mtbr member
    Oct 2012

any titus racer x have this hyd brake answer

Hey guys I have a 04 titus racer x im building.

The bike as you may know has three cable access points running down the center of the top tube, and those channels are set up to run "cables" not hyd brake hoses being the bike can actually use mechanical brakes.

My question is has anyone modified one of the three channels to accept a hyd brake hose so I can run that down the center and to the rear brake area?

Looks to me that if one side was drilled thru big enough to accept the hyd hose I could route that in the same area as derailleur cables.

Then another question, which one should be drilled or which ones are used for the derailleurs, the two outside ones or ???

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    while there are no answers to this question, Ive decided that I can not drill anything on this awesome frame.
    I ran the hyd brake hose thru the upper rear shock mount and two zip ties will hold it in place.
    This to me is almost as clean as drilling and running thru the actual cable mount.

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575nut View Post
    Hey guys I have a 04 titus racer x im building.

The bike as you may know has three cable access points running down the center of the top tube, and those channels are set up to run "cables" not hyd brake hoses being the bike can actually use mechanical brakes.

My question is has anyone modified one of the three channels to accept a hyd brake hose so I can run that down the center and to the rear brake area?

Looks to me that if one side was drilled thru big enough to accept the hyd hose I could route that in the same area as derailleur cables.

Then another question, which one should be drilled or which ones are used for the derailleurs, the two outside ones or ???

Rather than drilling/permanently altering your frame, check out these little gadgets:
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Hydraulic Line Guides
    They go into the cable stops and create a channel for your hydro hoses.
    There are also stick-on varieties:
    Universal Cycles -- Problem Solvers Stick Ons Cable Guide

Works pretty well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    not quite the same thing, but i drilled out the cable stops on my el guapo (2010 model) so i could run full cable housing on the gear cables. A dremel with the right attachment does the trick - be very careful not to hit any frame tubes with it.

Why don't you just drill them all out, run full cable housing, then you have the option of swapping them around (the brake line and gear cables) to work out which one works the best. Of course, it might not be that easy, depending on how much you drill it out - if you do the minimal, just enough so that the cable feeds through, you'll have to take the brake line off the caliper to feed it through, then probably have to bleed the brake. If you drill it out further, so it is slotted, you'll have to use a zip tie to hold it to the frame, which kinda defeats the purpose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks guys both helpful, for now Im going to leave alone and have them routed pretty well. But the dremel thing would work, I was afraid to try and drill since I may hit the frame with the chuck from the drill.

take care and thanks for the help..