Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,333

    Babys getting a new set of wheels (part II)

    So I decided on the DT Swiss 5.1's with Hope Pro II hubs. Now I need to pick a color. I was thinking of going black rim(only color available I believe), silver nipples, black spokes, silver hub. My ML is all grey, black, & silver. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Try this.. but also the silver combo is a killer...








    to be honest, my first choice was silver, but there weren't any Bulbs in silver when I bought, but I really love the Gold color....

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,713
    You can't beat all black... Simple, deadly gorgeous and blingy everafter.
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Silver Spokes and Nipples with Black Hubs

  5. #5
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Silver hubs, with black spokes and nipples........but what do I know, all my hubs are black or red
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  6. #6
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,994
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    So I decided on the DT Swiss 5.1's with Hope Pro II hubs. Now I need to pick a color. I was thinking of going black rim(only color available I believe), silver nipples, black spokes, silver hub. My ML is all grey, black, & silver. What do you think?
    I ordered the same exact set of hubs, spokes, nipples and rims today...color combo and all.

    Obviously I think that is a fine choice...
    Extreme stationary biker.

  7. #7
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I ordered the same exact set of hubs, spokes, nipples and rims today...color combo and all.

    Obviously I think that is a fine choice...

    Does this mean we'll see a complete Chumba by the end of the month?????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  8. #8
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,994
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Does this mean we'll see a complete Chumba by the end of the month?????
    Not likely...won't be home by then.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  9. #9
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You can't beat all black... Simple, deadly gorgeous and blingy everafter.
    All black is really good and will match well with your gray ml

  10. #10
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,763
    I have both "all black" and "all silver setups" (well the rims are both black since that is the only option aftermarket )

    the both look very sweet

    slot dropout 2

    Pike and Hope Pro 2 hub

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paneristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    367
    All black is conservative, always good looking. Can be boring sometimes, tho.

  12. #12
    Master of None
    Reputation: presslab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,462
    Gun Metal hubs, black spokes, black nipples.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,716
    Black or gunmetal hubs, black spokes with silver nipples and black rims............. Black is bling......................... says the dork with red wheels..........but the other set is black hubs, black spokes, silver nips, black rims....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  14. #14
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    I like un painted stainless spokes best. cheaper too. and they are shiny. it you buy a box of DT spokes it comes with 12mm nipples.....

    all the OE wheel sets use black spokes these days, so I associate the black spokes with OE wheels.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    I like un painted stainless spokes best. cheaper too. and they are shiny. it you buy a box of DT spokes it comes with 12mm nipples.....

    all the OE wheel sets use black spokes these days, so I associate the black spokes with OE wheels.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,333

    I think I made up my mind

    I think I am going gunmetal hub, stainless spokes, black nipples, black rims, with some sweet new black FSA skewers I just bought. I can picture it in my mind

  17. #17
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,763
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I think I am going gunmetal hub, stainless spokes, black nipples, black rims, with some sweet new black FSA skewers I just bought. I can picture it in my mind
    sounds sweet!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    74
    Looks to be an excellent wheelset.....red hubs, red nips, black spokes, red skewers.

    Looking forward to my set, especially when mounted to the black ano frame!

  19. #19
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci Teach
    Looks to be an excellent wheelset.....red hubs, red nips, black spokes, red skewers.

    Looking forward to my set, especially when mounted to the black ano frame!
    On my hardtail, I got red hope hub, black spokes, gold nipples and black rims (Stan Arch). Looks sweet.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I think I am going gunmetal hub, stainless spokes, black nipples, black rims, with some sweet new black FSA skewers I just bought. I can picture it in my mind
    Congratualtions !~!

    Get those hot wheels all built up so they can put a smile on your face

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    263
    Real men ride pink CK's but I like your combo as a second choice

  22. #22
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Congratualtions !~!

    Get those hot wheels all built up so they can put a smile on your face

    AM did you go Hope/Hadley in the end or full Hope wheelset??????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  23. #23
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,763
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    AM did you go Hope/Hadley in the end or full Hope wheelset??????

    for sure he got a Hadley rear according to this thread, but I don't know if he changed his front hub at all...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,333

    Good job! Well, I pulled the trigger.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I think I am going gunmetal hub, stainless spokes, black nipples, black rims, with some sweet new black FSA skewers I just bought. I can picture it in my mind
    I ordered the wheels this morning after I returned from riding the Chinese Downhill in Tahoe. I went with my choices above. Piece of junk Mavic freehub skipped twice, that was all I needed (well, and some convincing of my better half!) to justify the purchase. I also ordered a DT Swiss tubeless kit as it was cheaper than buying new, wider, stan's rimstrips for the 5.1's. Entire purchase was $504!! Way to go Universal Cycles!

  25. #25
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    Congrats!
    My next wheelset will be like sg similar. I dig the Hope hubs.
    Kovi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •