Thread: 650B Idea

Jamin, Applesause, No?

650B Idea

To Titus,

Change the current FTMs into 650b bike by replacing the old Lightrail system with something better and stronger that could accept the wheel size, kinda like what Intense did with the Carbine excpt you change the entire seat stay not just the drop outs. maybe you would not have to change the chain stay. You could knock out 2 birds with one stone. You could sell the new seat stays to guys like me who want a 650b bike but are still happy with there current bike. I am sure Titus could figure out the numbers here to make the geometry work.

What does you sayeth?
    Last edited by Senor StrongBad; 09-07-2012 at 04:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Always thought that Ti looked incredible, but who the heck would make it?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 09-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Ultimated Outsider
    I would buy a set if it fit my Ti Motolite, but please keep an aluminum option.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Are there any custom frame builders out there that would want to tackle this? Ti would be the material of choice for them as I do not know any custom builders who weld aluminum. Most use steel but steel would be too heavy I think.

mtbr member
    I recall Titus saying they were not interested in 27.5 for now. They missed the boat on 29er and most likely will do the same on 27.5. I had a Carbon X and loved that bike. But as it wasn't 650B compatable, I moved on. I would like to see Titus get back into the innovation game but I don't think they have caught up with the company purchase. Contact Ventana if you want a rear end built or modified (lengthened). I inquired about a similar project and they quoted $400 min to lengthen aluminum chainstays. Anyone on here have a Racer X that would do some checks for on rear wheel clearance? I think the rear wheel moves away from the chainstay brace as it moves through it's travel but not sure how much. Can someone confirm?

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrdrms View Post
    I recall Titus saying they were not interested in 27.5 for now. They missed the boat on 29er and most likely will do the same on 27.5. I had a Carbon X and loved that bike. But as it wasn't 650B compatable, I moved on. I would like to see Titus get back into the innovation game but I don't think they have caught up with the company purchase. Contact Ventana if you want a rear end built or modified (lengthened). I inquired about a similar project and they quoted $400 min to lengthen aluminum chainstays. Anyone on here have a Racer X that would do some checks for on rear wheel clearance? I think the rear wheel moves away from the chainstay brace as it moves through it's travel but not sure how much. Can someone confirm?
    I would love to have a 29er rear triangle made for my MotoLite. I love the way that frame rides, I just wish it had the big wheels, too. If they could figure out the geometry and tire clearance issues it might be worthwhile to pay $400+ for one of those!
    That is probably asking way too much, though.

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    There isn't a 27.5in boat to miss. The El Guapo 29 will be perfectly contemporary when it appears shortly, you cheeky boy.
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    Brant just shrink the new EG 29 to 650B.

mtbr member

^^That would be an awesome bike..

Agree, I will need to have a vengeance coil ready to go for that

mtbr member
    No disrespect meant....I just think it would be great to see someone come off with a 4" travel XC bike that is race worthy. The Racer X is still the best frame I've riden....sure there were issues at first but the latest cabon x was a rocket. The AM riders and hardtailers are gettting there wish while the XC FS race crowd will have to wait a year or so for heavy hitters to realize the need....I would like to see Titus at the top of the list..... Wish I still had my old Jack Flash, too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Brant just shrink the new EG 29 to 650B.
    that I m thinking too..well, I m sure of that

And I have a feeling, that this bike, will be the first one that will be able to handle with respectfull control over of 140mm travel in front, IF bb height allows it and construction, and of course an available future fork.

for this particular bike will not be bad idea to have short bb heigt to allow that....
    (dont know about the short headtube but the construction there is meaty enough...but others play role too on that..I know that this is not the philosophy for this bike...just that "low" frame give ideas...)

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Agree, I will need to have a vengeance coil ready to go for that
    hehe, and I hope manitou makes a 34mm Tower Pro from nowhere to destroy the competition of that category too...

I have nothing to say about 650b so close to 26".... boring concept... nothing challenging there in matter of designing, and riding...All parameters are known....
    Last edited by ocean_29; 09-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.