Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Biker Bob just pimped my ride !!!

I just got a ride in on my new Talas fork. The thing just rocks! I love the three position travel adjust. 140mm is perfect for the Motolite going downhill. And the 100mm setting is perfect for going uphill. When I installed it I took two spacers out (previous fork was a 90 to 130 Talas) to make for the 100mm travel in the lower travel setting. Was very happy on the short ride that I took. Right now I am running the RP3 but I can't wait to throw the DHX back on and do some serious downhill shredding. Anybody else running the new Talas on the Motolite? After one ride I am all smiles. The only minor gripe I have is I don't feel a positive detent in the 140mm setting.

Kudos to Bikerbob! Bob, you got the fork to me early but unfortunately the wife didn't want to get up from her nap to answer the mail man knock on the front door. So I had to spend the whole weekend thinking about the fork sitting at the post office.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris9702l; 08-02-2006 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Forgot the pic

Here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Bro, can't do what you asked for, Sorry. I don't have attributes to do so.

I'll try to work it out anyway.

BTW... Your fork looks sweet! Keep us updated on how it does with time.
    Oh, and clear your PM box.
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    I'm also waiting for an upgrade from BikerBob. A DHX 5.0 Coil and 8" XT front rotor.... I'm thinking that the 8" rotor will be the cause of one or two endos if I'm not carefull and grab a handfull....

"Its All Good"
    Sounds mint Chris. Yes for me am stoked also, Bob has on its way to me my Push'd RP23... Yeah ha.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

searcher
    I gotta spend some money on my bike, too.
    Kovi

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Aweome! The fork looks real sweet.

Now.. go get it dirrrrty!!!

Cheers,
    Cris

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    The only minor gripe I have is I don't feel a positive detent in the 130mm setting.
    Hey Chris!

I think there shouldn't be a 130mm detent on your 07 Talas. It is supposed to be 100-120-140, (I could be wrong though)

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can someone please explain the benefits of running a PUSHed RP3 on a Motolite? I have a RP23 on my brand new Motolite and I never use the pro-pedal on it: The bike pedals perfectly well without it, so what is the point of the PUSH upgrade?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Crisillo (damn, I need to start spell checking and proof reading my posts before submitting them),
    The 130 detent I referred to is actually the 140mm detent. There are positive detents for the 100 and 120 positions but there is just a stop where the 140 position is. I definitely get the correct amount of travel in each position. The thing I love is no more twisting and twisting while trying to steer the bike with one hand. Just reach down, flick, and go!

Chris

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    Can someone please explain the benefits of running a PUSHed RP3 on a Motolite? I have a RP23 on my brand new Motolite and I never use the pro-pedal on it: The bike pedals perfectly well without it, so what is the point of the PUSH upgrade?

If I'm not mistaken, Push does more than just add platform...

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    If I'm not mistaken, Push does more than just add platform...
    I've heard Fox designs its suspension systems around people weighing 180lbs. If you're much heavier or lighter than that I think the custom tuning is especially valuable.

But, it's also important to get your shock serviced every once is awhile. The price difference between the standard service and the custom tuning is not that great, so I've always gone ahead and had them custom valve my shocks.
    Last edited by dulyebr; 08-04-2006 at 06:16 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I've heard Fox designs its suspension systems around people weighing 180lbs. If your much heavier or lighter than that I think the custom tuning is especially valuable.
    They use almost no compression damping. Very little compared to other brands. RP series is quite better, but once you break the platform, the compression damping is very little.

So... yes, there's room for improvement and custom tuning would be good. Of course, ride the thing first, if it doesn't suits you, then upgrade.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Not at all wanting to hijak Chris's post...

I want the RP23, purely becasue the pro pedal is either on or off, rather than the 3 way setting on the RP3.... I agree the sus is perfect. But in Spain here we have some real smooth fire trails, I want to be able to more or less lock it out. To haul a s s up the track...

And in having to have it sent to Spain by Bob, I thought, might as well have it sorted by Push, as Duly mentions, it will not hurt to get it serviced and fully sorted, the extra is very little..... So it should be here shortly, have the tracking thingy majingy form Bob, so all go......

like a whole lotta fonzzies
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    I just got a ride in on my new Talas fork. The thing just rocks! I love the three position travel adjust. 140mm is perfect for the Motolite going downhill. And the 100mm setting is perfect for going uphill. When I installed it I took two spacers out (previous fork was a 90 to 130 Talas) to make for the 100mm travel in the lower travel setting. Was very happy on the short ride that I took. Right now I am running the RP3 but I can't wait to throw the DHX back on and do some serious downhill shredding. Anybody else running the new Talas on the Motolite? After one ride I am all smiles. The only minor gripe I have is I don't feel a positive detent in the 140mm setting.

Kudos to Bikerbob! Bob, you got the fork to me early but unfortunately the wife didn't want to get up from her nap to answer the mail man knock on the front door. So I had to spend the whole weekend thinking about the fork sitting at the post office.

Chris
    I agree on both counts. Kudos to BikerBob for getting 3 ML frames and 3 07 Talas RLC out in no time at a great price. Also agree that the new Talas II adjust system is awesome. It makes travel adjustment so much easier and also quite visible as to which setting you are on. Very full proof IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Not at all wanting to hijak Chris's post...

