Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185

    Any opinions on a Rockstar?

    Hey guys, I need your help.

    I usually hang out in the GT forum, but I'm seriously thinking of getting a newer bike. I've always been drawn to the Titus Rockstar when it first came out, and I've dug thru the forums trying to find out more info on it. Even though I can find riders that like it, how come there isn't more info about it? What's even more disturbing was when I read a popular magazine article about Titus closing shop (old news I know, and I'm aware of that Titus was bought out) and the one sentence that really make me wonder was "The company continued to turn out hits, while some other models grew long in the tooth, and some were simply off the mark (the 29er Rockstar)". Say what? So what gives? What's wrong with it?

    The reason why I ask is because I'm really tempted to get a Rockstar, but I'm a little hesitant to jump in. FYI, I ride cross-country, no racing, I'm around 170 lbs, 32 inch inseam, and currently ride a size small Scott Scale 29er and my full suspension bikes are all GT LTS's (old skool stuff!). My trails are usually medium difficulty, mostly hardpack, rocky, canyon work. Lots of loose gravel on short but steep climbs. Any thoughts guys? Think that a Rockstar might work for me?

  2. #2
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,497
    local rider has one and loves his.
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14
    I've had my Rockstar since August and I absolutly love it. I bought the frame W/ RP23 and built it to my liking with Sram XX components and ZTR Arch wheels. I'm 5'8 and the small frame seemed perfect. It's a pretty light setup right at 24 lbs. The bike is very stiff with no lateral flex, I have been racing it since November and it just bombs thru anything on the trail. I think the one negative review it received from MBA was due to the stock Cobalt wheels that came with the complete bikes. Those things were flexy so a different wheelset is a must IMO. If you can get your hands on one of these, you won't regret it. Just make sure that the new company that bought Titus (On-One) honors the warranty at 100%.

  4. #4
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185
    Thanks for the replies. I was going to pick up a frameset and build it the way I wanted it to, so no worries on the flexy wheels. Thanks for all of your help!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    28
    I bought my rockstar last august, absolutely bombs the downhills and climbs great, my build isn't so light but i still have of the cheap build components minus the cobalt wheelset. I have a set of arch rims/hope hubs that are so stiff, no flex whatsoever. Love the frame and the 15mm fork. Also have the rp23 shock. I have seen pics of a guy who broke his carbon seatstays but i guess that could happen to any brand bike. When you buy your frame get a couple of extra hangers(spelling?) I snapped one pedaling on flat ground for some strange reason.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,795
    I snapped one pedaling on flat ground for some strange reason.
    The guy that built it probably didn't know how to tune it properly.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    28
    Maybe if I would have paid the guy who built it up a little something he might have done a better job huh?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,795
    One thing, I did have to chase the threads in the bottom bracket of b's rockstar. If you plan on building in the garage you might take the frame to a shop and have them lightly clean the threads in the BB shell with a proper tap.

    Other than that the bike went together well. You can also get hangers from wheels manufacturing I belive.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yobdlog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    168

    I like mine.

    I've had mine since last September and at first I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped for - but to be very fair - I literally picked it up from the shop two days prior to doing a 30 mile XC race on it so I had no chance of really dialing anything in.

    After that race, I felt it was way to springy due to improper shock sag, and setup on my part, and then of course - just getting the feel of adapting to a fast race technical course on a new bike - left me feeling a bit dull about it.

    However - after working through the setup and proper pressures in the RP23 shock and setting it where i liked it and then tuning the fork a bit - I did Iceman on it which is a hardtail's race - and bammo - huge difference months later and appreciated the finer points of the build. The 1.5" tapered headtube and 15mm fork ends were wonderfully stiff and kept a very tight control on high speed corners and running a very rigid shock and fork setup for that type of course really made the ride shine on the climbs and I hadn't an issue at all hammering out of the saddle on the climbs. It performed like a hardtail in acceleration while giving great traction where it mattered, under you, and not away from you (think of the rear wheel pushing rearwards and not 'under' you). This helped to accelerate through corners on uphills giving a more spry feel to the suspension.

    I have since ridden a lot more now and I couldn't be happier with the decision to own one - I did buy an extra carbon rear given the uncertainty of the brand's future - but after a talk with one of the new business owners, I feel assured they are going to make warranties right and definitely work with the core of the previous owners to gain their loyalty back.

    It's a well built frame, the suspension design isn't particularly new but is tried and true and is setup very well to give the cush where it should be without detracting from accelerative efforts and hammering - so it keeps you going as fast as you can carry it. It really shines on technical descents - great handling for a big wheeled bike, it can manuever similiarly to a 26" bike - perhaps not as tight, but it doesn't flop in corners in the least.

    Good Luck.

