Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!

This was at more doorstep this morning when I got back from my morning run. Weighed 5.86 lbs for a large with shock and seat collar. Top and down tube are burly! Internal cable routing, protective downtube plate and chainstay plate. Comes with a qr seatclamp that is proprietary as it has an angular cut to spread out the clamping forces. Finish is top notch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030030.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030022.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030023.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030025.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030028.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030029.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030021.jpg  

Dozer
    It is pretty sharp. Perhaps I could be swayed...

A few thoughts, though:
    1. The proprietary seat clamp bothers me a bit. Do they have a non-qr version available?
    2. Does anyone else think the headtube reminds them of a soda can?

Can't wait to see it all built up, Craigstr.

mtbr member
    Should have it built up this weekend. I used to think the 1.5" HT looked like a soda can. All the carbon frames now have the big, beefy HT. I was a bit bummed by the seat collar as I had a nice Hope I was going to put on but the tube is slotted in 4 places and the collar spreads the load over a much larger area which should help hold the seatpost better. I've never had a carbon frame but many of my riding buddies that have them always have problems keeping the posts straight, you have to be careful not to over tighten it for sure on most carbon frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What wheels you gonna use? That's over a pound off EG...looks like a rocket

mtbr member
    American Classic MTB 29. 1600 grams.
    MTB|26/29 TUBELESS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi craigst
    I'm keen to see your frame built up. I have a FTM Carbon & a Fireline EVO Ti 29er & the Rockstar carbon 29er is on my wish list...Perhaps net Christmas in the On-One sales.....
    John

mtbr member

Looks good Craig. Almost gave me a second thought on my recent purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Looks good Craig. Almost gave me a second thought on my recent purchase.
    Which was?

mtbr member

Norco Sight killer B. Unfortunately it is oversold by 300% according to the Norco dealer.

Dozer

Geo numbers

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    This was at more doorstep this morning when I got back from my morning run. Weighed 5.86 lbs for a large with shock and seat collar. Top and down tube are burly! Internal cable routing, protective downtube plate and chainstay plate. Comes with a qr seatclamp that is proprietary as it has an angular cut to spread out the clamping forces. Finish is top notch.
    Are the geometry numbers for this and the aluminum Rockstar (version 2) identical?

mtbr member
    According to Brant...Yes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Norco Sight killer B. Unfortunately it is oversold by 300% according to the Norco dealer.
    So did you get one? My favorite bike at Interbike this year was the Carbine 275, that bike rocked for a playbike!

ballbuster
    ... and headtube length. Is it Lefty friendly?

I'm still eyeing a V1 Rockstar, just because the TT is long enough on the Medium, and the head tube is short enough, on that bike. Other than those requirements, I would rather go with the new carbon one.

Also, Titus is doing them for $750, but not including the $230 Monarch shock. Almost $1000 is not that great a deal for a several year old model, IMHO. It's only a hunny or two less than the current one.

I love my RX29er (with Lefty) but I wish it had a bit more travel.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Are the geometry numbers for this and the aluminum Rockstar (version 2) identical?

mtbr member

So did you get one? My favorite bike at Interbike this year was the Carbine 275, that bike rocked for a playbike!
    Nope, but it should be here in May. Which is okay since we still have about 6 inches of snow on the trails in Northern AZ. Sedona is calling my name though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Look much better than those iodines. You gonna go w/ michelins again? I have my eyes peeled for when those grip'rs come out. Waiting to check out the lugs on that 2.35

mtbr member
    Went with Michelin Racer R's. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Here are some teasers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050359.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050360.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050362.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i've said before i don't think these frames are that light, for carbon. do they ride much different to the alloy one, otherwise i can't see the advantage, and you're getting the extra worry of carbon. do look good though i agree.

yeah it's about 500g lighter than EG (26). so the EG is amazingly light really. but i don't know what EG29 weighs, maybe another lb?

mtbr member
    Well there is the shock absorption and resonance that carbon offers. I never weighed my aluminum Rockstar but I bet the frame was close to 7 lbs, so a one lb. weight savings is nice. I admit, this being my first carbon frame, that I get a little nervous about dinging it. I ordered Shelter tape for the downtube and chainstay. Its weird looking down inside the headtube and not seeing the normal tube junctions but just a large void.

mtbr member

Don't worry about carbon. I ride my Lurcher pretty hard and there's no signs of cracks or any damage. It's taken a hit on the down tube from a golf ball size rock and its still going strong. I did cover my down tube with 3m Clear Bra (automotive protectant for a cars hood or bonnet wherever you're from).

mtbr member

Built it up yesterday

Initial "down the street and around the park" test ride tells me its much stiffer laterally then the aluminum version, the feel of carbon over rough ground is far superior to that of aluminum. It came in a 25.66 lbs minus the front derailleur, I ordered the wrong direct mount, should be just below 26 lbs with the front mech installed. Not bad for a large framed 29 with decent tires. Speaking of tires, the Michelin Wild Race'R's seem pretty nice, tons of volume, the 2.1 rear is smack at 2.1" and the 2.25 front is actually 2.3". Everything went together really well except for having to pull apart the rear brake line to thread it up into the frame, kinda a PIA because I would not have had to shorten the line otherwise but now it is a very clean look. Hope brakes are ridiculously easy to bleed, so much easier then avids. Here are the build specs:
    2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar (large)
    2013 Rock Shox SID RCT3
    FSA C40 headset
    Truvativ AKA 80mm stem
    Easton Carbon Haven 711mm
    Truvativ T40 aluminum zero setback
    WTB Silverado
    SRAM XO gripshift
    SRAM XO 170mm cranks w/ 24/38/Bash
    Shimano XT pedals
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette
    SRAM X9 medium cage derailleur
    SRAM XO High direct mount front derailleur
    KMC 10SL chain
    Hope Tech Evo stealth w/ floating rotors 160 rear/183 front
    American Classic MTB 29 wheels
    Michelin Wild Race"R 2.1" rear, 2.25" front tubeless with CafeLatex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050364.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050371.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050365.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050366.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050367.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050368.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050370.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050369.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050372.jpg  

mtbr member

Looks good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Top and down tube are burly! Internal cable routing, protective downtube plate and chainstay plate. Comes with a qr seatclamp that is proprietary as it has an angular cut to spread out the clamping forces. Finish is top notch.
    Cool photo from the HT looking back, I see what you mean from the profile on the tubes

mtbr member
    May 2008
    that is light! but what if you put same wheels (and shocks, not really possible though) on the alloy frame?
    i'm thinking maybe my next bike could be a carbon 29er. heh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Oh, was thinking about getting some hope floating rotors.. read they are a tight fit (too far outboard on some other forks), any clearance issues?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 03-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome brake choice!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast