mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Anyone 6' or over riding a ML??

I'm just under 6' and been riding my large motolite for about 2 weeks. Sweet ride but can't stop wondering if the medium would have been a better choice. My stem is 100mm and the handler bar is a low rise. To feel centered in the cockpit I have to move my seat almost all the way forward. I notice the TT for the medium is only 1" less. Wheel base is also around an inch less.

I'm currently looking at a great deal on a medium frame and tempted to pull the trigger but thought I'd check with you guys first.

bob

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am 6'1" and ride a large. When I tried the medium I felt cramped. Granted I have a 34" inseam. I am running a 110/10 degree stem. I am running a Thomson setback - and the seat is pretty much centered. I would check you knee to pedal axel relationship and make sure that is correct. You might need a little shorter stem - you seem like you might be a little stretched out. You might want to play with the fit a bit before dropping cash on another frame.

Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am 6' and I have a large ML. It fits real nice. I have my saddle (WTB) pushed all the way back. I run a 100/5 stem. I would agree with eman2. adjust the saddle and bars and see if you can find a set up that works before you buy a medium.

the 36 year old grom
    i went threw the same debate a few times. but other then the oddness of my seat position to far forward.... everything is great.

my final thought on the matter was that the bike feels perfect when I'm out of the saddle. so its the right size for me.

I'm just thinking out loud here...but, another thing to keep in mind is that with a 5 inch fork the seat tube is a tad slack. so a forward saddle position will compensate for that.
    Last edited by demo_slug; 08-20-2006 at 11:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    6'0" on the dot, barefoot measured inseam is 33.25. Large ML, 90 mm 0 degree stem, 8deg/5deg/25mm rise bar, inline seatpost, very happy with the fit for typical trail use. I'm getting a 70x0 stem and, when money permits, will order a Gravity Dropper for when I'm doing steep stuff.

My test ride before buying the bike was on a medium, and it felt too little. An inch on the top tube is a pretty big size jump. Fidget with your stem before doing anything expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Have to agree

Yea, I'd hate to go with a medium and find it too cramped. I already dropped the stem from 120mm to 100. Helped a little, maybe I'll try 90.

It's probably me but I'm having a little trouble pulling the front end up to get over ledges taller than 10" when climbing. Other than that the ride is fantastic.

By the way I have the Gravity Dropped on my ML and it is awsome.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Bob

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb
    I'm just under 6' and been riding my large motolite for about 2 weeks. Sweet ride but can't stop wondering if the medium would have been a better choice. My stem is 100mm and the handler bar is a low rise. To feel centered in the cockpit I have to move my seat almost all the way forward. I notice the TT for the medium is only 1" less. Wheel base is also around an inch less.

I'm currently looking at a great deal on a medium frame and tempted to pull the trigger but thought I'd check with you guys first.

bob
    I'm 5'11" and ride a Medium ML with a 100 stem and 27" easton monkeylight riser bars. I think it's very nice for what I want, but I think I'm at the top height for that frame. I guess if I would do more fireroads than singletrack, I would have gone Large and a 75mm stem, but I think that both would fit me.

Full Trucker Effect
    I'm 6'1" and ride a Medium. I don't use it on many fire roads or buff singletrack though. I like a lot of tight technical riding with some moderate jumps. I know if I were riding smoother stuff I would want a large, but I would also be riding a racer-x instead of a ML. I think 6 foot is right there on the border of medium and large so you just have to do what feels right

mtbr member
    i'm 5'11" as well and also ended up with a medium. i made the mistake of not even bothering to try a medium at first because the large felt "close enough", but luckily was able to jump on a medium and make the change in time. i would say if you are in the range of 5'10" - 6' (and maybe larger range, depends on your stats) definitely give both a try and see what feels better. even if you gotta drive 2 hours to a shop for a fitting, it's worth it in the long run

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Im about to buy a 2005 ML size M, Im 180cm (5'11"). The problem is I cant try this before I buy, its not a complete bike. And there is no Titus dealers around. Im riding mostly technical stuff but gonna use the bike for everything. Should I find a bigger frame?

mtbr member
    i like the shorter wheelbase on the medium, it brings the mass of the bike in closer and i find it easier to control through the tight twisty technical stuff. if i was doing mostly fast straight runs i might opt for the large. you can generally get the cockpit setup the same on both using stem/bar/seat adjustments, so for me it comes down to wheelbase and riding style more than anything else

worst case is you dont end up liking it and resell it for practically no loss and go for something else, so not really a big deal

mtbr member

An Opinion

6' 1" and 34.5" coming from a 23.5" TT with the seat all the way back and a105 mm stem.
    Now large frame with a 100 mm stem and thomson post with saddle in middle. I am used to a smaller frame with shorter wheelbase and I think the frame was borderline too small.

I would not like to ride AM with a stem longer than 100 mm. The shorter the stem the easier it is to get the front wheel up. Also when the going gets steep the longer wheelbase and shorter stem is The longer wheelbase (over 1 inch) from previous ride does not impact the handling in tight twisties(for me). I would be concerned with the saddle to handlebar length and saddle to handlebar height. I like to ride with the saddle around even with the bars in a fairly upright position. The extra inch head tube that gets some criticism here is for me a major plus. I was fortunate and got to pedal both sizes. Good luck

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Same here (5-11.5), but I went with a M-ML.

Quote Originally Posted by il2mb

bob
    My seat is centered on the seat-post and I'm using a 110 mm stem. I don't feel cramped... the front axel sits just below the handle bar when looking down... so it's perfect for me. I'm in a neutral position on the bike. I'm running 8 inches of seat-post, which Titus recommends running no more than that.

I historically have always liked my frames to be smaller, but I'm sort of old school regarding this. I ride mostly twisty technical trails, that are very steep, and I wanted the most nimble and lightest 5 inch FS I could build. The extra weight up-front also does wonders when climbing and I rarely have issues with my front tire pushing in the corners. It has alway been my recommendation to my friends to error on the small side if they are inbetween frame sizes.... some take it... some don't.

For what it's worth.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thx. Both positive and negative answers here. TT on ML is between the TT length on my old bike (Haro) and my Jamis. Both are L. And I feel that both fits me. So I gonna try the ML. If it dont fits me, I can sell it like mention in another post. From the reviews I have read, the bike is awesome so I will probably forget about the size anyway ,) Of course, I have a nice offer on a 2006 Heckler and 5 spot frame but thats another story.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by henryreardan
    Im about to buy a 2005 ML size M, Im 180cm (5'11"). The problem is I cant try this before I buy, its not a complete bike. And there is no Titus dealers around. Im riding mostly technical stuff but gonna use the bike for everything. Should I find a bigger frame?
    I'm about your same height, and I'm on a medium. I think you're doing ok. If you were doing more fireroad stuff, probably a Large would help, but for most tehcnical stuff the Medium will be a little bit more nimbler. Good luck!