mtbr member

New question here. Average Motolite weights - Alu frame - med?

Howdy all,

It's been a long time since I've surfed the forums, and I'm wondering what weight poeple are building aluminum the ML to these days.

To be clear, I can not afford Ti or Exo. An aquainance has an almost brand new 2007 frame he's willing to part with for $600.

Building a whole new bike to save only 4 lbs is not worth it.

The reason I ask? It's the time of year again that I'm chasing my XC racer buds up 4000 ft climbs on my "light" bike - a 33 LB El Guapo - while they're on 20-some lb hardtails. Pedaling up the same trails and descending the BD runs the EG is a dream. But I need another bike for this XC crowd, and don't want to go hardtail.

Thanks!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    It's the time of year again that I'm chasing my XC racer buds up 4000 ft climbs on my "light" bike - a 33 LB El Guapo - while they're on 20-some lb hardtails.
    Find new friends. Preferrably a group of knuckle-draggin' freeriders...who own bikes heavier than you.

A way cheaper option, IMO.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Howdy all,

It's been a long time since I've surfed the forums, and I'm wondering what weight poeple are building aluminum the ML to these days.

To be clear, I can not afford Ti or Exo. An aquainance has an almost brand new 2007 frame he's willing to part with for $600.

Building a whole new bike to save only 4 lbs is not worth it.

The reason I ask? It's the time of year again that I'm chasing my XC racer buds up 4000 ft climbs on my "light" bike - a 33 LB El Guapo - while they're on 20-some lb hardtails. Pedaling up the same trails and descending the BD runs the EG is a dream. But I need another bike for this XC crowd, and don't want to go hardtail.

Thanks!
    I think a large 2007 ML (with carbon stays/rocker) was about 6 lbs. Most XC builds came in around 26-27 lbs.

mtbr member
    I have a large 2007 ML II, and it came to exactly 6.1 lbs with the ti bolt option. Built up with XTR, Juicy Carbons, Thomson, Fox TALAS, Chris KIng/DT/717 wheels, and Mountain King 2.4 Supersonics, it came to 26 lbs complete.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Lmao...

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Find new friends. Preferrably a group of knuckle-draggin' freeriders...who own bikes heavier than you.

A way cheaper option, IMO.
    LMAO...

Who you describe ARE my friends! My knuckle-draggin' family! The brutha's I've been riding with forever...

Until 4 years ago NONE of us owned a bike that weighed less than 40 lbs!

But the"XC buds" drive up in elevation 2-3 times per week in the summer to ride in the pines @ 20-30 degree temp drop. It's only an hour each way, but no one wants to do it except for the XC guys. Yeah, yeah, I smoke 'em on the DH and the heavy bike is good training and all, but damn, it's tough and sometimes I just want to chill UPHILL.

Ultimated Outsider
    Ti and EXO ML are actually a couple of ounces heavier than the Alu version.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    Ti and EXO ML are actually a couple of ounces heavier than the Alu version.

Really. So the advantage of Ti in this application is vibration damping and strength?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If your looking to build a rocket ship build up a Racer-X. A carefully speced Racer-X can easily hit sub 24 pounds. Building a Moto-Lite seems like a waste if you already have an EG.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    27lbs large frame w/ build Talas could probably get to about 24-26 with lighter parts. My wheels are boat anchors, I'm using Cane Creek Zonos w/ Conti Mountain King Protection 2.4, but damn they feel nice riding down rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    mine is close to 29lbs right now, but with heavy platform pedals, heavy tires, etc... if light is your plan 26 is not hard to reach.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I bought a complete ML in 2007 with aluminum seatstays. I've got it built with X9 shifters and rear der, LX front der, Thomson post, Mavic CrossMax ST wheels, Fox Talas R... it's weighing in around 28.5lbs. The only plans that I have that will shave some weight will be ditching the Nevegals for Nobby Nics and possibly change the cranks from the Race Face Evolve XC to some XT's. That should get me in the sub 28lbs range and keep everything dependable.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    27lbs large frame w/ build Talas could probably get to about 24-26 with lighter parts. My wheels are boat anchors, I'm using Cane Creek Zonos w/ Conti Mountain King Protection 2.4, but damn they feel nice riding down rock gardens.

hey Java, what length of stem is that and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I race my ML and came in around 26lbs. Its not going to beat a plastic hardtail, but it gets the job done for me.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    hey Java, what length of stem is that and how tall are you?
    I think the stem is a 110mm I'm 6'. I lowered my seat about an inch since this picture was taken, it's much more comfortable now. I have a shorter stem that I'm thinking of putting on later. Ideally I think I'd be comfortable at 90-100mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You guys are lucky! I bought an xs ML in 2007 (it was the 2006 frame) and I weighted it a couples days ago. It's at 28 lbs. HEAVY! I want to make the bike go on a diet, yet it will be costly.. so i'm debating if it is worth it. The bike is already built with very good components..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremgirl
    You guys are lucky! I bought an xs ML in 2007 (it was the 2006 frame) and I weighted it a couples days ago. It's at 28 lbs. HEAVY! I want to make the bike go on a diet, yet it will be costly.. so i'm debating if it is worth it. The bike is already built with very good components..

Wow, what do you have one it? My 2007 large ML is 28 lbs with heavy 819 wheels and bb7 brakes! What kind of wheels are you using?

Ultimated Outsider
    Really. So the advantage of Ti in this application is vibration damping and strength?
    Yes and it worth every penny.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @Vespasianus, I have the same wheels as you (819 with dt340s hubs) so I want to exchange them for Olympic with 240s hubs or something similar (LIGHT!) .. could also change the revelation for a fox f100 but that's lots of money for only haft a pound save. .. Check out my other topic, you'll see the bike is nicely built, I just don't get how it got that heavy !!!! it's a x-small , not an x-large !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    xtremegirl...... Have you considered the Industry Nine Ultra Lite Race at 1310 grams or the Ultralights at 1451 grams?

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yep! The only downside is the price.. 1200$ for a wheelset... quite pricey!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Xtremegirl,

Are you happy with how the bike rides and climbs? I have a 28 lb medium, and was initially disapointed with the weight, but I really like my wheelset (CK and 819s) and am very happy with how the bike rides and climbs. So, for me, I'll live with 28.

David B.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride a small alum ML '08. It weighs in just at 26 lbs. With big tires and talus fork, It is exactly one pound heavier that my race bike ( ti racer-X), which is not that much.