Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Spring! Spring! Spring!

Applied Titus ...

... this is like Applied Mathematics I guess, in some way, how did you apply your TItus this weekend ... hmmm?

(we know what Whafe did, he did good)

Me, I enjoyed playing with the Q again, I still feel maybe I've not got the "design" application for the 66 BUT as A.M. puts it the "double zoke stroke" changes sure seem to be working out.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet climbing, Bear!

I didn't ride much this weekend... we some "friend activities" so we enjoyed the sun by going canoeing and swimming... (weather had been awful the past weeks and finally changed for the better on friday)

I just got back from a monday-after-work-ride...and I am getting the zoke stoke with my new z1 (gotta run more air in it though )

"El Whatever"
    Mine was used as a towel holder... No riding for me this weekend. Dammit.

Next weekend I have a little trip... so further less riding.

Anyway, trails are so wet, that it's not very encouraging.
    Check my Site

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It's a really fun obstacle, great runup, all 'tude really.

The GOOD people do it on the 26er rigid singlespeeds, but I like it my way better.

:P

screamer

ML vs. DVille: Battle 2007

Mine was spent giving Downieville the thrashing of a lifetime on my Motolite. Or was it DVille giving me the thrashing? It's all a little fuzzy...
    Anyway, I did the XC race on Saturday, my first time in Sport category, and did okay. Sill awaiting results, but probably finished about mid-pack, at or around my personal best time (3:02 if you're counting). The ML totally killed it: rocked the climb, and would have rocked the DH except for some nasty cramping and an unscheduled headfirst rolling dismount. This bike was MADE for races like Downieville!
    Hopefully there will be some photos to follow.
    Oh, and I met Demo_slug in person (great to meet you Greg)! Hope he'll chime in b/c he was doing the DH on Sunday also. Where was I? Stuffing my pie hole with steak & beer, cooling my feet in the swimming hole!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    ... this is like Applied Mathematics I guess, in some way, how did you apply your TItus this weekend ... hmmm?

(we know what Whafe did, he did good)

Me, I enjoyed playing with the Q again, I still feel maybe I've not got the "design" application for the 66 BUT as A.M. puts it the "double zoke stroke" changes sure seem to be working out.

Good climbing bear. I bet going down was RAD.

I did not ride this weekend. No stoke.

Next weekend is on the tools extending the local DH track

Veni Vidi Vici
    Thats some climbing what you did Bear I did ride both saturday and sunday but not as rad as what you did

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    it frankly took me quite a while to get my cajones aligned to climb that rock. Totally mental game though, it's much more smooth a ride than you'd think,

but, lots of fun.

And yes AM, it's a silly fun drop. Perfect landing zone. You just have to nail the line as there are trees on either side of the trail at the "bottom apex" of the situation that you MUST go between. They're about 5' separated, so setting up on takeoff is absolutely required.

And I've seen more accomplished riders hit this thing with enough speed that they basically land just at/past the 3' ledge that you can see in front of my tire .. it's about .75 a bike length from the edge i'm on in the picture.

mtbr member
    I was at that same spot Sunday morning

"El Whatever"
    it frankly took me quite a while to get my cajones aligned to climb that rock. Totally mental game though, it's much more smooth a ride than you'd think,

but, lots of fun.

And yes AM, it's a silly fun drop. Perfect landing zone. You just have to nail the line as there are trees on either side of the trail at the "bottom apex" of the situation that you MUST go between. They're about 5' separated, so setting up on takeoff is absolutely required.

And I've seen more accomplished riders hit this thing with enough speed that they basically land just at/past the 3' ledge that you can see in front of my tire .. it's about .75 a bike length from the edge i'm on in the picture.
    Hey Bear!

How'd you nailed that climb??

My first impression was to charge it with enough momentum and let the thing roll up, but:

a) Looks VERY rough
    b) There's a tree branch in the way at head height.

Thanks for sharing your riding "secrets"... Man, that's a nice obstacle to clear and be proud of!
    Check my Site

Where is my mind?
    I'm forgetting what it's like to ride a bike. I snapped the large pivot bolt (behind the BB). Just my luck, the wife's away, with the perfect opportunity to ride any day I like and I'm grounded because of a stupid bolt.
    Oh well, I'm heading to Asheville NC in a couple of weeks (that bolt better be here by then )
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    I'm forgetting what it's like to ride a bike. I snapped the large pivot bolt (behind the BB). Just my luck, the wife's away, with the perfect opportunity to ride any day I like and I'm grounded because of a stupid bolt.
    Oh well, I'm heading to Asheville NC in a couple of weeks (that bolt better be here by then )
    Call Bob or Eric... I'm positive they can sort you out.