I want the RP23, purely becasue the pro pedal is either on or off, rather than the 3 way setting on the RP3.... I agree the sus is perfect. But in Spain here we have some real smooth fire trails, I want to be able to more or less lock it out. To haul a s s up the track...

And in having to have it sent to Spain by Bob, I thought, might as well have it sorted by Push, as Duly mentions, it will not hurt to get it serviced and fully sorted, the extra is very little..... So it should be here shortly, have the tracking thingy majingy form Bob, so all go......

like a whole lotta fonzzies
    Coming from RX with 5th element air stuffed with air to handle my girth, RP23 has been a seamless transition. I tried the 3 settings of propedal and like the 2nd position the best. I just leave it on at propedal setting unless I know I am going straight down

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    Coming from RX with 5th element air stuffed with air to handle my girth, RP23 has been a seamless transition. I tried the 3 settings of propedal and like the 2nd position the best. I just leave it on at propedal setting unless I know I am going straight down
    Well looky what Bob just emailed me today. Just to wet my appitite............... Thanks Bob, you area good man.

Sungchung, will let you know in due course, thanks for your thoughts, we wil have to compare notes.

mtbr member
    RP23 push'd, that's the first one I have seen. Let me know what you think.

the 36 year old grom
    Well looky what Bob just emailed me today. Just to wet my appitite............... Thanks Bob, you area good man.

Sungchung, will let you know in due course, thanks for your thoughts, we wil have to compare notes.
    I went from pushed RP3 to non pushed RP23. the RP23 on a motolite is a lethal XC weapon, stand and sprint and it is explosive ( even in the 5 inch mode). With the stock tuning on the RP23 and a low leverage bike like the Med/Large MLs. I think setting one is perfect for 225 pound me. If/when I was doing a 10 mile hill climb I go with setting #2. and It climbs like a magic hard tail that has crazy traction. The platform is so much more firmer then the stock RP3 or Pushed RP3. the OFF position is notably plusher too. And I turn it off anytime I'm going to go over 20mph. which I always did anyway.

This last weekend at the downieville XC, I was passing bike walkers while I rode the loose parts of the climbs. Other racers cheered me on. That was rad! I only lost traction on one gravel part because I had to go off line to avoid a bike walker, and near the top I had to stop and walk because my HR was 190+ and holding. so I decided to walk just to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Regarding the RP23, and weighting 180 #'s with all gear on, I found setting 1 more than enough for my purposes; certainly, settings 2 and 3 seem way "too stiff" to me. I don't know if any of you have noticed that RP23's sent by Titus are tunned to the lightest ProPedal setting, so I couldn't imagine how much damping could have the ones having the highest setting.

By the way, I just finish building my ML and still trying both the RP23 and the DHX 5.0 Coil (yeap, I ordered the latter as well), so I'm spending a lot of time trying to find the sweet spot for the DHX, but right now it seems to me that RP23 is not that far (regarding plushness) from the DHX, at least when using a 30% sag. However, and keeping that RP23 sag, the DHX seems much more controlled when hitting square bumps.

"Its All Good"
    Duly, Tavinho, sungchang..... Good report Duly as normal, I too am looking forward to this shock. For the real smooth mile after mile fire roads that are smooth, am looking forward to be able to lock it almost 100%. In saying that am not at all peaved with the way the RP3 works. Just cant wait to haul a s s up these fireroads even faster.......

Will let you know, will be next weekend not this weekend. Bib was getting it away today your time. So should be here in say 4 days.......................

and the gang

the 36 year old grom
    Duly, Tavinho, sungchang..... Good report Duly as normal, I too am looking forward to this shock. For the real smooth mile after mile fire roads that are smooth, am looking forward to be able to lock it almost 100%. In saying that am not at all peaved with the way the RP3 works. Just cant wait to haul a s s up these fireroads even faster.......

Will let you know, will be next weekend not this weekend. Bib was getting it away today your time. So should be here in say 4 days.......................

and the gang
    what about demo's report???

actually I realy want to hear about the push version of the RP23.... I think my RP23 is perfect but if I was a lighter dude I might want the propedal turned down a bit.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug

actually I realy want to hear about the push version of the RP23.... I think my RP23 is perfect but if I was a lighter dude I might want the propedal turned down a bit.
    Great post DS!

What made you get the new shock?

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug

Sorry bro, my mistake, all the reports were good. Roll on Saturday morning for me. have Spanish lesson now, yay what fun

thats right living legend

duly!

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Great post DS!

What made you get the new shock?

You also noticed how great demo's post was... Wow I thought I was the only one!!!

But seriously demo, that was an interesting post, and you've got me thinking about an Rp23 now. And about that liter rider stuff, sounds like you'll be able to tell us about that pretty soon with all this XC stuff you've been doing.

Not that that's a goal of yours or anything, but I've found it gets pretty inevidable with 25 mile XC races, witch I've never done BTW... A 25mile XC race? that would suck! Mine were usually on the order of around 17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast