kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another "Going from a Racer X to a Motolite" question!

After 6 years my beloved Racer X has developed a crack in the seat tube. This is a Large Racer X designed for a 80mm fork, but I ran it with a 100mm fork and liked the bike better with the bigger fork.

So my question...I am considering getting a Motolite - the extra travel appeals to my aging bones but I am concerned about the slacker geometry, especially when climbing steep, tight singletrack.

Has anyone gone from a Racer X to a Motolite and can share any changes in the ride due to the difference in geometry?. I do not race, but like a snappy bike. Tend to do lots of climbing as well.

Thanks for any input!

screamer
    You can very closely replicate the ride of a RacerX with an adjustable fork and the rear travel in 4" mode. The extra weight means it'll never be quite as "snappy," but you definitely can dramatically tweak the ML's personality to the XC or trail end of the spectrum depending on setup.

Having said that, I'd definitely describe the FTM as more "snappy" than the ML. I think it has to do with the lighter weight and perhaps slightly more compact (lower?) frame geometry. Not sure, but I did feel a difference. Maybe "nimble" is a better term? It just rockets forward. You lose the 4" option, but I so rarely use that on the ML and I'd be surprised if it'd ever be missed on the FTM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc
    After 6 years my beloved Racer X has developed a crack in the seat tube. This is a Large Racer X designed for a 80mm fork, but I ran it with a 100mm fork and liked the bike better with the bigger fork.

So my question...I am considering getting a Motolite - the extra travel appeals to my aging bones but I am concerned about the slacker geometry, especially when climbing steep, tight singletrack.

Has anyone gone from a Racer X to a Motolite and can share any changes in the ride due to the difference in geometry?. I do not race, but like a snappy bike. Tend to do lots of climbing as well.

Thanks for any input!
    The ML is not a "snappier" bike than the RX. The ML is more burly, more stable, and more harder to pedal as compared to the RX. It is more rugged and a bit heavier and plusher.

It is a give and take situation. Both the RX and ML have their pros and cons it is up to your preference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Read the bike magazine reviews on the "FTM" and "X" on the Titus website. The FTM is going to give you a cushier ride then the X. To us a car annology, the FTM is going give you Cadillac smooth ride, while the "X" is going to be fast, nimble and responsive like a Porshe 911.

Sopwithcamel

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks all

Decided to get the Motolite...after six years on the X, it was time for a change. A little plusher would be fine with me.

I ride with a guy that went from a Santa Cruz Superlight to a Blur LT...probably a similar switch. He said the trade-off was more than worth it.

I am looking forward to the change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    KMC....... The FTM is the replacement for the Motolite. Half the MBAction rides Motolites and said the FTM was a improvement. Here is the quote from there review.

"Buying Advice

We bid the Motolite, arguably the most recommended trailbike in the wrecking crews history, a fond farewell with tears in our eyes. It will still be around, offered as a lower priced Titus trailbike, but the writing is on the wall. The FTM takes the trail rider to a new level, with better handing and more travel, without the added weight or complexity. The FTM is a great, made-in-the-USA trail-bike that takes the place of the Motolite on our short list of bikes that will do everything you want and leave you stoked after every ride."

Sopwithcamel

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Good call

I prefer the ML for most situations. Snappy can be dangerous for me.

Did you get the new frame from Charles at Hammerhead?

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    I prefer the ML for most situations. Snappy can be dangerous for me.

Did you get the new frame from Charles at Hammerhead?
    Nope...bought one of the closeout ML-1's from Colorado Cyclist. I was working with a budget, so their price will work out perfect. The other option was the 2007 XL Racer X's directly from Titus. I am 6'2" and my 2003 was a large. The XL would have fit just fine.

I bought my 2003 from Charles...a great guy to deal with. He no longer owns the shop, but it seems like the new guys are doing just fine.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    KMC....... The FTM is the replacement for the Motolite. Half the MBAction rides Motolites and said the FTM was a improvement. Here is the quote from there review.

"Buying Advice

We bid the Motolite, arguably the most recommended trailbike in the wrecking crews history, a fond farewell with tears in our eyes. It will still be around, offered as a lower priced Titus trailbike, but the writing is on the wall. The FTM takes the trail rider to a new level, with better handing and more travel, without the added weight or complexity. The FTM is a great, made-in-the-USA trail-bike that takes the place of the Motolite on our short list of bikes that will do everything you want and leave you stoked after every ride."

Sopwithcamel
    I am sure the FTM is a great bike...just a little over my budget right now.