mtbr member

Baby's getting a new set of wheels

I've decided to junk my Mavic Crossmax Enduros. The reason is the freehub system and lateral flex. I just replaced the freehub body(yes I maintained it once every couple of months) because it had developed play, now about 100 miles into a new hub body the play has returned. These wheels flex so bad that I have worn the paint of the inside of my seatstays running 2.1 tires (nevegal or weirwolfs). I can take the rim and push it to touch the seatstay (or fork stanchion) with my hand when the bike is on the stand. At first I was thinking of going lighter with Stan's ZTR Flow rims & Hope II hubs so I could have the option to converting to a 20mm hub if I replaced my Revelation or had the lowers changed to Pike lowers. I was going to buy a new bike next year, but the ML is doing so well, I think she has another year in her. So, I could put these wheels on the next sled which will definately have a 20mm front fork. Then I saw the Easton Havocs, a bit pricey @ $700, but they are 28mm wide and have the convertible hub, but I dont know the reliability of their freehub. Now I am leaning toward DT Swiss 6.1FR rims with the Hope II hubs and wheelsmith stainless butted spokes w/ alloy nipples, I can get them at Universal Cycles for $504 hand built. What do you guys think??

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Now I am leaning toward DT Swiss 6.1FR rims with the Hope II hubs and wheelsmith stainless butted spokes w/ alloy nipples, I can get them at Universal Cycles for $504 hand built. What do you guys think??
    Why not the 5.1 instead of 6.1? Would save weight, 28mm, and still be stiff/strong enough for the job. The 6.1 is a DH racing wheel...overkill IMO.

That is the same wheelset and place (Universal) that I've got on order.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Put a Hadley hub on the rear.

mtbr member

I thought the 5.1's were 23mm

I thought I read that the 5.1's were 23mm not 28mm. When I went to DT Swiss's web page I saw that they were 28, so that would save about $20 and 150 grams. I built the same wheels on Speedgoat's web site and it estimated the weight at 2200 grams. Seems kinda heavy, but I think they are including skewers or something. All Mountain, why the Hadley hub?

mtbr member

Ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Put a Hadley hub on the rear.
    $276 for a rear hub? I make a decent living, but I am by no means rich!! Thats more than half the cost of the entire wheelset with the Hope hubs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Look at the inside rim width...

819 = 19mm

5.1 = 21mm

5.1 or 819 are more than tough enough.

For economical... Warp got some Alex 28's and he's happy with them (21mm inside width).

I switched to Hadley rear hub (well I had one previous on DH bike) and they are tough and solid. 3 sealed cart's + needle bearing on drive side with a tough Ti cassette body. All the DH doods here swear by them. The price is right at CC.

I'm stoked on these. Total stoke.

Trophy Husband
    $276 for a rear hub? I make a decent living, but I am by no means rich!! Thats more than half the cost of the entire wheelset with the Hope hubs!
    23mm is for inner width, 28mm outer width. The Alex 28 is the same dimensions and a little cheaper.

At Universal, Dt 5.1/Hope = 495. Alex 28/Hope = 465 (I think). Either would be a great wheelset.

The DT/Hope wheel has gotten the most praise across the board on mtbr of any product...do a search. People love that wheelset.

AM, Hadley is nice, but Hope is louder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have learned all the years through DH and now XC with ML that wheels are where money should be invested.

I am not rich and cannot afford the Hadley hub, but I cannot stress enough that money in best spent on wheels.

I am sure you can find ways to save the extra $80 bucks for a rear hub. I night on the town with the lady can easily make up for it. Make her a romantic meal at home instead.

Hope Pro 2 up front and King or Hadley out back (Hadley is cheaper).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    23mm is for inner width, 28mm outer width. The Alex 28 is the same dimensions and a little cheaper.

21mm inner, not 23.

Trophy Husband
    21mm inner, not 23.
    Right. Whatever.

Nobody likes you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Right. Whatever.

Nobody likes you.
    I agree.

banned
    Right. Whatever.

Nobody likes you.
    I love you AM

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    I love you AM
    2.25 UST Sturdy's

I love you too

"El Whatever"
    For economical... Warp got some Alex 28's and he's happy with them (21mm inside width).

For a good rear wheel without breaking the bank, I second the Hope Pro II / Alex FD28 / Competitions.

But once all is said and done, the version with the Alex is only like 30 bucks cheaper... per wheel. So, maybe you'd be liking to go full monty and getting the DT's.

Shiggy, _MK and I have Alex FD28's... weights are close to claimed and they're very good for the money. If I ding them, no worries, I'll slap another one. Remember rims and spokes are kind of "consumables" (they can get dinged, out of true, spokes may get damaged by the chain, etc)... Hubs don't. Invest in a good one and use it through the years.
    Check my Site

I rode 'Whistler XC'

AM, Hadley is nice, but Hope is louder.

....but King is LOUDEST! Can you hear the bees?

Hope are great though. They have such a brilliant reputation. Have never heard a bad thing said of any Hope stuff.

I was just lucky to get the King's dirtcheap! Recently switched from Mavic XC717 to DT 5.1. They are solid as a house!
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Bike to the Bone...
    For what it's worth, I have DT Swiss 5.1 laced to Hope Pro II (front) and Bulb (rear), and those wheels are nice..

Big difference from the Mavic Crosslands.

Master of None
    I just built up some ex 5.1d and they are very nice rims.. I laced them to my Syncros hubs which are also nice but heavy. The rear is like 500 gm! But to my surprise I opened them up and after about 2 years of hard riding the insides look new so the weight is worth it. They are also silent, no bees please for me.

The Hadley is sweet that's for sure. I was tempted and I could feel UGI coming on but I was strong.

I am going to try the DT tubelesskit next, it looks interesting.

the 36 year old grom
    but I cannot stress enough that money in best spent on wheels.

this from a guy that re-used his spokes from an old wheel....priceless.

819s blow. DT5.1 are the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    this from a guy that re-used his spokes from an old wheel....priceless.

819s blow. DT5.1 are the best.
    I used new spokes and nipples.

I am very happy with the 819's. 823's on the Dare.

the 36 year old grom
    I used new spokes and nipples.

I am very happy with the 819's. 823's on the Dare.
    you have a Dare??? wow nice.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    you have a Dare??? wow nice.
    Yup...just saw a picture of it a day or two ago....it looks nice.