Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 650b El Guapo?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

650b El Guapo?

Out of Curiosity..

I see the MkI (assuming 08-> 09 model was MkI) listed in the 650bPalace as "650b from 26" converted List", but not sure if it applies to the latest frames for sale on Titus/On-One website.

650B Palace: 650B from 26" Convertible List

Has anyone tried running 650b on the 2011 El Guapo (MkII)?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kfother View Post
    Out of Curiosity..

I see the MkI (assuming 08-> 09 model was MkI) listed in the 650bPalace as "650b from 26" converted List", but not sure if it applies to the latest frames for sale on Titus/On-One website.

650B does not fit in any current Titus 26" frames.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    .. was just looking at some Pacenti 650 rims earlier...
    Maybe just a 650 front but keep rear at 26"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi

Could there be any upgrade to the frame (like rear triangle replacement) that would fit the 650B?

mtbr member
    No, it's been hard enough for some wanting a 142x12 rear let alone a new, longer setup for 650b. then there's the whole getting the geometry right on the front end too.

Brant is pretty blatant about not liking the idea too.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I am almost tempted to do a run of 650b frames. I know exactly what to do geometry wise, but really feel its bandwagon jumping and almost exploitative.
    Right now the fork type supported for large 650b tyres is only Revelation which is of course the same as 29in, but at least 29ers have that extra roll over ability.

U $ 4 O?
    Dont fox/xfusion 36s work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Dont fox/xfusion 36s work?
    Not interested in bodged fudged components.

Ps: can other people see that FRS Lance Armstrong banner up there erroneously claiming he won the tour seven times? #bitofpolitics

U $ 4 O?

Fox def botched. Thought fusion specifically made the veng compatible w higher ac? If so would give me another good reason to buy one

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I am almost tempted to do a run of 650b frames. I know exactly what to do geometry wise, but really feel its bandwagon jumping and almost exploitative.
    I'm not against the idea of 650B wheels, but amongst the candidates for the conversion I don't see the EG being one to benifit from it. She is long and low with a good amount of travel, a true AM machine that is perfect for what she is, as she is.

Ps: can other people see that FRS Lance Armstrong banner up there erroneously claiming he won the tour seven times? #bitofpolitics
    I've been seeing it for days.

mtbr member
    Seems like 650B is all the rage with alot of manufacturers discontinuing 26" wheels in certain models. Brant, go for it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah i think you should if it'll make money and be a good ride.
    also, might give me a reason to buy again as some small tweaks wouldn't.. #
    (you should still do the small fixes and keep 26 EG going imho at least for a few years?)

mtbr member
    O good lord please don't do it. I'm not even done paying for the second 26" Eg

Unless you go making other changes how about concentraiting on the 29" EG and leaving the 650 stuff to the "us too" guys, for a little while atleast..

mtbr member
    Right now the fork type supported for large 650b tyres is only Revelation which is of course the same as 29in, but at least 29ers have that extra roll over ability.
    Hey Brant, Don't the 650b Fox 34's and 650b WB loops forks handle pretty big tyres?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

El Guapo V3 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by kfother View Post
    Out of Curiosity..

No, but i am now building up a El Guapo v3 27.5 version. I mounted a 27.5 x 2.1 Pacenti tire on a Stans Crest rim in the rear and i have a 2013 Fox F34 160 27.5 fork on the front with a 27.5 x 2.25 Pacenti and a Stans Crest rim. Silver Chris King hubs with DT Swiss Aerolite spokes on deanoized and polished crest rims. When i am finished i will park it next to my MotoLite Ti 27.5. HiHo Silver

mtbr member
    Why on earth would you want an El Guapo with a 2.1in tyre?

U $ 4 O?

Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Brant is pretty blatant about not liking the idea too.
    From that to "tempted"... while not a 180 turn, that's gotta be at least a 90

Though I need me a 36 on EG

and 2.4s
    Last edited by Deerhill; 09-26-2012 at 12:31 PM.

screamer
    Not sure 650b for the EG is the answer. What about as a way to re-launch the FTM which seems due for Brantification anyway? More in line with the upcoming/available fork and tire options. In my opinion, 650b is all about compromise in the first place, ideally aimed at people looking for one versatile bike to bridge the spectrum between 5" 26-ers (fast accelerating and nimble) and 140mm 29-ers (chunder tractors). Or to put it another way, it makes a 5" trail bike slightly more capable in the rough. The EG seems pretty well suited for its intended task (in both 26" and 29" forms) but the efforts of people to lighten theirs up for racing (craigstr?) and put 2.1 tires on the back suggests there's another segment out there, which a 650b FTM could serve well.

5" travel, 68 degree head angle @150mm fork (67 w/slackset) & 650b, clearance for 2.3 650b tires, dropper post guides, 6ish frame + shock weight for easy build in the 27ish range without breaking the bank, bb height as appropriate... Killer!

Hell, maybe it's just easier to make these changes to the EG & just re-badge it FTM! 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmargoli View Post
    Hi

Could there be any upgrade to the frame (like rear triangle replacement) that would fit the 650B?
    I broke down last year to measure the 27.5s on my 2010 w/ 09 ss, rc4 and st has a little more clearance than cs. At the least, needs a new yoke to clear chunky middle tread and maybe little steeper st

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Not sure 650b for the EG is the answer. What about as a way to re-launch the FTM which seems due for Brantification anyway? More in line with the upcoming/available fork and tire options. In my opinion, 650b is all about compromise in the first place, ideally aimed at people looking for one versatile bike to bridge the spectrum between 5" 26-ers (fast accelerating and nimble) and 140mm 29-ers (chunder tractors). Or to put it another way, it makes a 5" trail bike slightly more capable in the rough. The EG seems pretty well suited for its intended task (in both 26" and 29" forms) but the efforts of people to lighten theirs up for racing (craigstr?) and put 2.1 tires on the back suggests there's another segment out there, which a 650b FTM could serve well.

5" travel, 68 degree head angle @150mm fork (67 w/slackset) & 650b, clearance for 2.3 650b tires, dropper post guides, 6ish frame + shock weight for easy build in the 27ish range without breaking the bank, bb height as appropriate... Killer!

Hell, maybe it's just easier to make these changes to the EG & just re-badge it FTM! 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
    I couldn't agree more. The FTM is ripe for new stays and a perfect platform for 650B, the EG is already perfected.

mtbr member
    " travel, 68 degree head angle @150mm fork (67 w/slackset) & 650b, clearance for 2.3 650b tires, dropper post guides, 6ish frame + shock weight for easy build in the 27ish range without breaking the bank, bb height as appropriate... Killer!

Not bad ideas at all.

BUT! With all the negative press the aluminum FTM got I would say loose the name all together. it was a fun bike but just had too many little things wrong that added up to something that just muddy'd the name up too much.

I still say do the above changes (650b compatability with fat tires, decent BB hights, dropper post routing, 140-150mm travel, and make it jive with a 160mm fork) and call it.......El Jefe!

Oh and make the whole damn thing out of ALUMINUM! no facking carbon. thanks, and that is all.

screamer

Resurrect the Motolite

And one more thing... Bring back the "motolite" name. That'd be great to connect to the Titus legacy, since this bike had a loyal following (myself included). The FTM was plagued with problems -- both technically and in terms of marketing -- and never really hit its stride. So a 650b re-launch would be a great way to build on past successes and differentiate it from the EG.

mtbr member
    I second. Bring back the Motolite.

mtbr member
    But that would mean I'd have to make the Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord in a 650B size!

screamer
    But that would mean I'd have to make the Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord in a 650B size!
    Well, with the piss-poor 650b tire selection (and I'm talking about actual availability, not hyped promises of next year's stuff), that would probably be an awesome business move. The trick is finding bikes that can accommodate those tires when caked with the mud that they were designed for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast