I rode 'Whistler XC'

Alignment problem with Avid J7 calipers on my ML....help?

Hi Guys,

I recently switched to 185mm rotors on my ML. I got the roundagon rotors and adapters from my LBS, all genuine Avid parts.

Please have a look at the pic below. As you can see it seems to me as if the caliper is too far from the rotor since it doesn't grab enough of the rotor?

Anyone else had a similar problem on the ML or any bike for that matter?

Should I worry about it?

I thought it might have something to do with the positioniing of the holes on the frame, but I never had this problem with the 160 rotors.

Thanks for any input!

Mint

If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

On MTBR hiatus :(
    MintSauce, did you take your screen name from MBUK?

This seems like a typical problem I've run into on other Avid installs. I assume it's an alignment or rotor issue, since it doesn't occur on every installation.

Your recourse is to shave a few millimeters of material off of the adapter. It won't take much, and a flat bastard file will do. Nothing precise, since the CPS hardware will take care of any variances you have. Easiest to lay the file on a grippy surface (front door mat, for instance) and scrape the adapter back and forth until you lose the correct amount of material.

Replacement adapters are cheap, so no worries if you mess up.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Nate,
    when you saw this in other installations were the pads wearing unevenly?? I have used different rotors on my XTs and some look like that because the braking path is wider than the pads.... I usually don't care as long as the pads wear evenly and I don't get any weird behavior (squealing or shuddering).. could it be the case here??? (there is a small segment on the tip of the "wave" that seems like it is not contacted by the pads either)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    On one in particular, involving another brands wavy rotor, they weren't, and were in danger of growing some "pad overlap" at the top that would eventually prevent them from clamping properly.

On another, using Avid clean sweep rotors, it seemed that the brake track was too wide for the pads, so there was really no reason to adjust the caliper.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Nate....from MBUK yes, one of my fav cartoons.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that.

Wanted to say that performance is not affected at all. It feels much stronger than with the 160mm rotors.

crisillo....I haven't actually checked the pads since I just installed everything and have only done two rides on them, but i was concerned that they might wear unevenly. The front does not have this problem, so although performance is unaffected it just seems wrong for it to be doing that. Thanks for your imput though.

Will sort it tonight.

Mint
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    glad to help, Mint!

let us know what you find.... check the tips of the "waves"... at least on the pic, it appears as if the pad doesn't contact all the way up either, which would mean that the pads are making full contact, just a little bit higher on the braking track that your front brake.