Check out your bearings, just because. If the bolt snapped, chances are some of the bearings saw some abuse.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Hey Bear!

How'd you nailed that climb??

My first impression was to charge it with enough momentum and let the thing roll up, but:

a) Looks VERY rough
    b) There's a tree branch in the way at head height.

Thanks for sharing your riding "secrets"... Man, that's a nice obstacle to clear and be proud of!

we have lots of stuff like that, it's the obstabacle that's tough in and of itself, but also there's usually a hard loose corner _immediately_ after it (like a bike length) and or a tree branch you have to duck under or shoot between two trees handlebar width apart

good stuff

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    ...and or a tree branch you have to duck under or shoot between two trees handlebar width apart

good stuff
    I know that situation... we have a spot or two like that over here... Nice... I usually end up hugging trees, and I'm not an environmentalist!!
    Check my Site

Where is my mind?
    Call Bob or Eric... I'm positive they can sort you out.

Check out your bearings, just because. If the bolt snapped, chances are some of the bearings saw some abuse.
    Thanks Warp. I've got a local guy helping me out, but no one brought up replacing the bearings (makes me wonder). Guess I'll have to call my guy. Are the bearings something that only a bike shop can replace or is it something I can do?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

"El Whatever"
    Thanks Warp. I've got a local guy helping me out, but no one brought up replacing the bearings (makes me wonder). Guess I'll have to call my guy. Are the bearings something that only a bike shop can replace or is it something I can do?
    You can do it... just drive them out with a soft drift and a hammer, giving short small blows in a cross pattern so they don't bind.

To press them in, a threaded rod and a few washers will work as press.

However, if you don't feel confident enough, take it to the shop. If possible, stay and watch them how they do it (a six pack will help there).
    Check my Site

Where is my mind?
    You can do it... just drive them out with a soft drift and a hammer, giving short small blows in a cross pattern so they don't bind.

To press them in, a threaded rod and a few washers will work as press.

However, if you don't feel confident enough, take it to the shop. If possible, stay and watch them how they do it (a six pack will help there).
    I'm still at work right now, but when I get home I'll check the bearings. I'm assuming that I'm looking to make sure that they rotate smoothly or is there something else that I should look for?

"El Whatever"
    I'm still at work right now, but when I get home I'll check the bearings. I'm assuming that I'm looking to make sure that they rotate smoothly or is there something else that I should look for?
    Just check now for noticeable play.

Bearings often feel "indexed" when tried to be turned by hand. Only way to tell if they're good to go is with the suspension fully assembled, but with the shock removed. Then, you cycle the suspension and it should feel smooth with no "indexing" or play.
    Check my Site

Where is my mind?
    Just check now for noticeable play.

Bearings often feel "indexed" when tried to be turned by hand. Only way to tell if they're good to go is with the suspension fully assembled, but with the shock removed. Then, you cycle the suspension and it should feel smooth with no "indexing" or play.
    I see! So I can't check it unless I get the replacement pivot bolt anyway. With Asheville waiting for me in two weeks I should just order the bearing and replace it.

Thanks Warp, you're a big help as always.

Trophy Husband
    I didn't get a chance to ride my Titus this weekend...I spent four straight days riding another brand (finally)...and I had a good time.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I like trees with pads in front of them in landing zones. Much more comfortable when I hit them.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    chaz has the right of it, and he was one of the first people I watched do it.

lots of better riders than me what have shown me how to do stuff like that.

this particular obstacle is a total momentum gig, if you don't got it at the start, you're going to "turtle" backwards off the rock. Pretty guaranteed.

there are also good and bad lines on this rock, I hit the good one Sunday. ;^)

there's some other smaller "versions" on nearby trails what were good practice for this one, I'm almost confident with it at this point

To give you a good idea of perspective, the guy what took the photo is shooting from about his eye height, horizontally, and he's standing about 1-2' from the base of the rock off to the side.

yeah, stuff like this is a lot of fun. Almost as fun going up as down.

Wheeeee........

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, Ted, you like going down it as well:

mtbr member
    why are all those geezers standing around and watching ?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    why are all those geezers standing around and watching ?
    They don't have the Marzocchi-induced artificial Courage installed that I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast