mtbr member
    Sep 2008

650B on the front of a Motolite

Considering putting a 650B on the front of my Motolite to give it a bit of the big wheel feel. Fork is a Talas, seems like there's plenty of room.

What are the pluses and minuses?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll take a stab at answering my own question.

Pluses, better rollover small obstacles, more stable.

Minuses, harder to get over the front wheel on steep climbs, may necessitate more use of lower fork travel settings. Also less dollars in my pocket.

Am I thinking this through right?

mtbr member
    been awhile since I moved away from a motolite... iirc a number of folks agree that the front tends to wonder a bit and have found the sweet spot was a travel between 120-130. Anything more that front wondering increases.. I felt the same way too. Was running a 100-140 talas then.

Taller folks that can get more weight over the front would probably have less of this issue.

the bigger wheel will probably make you spend more time in the lower travel setting, not just on the climbs only.. Even turning at speed on flats and tight singletracks-- its much easier and fun at 120 setting and that is on normal 26" wheels...otherwise at the full 140 on the talas front would still be a tad sketchy. my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the biggest problem i see is that the BB is already way high if your running high volume tires and 120mm+ fork. If I were going to try running a 650b it would be on a 100mm fork. otherwise you'll feel like youre on stilts. try and find someone with a front wheel you can try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    the biggest problem i see is that the BB is already way high if your running high volume tires and 120mm+ fork. If I were going to try running a 650b it would be on a 100mm fork. otherwise you'll feel like youre on stilts. try and find someone with a front wheel you can try.
    For me the bottom bracket feels fine now, we have a lot of rocky, rutty trails so it's nice to have good clearance.

Good point about testing, that'd be the best. Surprised no one out there has tried this yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you can find a 26er fork that'll fit 650b it might be perfect for you then. Give it a go.

mtbr member
    I still run this setup (B6) on my 07 ML, with a RS Revelation usually at ~125mm or so, 2.3 neo-moto, 2.2 pana cinder in back, 2x9 xt drivetrain.

It's a decent compromise where you get the increased rollover ability up front and keep the quick spinup and lower gear ratio out back. No plans on changing anything, still works great for me

mtbr member
    Some more info on my setup with fork clearance shots: http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/titus-mo...to-584140.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus View Post
    Some more info on my setup with fork clearance shots: http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/titus-mo...to-584140.html
    Thanks, I knew someone out there must have tried this. Good to see it's worked out for you.