  10. #10
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185
    Thanks for the great info everyone. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered one. I don't think I'm too demanding of a rider, and from what everything I've heard so far, I'm pretty certain I'll be pleased with it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by yobdlog
    I've had mine since last September and at first I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped for - but to be very fair - I literally picked it up from the shop two days prior to doing a 30 mile XC race on it so I had no chance of really dialing anything in.

    After that race, I felt it was way to springy due to improper shock sag, and setup on my part, and then of course - just getting the feel of adapting to a fast race technical course on a new bike - left me feeling a bit dull about it.

    However - after working through the setup and proper pressures in the RP23 shock and setting it where i liked it and then tuning the fork a bit - I did Iceman on it which is a hardtail's race - and bammo - huge difference months later and appreciated the finer points of the build. The 1.5" tapered headtube and 15mm fork ends were wonderfully stiff and kept a very tight control on high speed corners and running a very rigid shock and fork setup for that type of course really made the ride shine on the climbs and I hadn't an issue at all hammering out of the saddle on the climbs. It performed like a hardtail in acceleration while giving great traction where it mattered, under you, and not away from you (think of the rear wheel pushing rearwards and not 'under' you). This helped to accelerate through corners on uphills giving a more spry feel to the suspension.

    I have since ridden a lot more now and I couldn't be happier with the decision to own one - I did buy an extra carbon rear given the uncertainty of the brand's future - but after a talk with one of the new business owners, I feel assured they are going to make warranties right and definitely work with the core of the previous owners to gain their loyalty back.

    It's a well built frame, the suspension design isn't particularly new but is tried and true and is setup very well to give the cush where it should be without detracting from accelerative efforts and hammering - so it keeps you going as fast as you can carry it. It really shines on technical descents - great handling for a big wheeled bike, it can manuever similiarly to a 26" bike - perhaps not as tight, but it doesn't flop in corners in the least.

    Good Luck.
    How much pressure do you run on your shock according to your weight and what's your fav propedal setting? I didn't know Titus was selling the carbon rears, should prob pick one up

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    190
    Anyone know if the Motolit ti bolt kit will fit a Rockstar? If not, what are the sizes of the bolts for the shocks, rockers, etc...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    190
    Double Post
    Last edited by kikoreta; 02-22-2011 at 11:02 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yobdlog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesonly
    How much pressure do you run on your shock according to your weight and what's your fav propedal setting? I didn't know Titus was selling the carbon rears, should prob pick one up
    I weigh 170 lbs. with gear and I set it up 10psi higher than what the Fox manual said for my weight. I prefer to run it in the firmest position with propedal off - when the going gets rough I'll switch to the second position propedal on - amazingly nice reaction in those settings.

    They should still have the rears available, it was worth the $100 bucks to just have a carbon spare.

  15. #15
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,588

    Mt. Bike Action Review....

    MBA gave it some flack for a noodly rear end. They said it didn't have the precise handling of the original Racer-X. I think we all know that Titus jacked things up with the "Lite-rail" compared to the older style "Boxed Section swingarms". I guess the wrecking crew was sensitive enough to notice, not that anyone else would.

    I've never ridden a Rockstar so I can't comment. But I guess they felt that compared to the Pivot 429, it wasn't as stiff (I guess the relationship with Chris is way strong). But hey, it's lighter!
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  16. #16
    GT LTS Hoarder
    Reputation: johntheroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I guess the relationship with Chris is way strong
    Yeah the girlfriend got me a subscription with MBA and I'm picking up that vibe just from various snippets of remarks in the mag. No disrespect to Chris is intended and as a matter of fact, the other bike I was also considering was a Mach 4. I ran all over San Antonio hoping I could find a dealer that had one in stock so that I could check out the sizing, but no joy.

  17. #17
    High Alpine Adventure
    Reputation: DaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,588
    Don't know if you do Ebay... but here's a fair deal.

    Not as swoopy as a Rockstar, but it's the original!
    Dug-Da-Goat

    Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

    Building your trails at FooMTB

  18. #18
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,547

    Wheelset

    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    MBA gave it some flack for a noodly rear end. They said it didn't have the precise handling of the original Racer-X.
    The source of the rear end 'flex" in that infamous MBA [morons] Rockstar review was apparently the Crank Brothers wheelset.

    While I have no desire to replace my RX 29 with a Rockstar, I believe it's an under appreciated platform, likely a great trail bike/good race bike, and a total bargain for the quality and capability of the bike.
    My Favorite Peeps:

  19. #19
    Not all pain is gain...
    Reputation: rabies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    64
    Rode the sh1t out of mine last season (once it finally showed up anyway). I didn't find the rear end to be flexy at all. not any more than any other full susp bike i've ever ridden. I came off a MotoLite and while it doesn't turn as quickly as the Moto did it does just fine for my needs. I have a 100mm Reba which is plenty for me but I could see the benefits of having a travel adjust fork on it.

    just my 2cents. it's definitely one of the best rides i've owned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •