mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Best blade drivetrain

I have an LX and XT mix drivetrain on my 04 Blade with the long travel links. The shifting is not so good. I want to go to a two chainring with bash guard crank. Any suggestions on which crank to get? The rest of the drivetrain is worn out, so I'll be replacing everything. I want to keep my 22x34 granny gear. Will a short cage deraileur work OK? Which brand is preferred on a Blade? Shimano or SRAM? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBro
    I have an LX and XT mix drivetrain on my 04 Blade with the long travel links. The shifting is not so good. I want to go to a two chainring with bash guard crank. Any suggestions on which crank to get? The rest of the drivetrain is worn out, so I'll be replacing everything. I want to keep my 22x34 granny gear. Will a short cage deraileur work OK? Which brand is preferred on a Blade? Shimano or SRAM? Thanks!
    I think the Sram rear derailures don't hit the horst link like the shimano does. or at least that is my experiance. I replaced an LX with X9 combo and my derailure banging days ended.

I love XT HT2 cranks, the intigrated BB is super simple to deal with and bash guards fit fine.

but I'm not a drivetrain geek. so YMMV

King of the Barneys
    I've found a combo on my talas blade that works pretty dandy for me.

x9 on the rear, xt fr derr, x9 shifters, race face cranks with RF bash guard in place of the big ring, and sram 11x34 rr cassette. Couldn't be happier, NEVER a hesitation or problem, but ymmv.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

X9 s

Quote Originally Posted by JimBro
    I 2nd the recommendation on the XT HT2. I run one with 2 chainrings and a bash guard with a XTR rear on my 04 Blade. I'm the minority now with the crew I ride with, most of them are running the Sram X9 with trigger or grip shifts. Haveing tried the XT stuff, I would say your choice is XTR vs the X9, with the X9 winning out based on $$$. Me, I've also got XTR shifters which cost a small fortune and I love, so I'll be riding XTR for a little while longer still!! :thumbsuo:

OT: I'm thinking about upgrading my blade to the 5.7 links. What shock are you running/recommend??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The X9 rear derailuer sounds good if it will reduce the banging going on in the rear end. And reduce the chain slap.

I have the 5.25" travel links, not the 5.7" ones. I'm running the Fox Propedal shock. I'd like to get an RP3 or get my current shock "pushed".