    some more...

    i take full responsibility for the suckage of these photos ...they don't do the biking quality justice...

    Attachment 272266
    Attachment 272288
    Attachment 272289
    Attachment 272290
    Attachment 272291
    Last edited by dHarriet; 12-01-2007 at 01:59 AM.
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!


    friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

  6. #6
    involuntary dismounter
    Reputation: dHarriet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,395

    and one more for good measure...

    goes without saying that gigi and i came down that with the aide of that rock...

    Attachment 272292
    Last edited by dHarriet; 12-01-2007 at 01:59 AM.
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!


    friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

  7. #7
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377
    As good a camera work as I've ever seen.

    And sick riding Whafe! I'm very impressed.

  8. #8
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Yes, dam well enjoy the ML, it is a blast to ride. Am getting at one with my scooter.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  9. #9
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Yes, dam well enjoy the ML, it is a blast to ride. Am getting at one with my scooter.....
    dARN IT NOW i WANT TO RIDE WITH WHAFY

  10. #10
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    dARN IT NOW i WANT TO RIDE WITH WHAFY
    well bro, bring that SuMo to Peru in October.... That will give that bad boy a work out.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  11. #11
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    well i'm free tomarow....

  12. #12
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,788
    sweet pics, dH!
    and awesome riding Whafe!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    it's those red spokes that make Whafe fly

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,352

    Good job! Warp!!

    You better take those pictures out before somebody at Titus sees them and voids Whafe's warranty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    have had the pleasure of biking with the flying spanish kiwi the last couple of days ...and i have to say...the dude sure can bike...

    even thought i've spent the majority of my AZ biking days flying solo i have on occasion ventured out with others...biking with someone this good is pretty freakin' cool ...and he even waits for me when i'm flyin' granny or hike-a-bikin' like it was going out of style...

    here is some action shots of the flying spanish kiwi...he sure can make that blingy bike of his do some awesome stuff...and i'd show you more pics...if i didn't suck so bad as a action-shot photographer!

    Attachment 272251
    Attachment 272252
    Attachment 272253
    Attachment 272254
    Attachment 272255

    just one tip...if you ever get a cance to ride with this dude...make sure if you're behind him that you don't get too close..............the smell can most definitely kill you!

  15. #15
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377

    Shooooot...

    Quote Originally Posted by craigster
    You better take those pictures out before somebody at Titus sees them and voids Whale's warranty!!

    That's the exact intended use of that frame. ... and right around where it was born and raised.

  16. #16
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    That's the exact intended use of that frame. ... and right around where it was born and raised.
    Agree BA, that puppy has been doing that for a year now, better be able to handle that..... And yes, especially in its home state....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  17. #17
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377

    As A Matter Of Fact...

    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Agree BA, that puppy has been doing that for a year now, better be able to handle that..... And yes, especially in its home state....

    It reminds me of pics of the exact same terrain and kind of riding that were coming out of the "Titus guy's" riding the al ML months before it's debut. Man I wish I could find those pics! I've looked several times and can't find em. They were running a Pike on it too.

  18. #18
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    It reminds me of pics of the exact same terrain and kind of riding that were coming out of the "Titus guy's" riding the al ML months before it's debut. Man I wish I could find those pics! I've looked several times and can't find em. They were running a Pike on it too.
    Not sure I would like to put a Coil spring on the ML, I would then do more... But the Pike is a standout fork, truly has been thrashed for a year now and still going real strong.... And I was a Marz man.... But this fork has excelled, as is my Totem, has not had the riding the Pike has though....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  19. #19
    I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Reputation: MintSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    507
    Nice going Whafe! Looking smooth!
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Whafe
    has
    a
    flying
    exogrid

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    112
    those pics are awesome!!! I hafta get to AZ to ride

  22. #22
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Graet actions shots DH, and Whafe! impressive riding

  23. #23
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,132
    Nice shots dH!

    Loooooking goood Whafebrah!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,163
    the terrain looks killer....thanks for posting the kicka$$ pics.




    Chad

  25. #25
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    the terrain looks killer....thanks for posting the kicka$$ pics.
    Chad
    Chad, dude, the tires kicked A$$ too. Real good tires, am fully impressed
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    Such cool terrain and great pics. Which Schwalbes are those? They are Schwalbes, right?

  27. #27
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Such cool terrain and great pics. Which Schwalbes are those? They are Schwalbes, right?
    Yep, sure are... Big Betty 2.4 on the front and a Nobby Nic Evo 2.4 on the back..... These have been fully awesome tires loving them.... The 2.4 Nobby Nic on the rear is a mighty tight fit, around 1mm spare, too much air and the tire doesnt fit... Will go to a 2.25 Nobby Nic for the rear next time...

    The front is the most important for me, and the Big Betty is the one, fantastic tire, rolls well and grips like shiat to an army blanket....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    That would be my perfect tire combo for around here too. I was looking into this for the last couple of days and came up with a similiar combo for ultimate grip and decent rolling resistance for these LONG climbs.

    Either that or both NNs for even faster work but the grip of the BBs will be nice on the steep and loose stuff. Chad knows terrains and rider styles so well. I think Larry likes the BBs too, for good reason. I wish they made a 2.2 or 2.3 UST version- I'd run them without question.

    Actually, I wish Schwalbe made the BB and NN in 2.3 tubeless- that's my wish list for today. The 2.4 is a tight fit and 2.1 a bit narrow. I'm glad you liked that combo. One of these days, I'll pack up and head to AZ- probably this winter. Hopefully, some local mtbr riders will be kind enough to show me the trails for a day or two. Again, great pictures and it's good to see you're putting that ML through the paces!

  29. #29
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer

    Actually, I wish Schwalbe made the BB and NN in 2.3 tubeless- that's my wish list for today. The 2.4 is a tight fit and 2.1 a bit narrow.
    the NN is available in 2.25 UST (the non UST is about 2.1 "real size", no idea on the UST)

  30. #30
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    the NN is available in 2.25 UST (the non UST is about 2.1 "real size", no idea on the UST)
    Yep, th 2.4 NN as I said is tight as a crabs ares and thats water tight on the back of the ML... dH has NN 2.25 UST on the front and back.... I really like the BB 2.4 on the front, front is more important to me, the rear end just follows ...

    I got two sets, 1 set from Larry and 1 set from Chad... But am worried that the 2.4 NN Evo will be too much if there is any sign of mud, purely becuase of the tight fit....

    I want to put Schwalbes on the Nicolai, I am that stoked with them..... May use the slightly too wide 2.4 NN for the rare of the Nicolai to make use of it

    Cris, how does the 575 handle a 2.4 NN on the rare, may send it to you...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  31. #31
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Yep, th 2.4 NN as I said is tight as a crabs ares and thats water tight on the back of the ML... dH has NN 2.25 UST on the front and back.... I really like the BB 2.4 on the front, front is more important to me, the rear end just follows ...

    I got two sets, 1 set from Larry and 1 set from Chad... But am worried that the 2.4 NN Evo will be too much if there is any sign of mud, purely becuase of the tight fit....

    I want to put Schwalbes on the Nicolai, I am that stoked with them..... May use the slightly too wide 2.4 NN for the rare of the Nicolai to make use of it

    Cris, how does the 575 handle a 2.4 NN on the rare, may send it to you...
    Hi Fenton...

    the 2.4 NN works out great on the 575, since I have no "bridge" I have no clearance issues.... well if you want to send it my way .. I won't mind ;-) (I'd pay the shipping )

    check it out

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/517587785/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/240/517587785_ab5c49c9f8_o.jpg" width="1280" height="960" alt="just a bit muddy" /></a>



    BTW, I received the used Betty I bought on ebay.. and it looks good.. a little porky at 900g..but good

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/583092706/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1352/583092706_289b8479f1_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="big betty 2.4 &amp; pike" /></a>

  32. #32
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Hi Fenton...

    the 2.4 NN works out great on the 575, since I have no "bridge" I have no clearance issues.... well if you want to send it my way .. I won't mind ;-) (I'd pay the shipping )

    check it out

    BTW, I received the used Betty I bought on ebay.. and it looks good.. a little porky at 900g..but good
    Looks like you have good clearence for a 2.4 on the Yeti... I will just suss out if I can put it on the Nicolai, if not, I send it your way...

    Who has the best prices on Troy Lee Design helmets in Germany? Cheers, Fenton
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  33. #33
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Looks like you have good clearence for a 2.4 on the Yeti... I will just suss out if I can put it on the Nicolai, if not, I send it your way...

    Who has the best prices on Troy Lee Design helmets in Germany? Cheers, Fenton
    allright!

    I am going to take a look on local TLD prices.... on a quick search I foing the bike-mailorder in Berlin sells TLD, they usually have "decent" prices... I will look for more and let you know, ok? (scroll down on the link below, some fox products appear on top, I don't know why)

    http://www.bike-mailorder.de/herstel...signs_183.html


    EDIT: Damn TLD is expensive gear ... I suspect strongly that you might get a better deal importing it from the US.... doesn't seem like prices on TLD are good around here..

    another link http://www.boardx.de/troy-designs-m-...page=2&sort=2a

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    I understand that another good Schwalbe tire is the Albert- my choice would be the 2.35 UST. I've heard good things about those as well as the Maxxis Ignitors in 2.35 UST, especially in the loose stuff. I'll have to ask this tire question on the CO forum but guys like Chad and Larry know tires well since they ride in the loose stuff in the Rockies most of the time and try out all sorts of new tires when they get them.

    You couldn't have talked to better sources of info if you tried. They have an unbiased wealth of knowledge but never push you into stuff they stock or stuff they sell a lot of.

  35. #35
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I understand that another good Schwalbe tire is the Albert- my choice would be the 2.35 UST. I've heard good things about those as well as the Maxxis Ignitors in 2.35 UST, especially in the loose stuff. I'll have to ask this tire question on the CO forum but guys like Chad and Larry know tires well since they ride in the loose stuff in the Rockies most of the time and try out all sorts of new tires when they get them.

    You couldn't have talked to better sources of info if you tried. They have an unbiased wealth of knowledge but never push you into stuff they stock or stuff they sell a lot of.
    Yes indeed Larry and Chad recommended the Big Betty for the front and the Nobby Nic for the rare.............. I cam going to try some Muddy Mary on the Nicolai....

    Yep Bob, Larry and Chad rate highly, Bike n Bean are great, and my LBS here in Spain SBR, the rest suck...... Would have gone to 30 LBS's in Az and we called say 40 LBS's in Los Angeles to see if they had any TLD D2 Carbon full face helmets, hard to shell that much money out without trying one on for size and fit.. Bell helmets just dont fit my head.... So not one LBS in LOs Angeles had stock of TLD helmets... The worst thing is when the LBS says, we can order it for you... Well I can do the same, get it quicker and cheaper... I dont at all mind paying more if it is in stock etc. But not for them to order it....

    Rant over...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    That is frustrating. You would think a big shop would stock a few of those. At full retail, they make enough $$.

    Since I moved to CO, I've been sliding around dangerously on my tires so I'm on the hunt for some good ones. I have a lightly used set of NN 2.25s I may just put on but without a compressor, it make the tire impossible to seat. Maybe one of those big shot CO2 things will do the trick.


    I considered the Big Betty but I'm all about UST right now- they will have the BB in UST in a few months so till them, I may go with the UST Alberts or NNs, or possibly the Maxxis Ignitors, if they compare favorably. Once the BB is in UST, that will go in the front (even on a 819) and a NN or Albert in the rear.

    Those Muddy Marys looks great. They should make a smaller version of that as well. These tire manufacturers are a year behind on UST offerings in appropriate sizes- that's my rant

  37. #37
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    That is frustrating. You would think a big shop would stock a few of those. At full retail, they make enough $$.

    Since I moved to CO, I've been sliding around dangerously on my tires so I'm on the hunt for some good ones. I have a lightly used set of NN 2.25s I may just put on but without a compressor, it make the tire impossible to seat. Maybe one of those big shot CO2 things will do the trick.


    I considered the Big Betty but I'm all about UST right now- they will have the BB in UST in a few months so till them, I may go with the UST Alberts or NNs, or possibly the Maxxis Ignitors, if they compare favorably. Once the BB is in UST, that will go in the front (even on a 819) and a NN or Albert in the rear.

    Those Muddy Marys looks great. They should make a smaller version of that as well. These tire manufacturers are a year behind on UST offerings in appropriate sizes- that's my rant
    No slipping bro......No I havnt been able to seat one with a Co2 thingy. That air seeps out of the tire quicker anyway. Just pump it hardy on your pump....

    I am using the Big Betty non UST with no Tube. No issues....

    All good
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  38. #38
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    No slipping bro......No I havnt been able to seat one with a Co2 thingy. That air seeps out of the tire quicker anyway. Just pump it hardy on your pump....

    I am using the Big Betty non UST with no Tube. No issues....

    All good
    Whafe, R U running the DT/Eclipse strips in your rims?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    Nice- I may just try the Big Betty regular in front as long as it fits on the 819. I have a Stan's rim strip lying around too- if needed. I think it will be just fine though it is at the 819's upper end of tire size. If I remember correctly, you're running the DT5.1- a wider rim than the 819.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •