mtbr member
    Sep 2007

another motolite sizing request for help

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new motolite. Wanted to get some opinions here on sizing. I'm 6'0 tall and wear 30" inseam pants. (Am long torso - short legs). Am debating between med and large. Years ago I rode a size Large S.Cruz Superlite and it fit great. But am not sure if geometry, etc. has changed on Superlites, so can't really compare them on paper. Primary use will be long cross country riding. Nothing crazy gnarly, etc.Thoughts?? Thanks!

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I'm 6' and I ride a large, but I've got 32" inseam. The bike fits me fine, you could try a medium and use a long stem to lengthen the cockpit a little for your large torso.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 6' with 33" inseam. Just got my large FTM (90mm stem) and it's definitely the correct size for me.

Mar 2006
    6' here with a 32" inseam and went with a medium, I'm quite happy with the fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Also 6-0 with 32-33" inseam and went with a medium. It could probably go either way, but med was the right choice. Only thing is you'll need some stem spacers to bring up the bars.

I think it's easier to make a slightly small bike fit than to stretch into a too-big bike. I say get the medium (especially considering the 30" inseam).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babysquirreler
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new motolite. Wanted to get some opinions here on sizing. I'm 6'0 tall and wear 30" inseam pants. (Am long torso - short legs). Am debating between med and large. Years ago I rode a size Large S.Cruz Superlite and it fit great. But am not sure if geometry, etc. has changed on Superlites, so can't really compare them on paper. Primary use will be long cross country riding. Nothing crazy gnarly, etc.Thoughts?? Thanks!
    Wow, you sound the same as me. Same height, long on top, short on the bottom.

I chose a L motolite. I felt bunched up on the M. I'm running it with a straight post and a 80mm stem. I've never wanted the smaller size. I have no issue whether the trail is slow and tight, or open and fast. Doesn't matter going up or down for that matter.

I also came off a size L superlight. In comparison, the SL feels like a smaller bike. The main difference is the moto has a taller bottom bracket and rides taller. Well that and the moto is a much better bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

thanks

thanks for all the input - keep em comin!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    6' with a 33 inseam riding a large. Tried a med but it felt to upright. The saddle was way, way high to get my legs to extend the correct amount.

mtbr member
    6' with a 32" inseam and I ride a large. I've got my saddle dead center in the rails and swapped the stock 120mm stem for a 90mm and love it. The TT & stem length is .75" shorter on my ML than SJ. I found through riding that I'm comfortable in a more upright position and my riding has improved by shortening the cockpit. 24.25" TT + 90mm stem for my size really rocks on the ML.

I occasionally ride my buddies SL. You might take a little time adjusting to the higher BB. It's really high compared to the SL or my old SJ. The clearance over technical terrain is awesome though, and once you get used to the height through the corners I think you'll find it a superior ride - oh and your pedals will thank you, no more pedal strikes. The ML is a dream for climbing over the SL.

mtbr member
    The climbing ability of the ML is a strength and weakness. The strength is it has unbelievable traction. I can't believe what I can ride up these days. The weakness is it has unbelievable traction. If you're just rolling up a fireroad, you can really feel the tire dig in. Get fast rolling tires!