mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Advice on FTM Carbon upgrades (cranks, 2x10,etc)

I'm looking at converting my ftm carbon to a 2x10. The XX cranks I'm looking at come in BB30 or GXP type bottom brackets - which one will work on the ftm carbon?

Also - I've read elsewhere that some folks are running XX1 setups without the 11 gear cassette in the back. Would you advice this type of setup?

THanks!

mtbr member
    GXP cranks. Both setups should work fine on your ftm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    GXP cranks. Both setups should work fine on your ftm.
    Thank you! I think I'm going to go with the XX1 in the front and 10spd in the back. I'll post the results when I get it together. I really want the full XX1 setup, but I just bought new wheels and can't really afford a new rear wheel.

mtbr member

Going to 2x10

I wouldn't worry too much about getting an XX1 front mech, you can down spec your front mech if you like, without any real difference.

I have an X0 2x10 setup on my FTM carbon and I bought the X0 front mech as well, then realised it was identical to the X9 mech so downgraded to that, saving me about 50% of the price in the process. SRAM are very cagey about admitting that their front mechs are all pretty much the same but I think they are, just with slightly different finishes and bolts to make the weight diff. Go to their site and see if you can figure out the difference As long as it is designed for the 2x range you should be good.

The X0 2x10 on the FTM is sweet and works very well. I was a bit concerned that the top end would loose a bit as I have the small X0 chainrings up front, but in practise it seems fine.

The only issue I've got with the FTM carbon and this setup is that the front gear cable stop on my frame is set a way round the side of the seat tube. This is just a manufacturing/design issue with my frame so I hope yours is better made. It means that the shifter cable touches the back of the seat tube. I guess over time it will cut a groove in it, but it shouldn't be too deep, so nothing to be too concerned about

Looking forward to your review!