mtbr member

New question here. Any one running s talas on their RX?

I just ordered frame (small black) and a set of red I9s and was wondering if anyone is using a TALAS on the RX 100 (my current fork or I have a minute man 3 o5 that could be used)? Impressions? Any one ride higher than 4" in front? Thinking of upgrading to a Talas x. Anyony played with it yet? Appreciate any input

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpstoked
    I just ordered frame (small black) and a set of red I9s and was wondering if anyone is using a TALAS on the RX 100 (my current fork or I have a minute man 3 o5 that could be used)? Impressions? Any one ride higher than 4" in front? Thinking of upgrading to a Talas x. Anyony played with it yet? Appreciate any input
    \

I had a TALAS on my Racer X. It is a great fork, but it is overkill because you will never use the upper end of the travel. Once the travel is beyond 112 mm, the Racer X will loose some of its steering quality. It that is not a concern than the TALAS is a serious contender. I find the sweet spot for the travel on the Racer X to be 103 to 106.

I currently have a Reba Race U-turn. I really like this fork. Stiff and responsive to the terrain. The travel is 85 to 115 mm which is within the travel range for the Racer X. FYI . . . I have a TALAS on my Motolite.

Do It Yourself
    I used up to 130mm on my Hammerhead (Vanilla, Minute, and TALAS). Beyond about 115mm killed the sweet handling. I'm currently riding a Revalation and would highly recommend the new Rock Shox forks. They are much less expensive than Fox and more adjustable. I agree 100% about the Reba. It's a great match for the Racer-X if you can find on that is adjustable up to 115mm.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    i have been running a talas for three years on my rx. i just upgraded to the talas xtt. ok its really stupid expensive but i'm worth it right. i totally agree with homebrew as 115 is just about enough. overkill, maybe but it sure is fun. had push do the rear and together they are great. i routinely use all the travel and set sag at about 17%. i havent tried any other fork on the x so thats my 2 cents.

mtbr member

Thanks

I am seriously thinking about talas xxt. I am hoping, like suggested, to run it with alot sag. Even if I dont get it, think I will run my talas rlc on it (have to get it pushed then). I commute and race on same bike and this is gonna be an interesting build with the help of Chad @ Redbarn to include new 07 xtr cranks and hydro dual control (which I am going to set up with marta calipers) along w/ ti ck headet, syntace f99 stem, carbon handlebars and seatpost along w/ the I9s wheelset w/dt 4.1d rims, tubeless kit and crows. The frame will come with rp23 and havent decided to run the brakes in 180/160 mode or 160/140 mode (I have hope floating rotors...I kinda want to run the 180/160 combo, but the 180 2-piece floater rotor weight arent in league with the 160 and 140. I was thinking of going with xtr brake calipers but if Larry's info on retail on new xtr is right...I think the DC and cranks seem to be the only new components that I am interesting in upgrading. I also dont want to rape my Ventana x-5 (w/4" rockers) and eventually run the x-5 in 5" mode and as all mountian. ....OT....If I was to purchase a lower chainstay...anyone know where I can get it hard anodzed to match frame reasonably?

Thanks agian