Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!

This was at more doorstep this morning when I got back from my morning run. Weighed 5.86 lbs for a large with shock and seat collar. Top and down tube are burly! Internal cable routing, protective downtube plate and chainstay plate. Comes with a qr seatclamp that is proprietary as it has an angular cut to spread out the clamping forces. Finish is top notch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030030.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030022.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030023.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030025.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030028.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030029.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1030021.jpg  

Dozer
    It is pretty sharp. Perhaps I could be swayed...

A few thoughts, though:
    1. The proprietary seat clamp bothers me a bit. Do they have a non-qr version available?
    2. Does anyone else think the headtube reminds them of a soda can?

Can't wait to see it all built up, Craigstr.

mtbr member
    Should have it built up this weekend. I used to think the 1.5" HT looked like a soda can. All the carbon frames now have the big, beefy HT. I was a bit bummed by the seat collar as I had a nice Hope I was going to put on but the tube is slotted in 4 places and the collar spreads the load over a much larger area which should help hold the seatpost better. I've never had a carbon frame but many of my riding buddies that have them always have problems keeping the posts straight, you have to be careful not to over tighten it for sure on most carbon frames.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    What wheels you gonna use? That's over a pound off EG...looks like a rocket

mtbr member
    American Classic MTB 29. 1600 grams.
    MTB|26/29 TUBELESS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi craigst
    I'm keen to see your frame built up. I have a FTM Carbon & a Fireline EVO Ti 29er & the Rockstar carbon 29er is on my wish list...Perhaps net Christmas in the On-One sales.....
    John

mtbr member

Looks good Craig. Almost gave me a second thought on my recent purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Looks good Craig. Almost gave me a second thought on my recent purchase.
    Which was?

mtbr member

Norco Sight killer B. Unfortunately it is oversold by 300% according to the Norco dealer.

Dozer

Geo numbers

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    This was at more doorstep this morning when I got back from my morning run. Weighed 5.86 lbs for a large with shock and seat collar. Top and down tube are burly! Internal cable routing, protective downtube plate and chainstay plate. Comes with a qr seatclamp that is proprietary as it has an angular cut to spread out the clamping forces. Finish is top notch.
    Are the geometry numbers for this and the aluminum Rockstar (version 2) identical?

mtbr member
    According to Brant...Yes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Norco Sight killer B. Unfortunately it is oversold by 300% according to the Norco dealer.
    So did you get one? My favorite bike at Interbike this year was the Carbine 275, that bike rocked for a playbike!

ballbuster
    ... and headtube length. Is it Lefty friendly?

I'm still eyeing a V1 Rockstar, just because the TT is long enough on the Medium, and the head tube is short enough, on that bike. Other than those requirements, I would rather go with the new carbon one.

Also, Titus is doing them for $750, but not including the $230 Monarch shock. Almost $1000 is not that great a deal for a several year old model, IMHO. It's only a hunny or two less than the current one.

I love my RX29er (with Lefty) but I wish it had a bit more travel.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Are the geometry numbers for this and the aluminum Rockstar (version 2) identical?

mtbr member

So did you get one? My favorite bike at Interbike this year was the Carbine 275, that bike rocked for a playbike!
    Nope, but it should be here in May. Which is okay since we still have about 6 inches of snow on the trails in Northern AZ. Sedona is calling my name though.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Look much better than those iodines. You gonna go w/ michelins again? I have my eyes peeled for when those grip'rs come out. Waiting to check out the lugs on that 2.35

mtbr member
    Went with Michelin Racer R's. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Here are some teasers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050359.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050360.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050362.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i've said before i don't think these frames are that light, for carbon. do they ride much different to the alloy one, otherwise i can't see the advantage, and you're getting the extra worry of carbon. do look good though i agree.

yeah it's about 500g lighter than EG (26). so the EG is amazingly light really. but i don't know what EG29 weighs, maybe another lb?

mtbr member
    Well there is the shock absorption and resonance that carbon offers. I never weighed my aluminum Rockstar but I bet the frame was close to 7 lbs, so a one lb. weight savings is nice. I admit, this being my first carbon frame, that I get a little nervous about dinging it. I ordered Shelter tape for the downtube and chainstay. Its weird looking down inside the headtube and not seeing the normal tube junctions but just a large void.

mtbr member

Don't worry about carbon. I ride my Lurcher pretty hard and there's no signs of cracks or any damage. It's taken a hit on the down tube from a golf ball size rock and its still going strong. I did cover my down tube with 3m Clear Bra (automotive protectant for a cars hood or bonnet wherever you're from).

mtbr member

Built it up yesterday

Initial "down the street and around the park" test ride tells me its much stiffer laterally then the aluminum version, the feel of carbon over rough ground is far superior to that of aluminum. It came in a 25.66 lbs minus the front derailleur, I ordered the wrong direct mount, should be just below 26 lbs with the front mech installed. Not bad for a large framed 29 with decent tires. Speaking of tires, the Michelin Wild Race'R's seem pretty nice, tons of volume, the 2.1 rear is smack at 2.1" and the 2.25 front is actually 2.3". Everything went together really well except for having to pull apart the rear brake line to thread it up into the frame, kinda a PIA because I would not have had to shorten the line otherwise but now it is a very clean look. Hope brakes are ridiculously easy to bleed, so much easier then avids. Here are the build specs:
    2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar (large)
    2013 Rock Shox SID RCT3
    FSA C40 headset
    Truvativ AKA 80mm stem
    Easton Carbon Haven 711mm
    Truvativ T40 aluminum zero setback
    WTB Silverado
    SRAM XO gripshift
    SRAM XO 170mm cranks w/ 24/38/Bash
    Shimano XT pedals
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette
    SRAM X9 medium cage derailleur
    SRAM XO High direct mount front derailleur
    KMC 10SL chain
    Hope Tech Evo stealth w/ floating rotors 160 rear/183 front
    American Classic MTB 29 wheels
    Michelin Wild Race"R 2.1" rear, 2.25" front tubeless with CafeLatex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050364.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050371.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050365.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050366.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050367.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050368.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050370.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050369.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050372.jpg  

mtbr member

Looks good!

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Top and down tube are burly! Internal cable routing, protective downtube plate and chainstay plate. Comes with a qr seatclamp that is proprietary as it has an angular cut to spread out the clamping forces. Finish is top notch.
    Cool photo from the HT looking back, I see what you mean from the profile on the tubes

mtbr member
    May 2008
    that is light! but what if you put same wheels (and shocks, not really possible though) on the alloy frame?
    i'm thinking maybe my next bike could be a carbon 29er. heh.

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Oh, was thinking about getting some hope floating rotors.. read they are a tight fit (too far outboard on some other forks), any clearance issues?
    Last edited by J:; 03-03-2013 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome brake choice!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    about carbon.. at least you know what shape your frame's gonna be.. the right shape.

baddum tish (ref Guapo thread).

mtbr member

All done

Finally got the correct front derailleur. I also had to go to the non-SL version of the KMC chain as it only comes in 112 links and I needed 114. I also installed the rear 10x135 thru axle conversion, my garmin mount, and shelter tape on the downtube and chainstay. Total weight is 26.4 lbs. A little heavier then I wanted but still much lighter then my EG in XC trim and the aluminum rockstar I had which weighed 27.86 lbs set up the way I would ride it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050416.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050417.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050418.jpg  

5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-p1050419.jpg  

Last edited by craigstr; 03-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    hello
    I am seriously thinking of getting a Med Carbon RockStar frame set to race xc.
    I have talked to Patrick and Mike at Titus they have top reviews, but I want to know from the consumer, like your self your over all opinion. How stiff on the climb and hows
    the control on the down hill. fit and finish. Are all the pivot joints solid and without shack or rattle? Do you notice the longer chain stay length design to provide a more stable tracking bite, or is it more plush and smooth? yet still very responsive?
    please help thanks so much.

mtbr member
    I raced an aluminum V2 Rockstar most of last season. That frame has the same geometry and exact same rear triangle and rocker as the new carbon version. So from a longevity standpoint, that rear end held up fine, no play, etc. I cant really comment on the new bike as I have only ridden it around my neighborhood, it wont get a proper shakedown for a few weeks. It feels the same as the aluminum version, in terms of fit and geometry but feels laterally stiffer. Finish is great, but to be honest I did chip the paint on the headtube when putting it together, so be careful there. The headtube, BB, and brake tabs are machined nicely. Make sure you get the correct front derailleur, it takes a high direct mount. I found the aluminum version to be very stable yet easy to turn with the longer rear stays. Are there lighter carbon framed 100mm 29er's? Yes but for the price of the Rockstar you can afford to make it up in the build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ordered mine the other day. Going to build it up with Sram XX, Rockshox Sid XX World Cup, Custom Tune / ZTR Crest wheelset, Formula R1 Racing brakes and Ritchey Carbon stem & handlebar. It should weigh in around 9.8Kg. About 700g more than my XTR Titus Carbon X! Can't wait

Dozer
    Craig, did you go with 100 or 120mm SID fork? Care to comment on the front/rear suspension balance?

mtbr member
    I went with 100mm SID and it feels very balanced. I thought about buying a 110mm air spring at first bit Im happy with the 100mm.

mtbr member
    Last edited by craigstr; 04-29-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: double post

Paper or plastic?
    Nice bike. You're going to be a rocket now!
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just ordered a Medium, any further opinions now that you've had it for a bit? Haven't seen many reviews around the interwebs.

mtbr member
    Loving it. Had my first local series race win last week. Its super stiff torsionally, so far only one paint chip and that was during assembly. The shock tune is good (the al version was valved a bit stiff). No complaints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.86 lbs of pure carbon goodness!-8705358593_dcb2a600e2_k.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats on the win.

Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to get it. Planning on running a SID 120mm, hope it won't make the handling too relaxed.

mtbr member
    I think 120mm would be fine, I was thinking about going 110mm on mine by changing the air spring. Is your fork a 12 or 13? 12's you could just add a spacer and lower the travel in 10mm increments, 13's you have to change the air spring assembly (about $75).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Your build looks sweet! I'm really thinking of building one up myself, but maybe the alu version. Question, and hopefully someone can answer me. I got a 12' 100mm reba with 1-1/8" steerer, about 7 1/4" long, that I would like to use. Will the 7-1/4" long work with a couple of spacers?

mtbr member
    Not sure. Mine is about 7.5" with the stem slammed with an internal headset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    craigstr. congrats on the win.
    Just wanted to post an update on my TITUS ROCKSTAR CARBON.
    check out my blog to see picks and review.
    ROCKSTAR CARBON
    Still in process, but I hope it helps anyone who is interested in buying the ROCKSTAR CARBON.
    Ridding the ROCKSTAR IS AN ABSOLUTE BLAST, I CANT STAY OFF IT
    IT'S TOTALLY ADDICTING.

mtbr member
    Nice blog chaosquest. Great resource for someone building up a Carbon Rockstar. Was your listed weight actual or the sum of all your components listed weights?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks.
    Actual weight is 26.2lb. I'm running tubes with Stans sealant. and the tires are kind of heavy and I used m520 pedals that are a bit heaver then most.

insert blank disk

I happened to meet chaosquest at our local social ride last night. He caught me just in time as I was about to order a new camber. Now he's got me hooked on rockstar carbon. Going to lean on his experience with the build. I will post up as things get going!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Craig,

I just ordered the same frame in Large,
    A few questions:

On the on-one website it was offered without a seat-clamp. What clamp would be the best to use?

Is it possible to internally route another cable to a dropper seatpost?

Will a 2.25 nobby nic in a ztr flow ex rim fit on the rear?

How do you like your bike so far?

mtbr member
    I would get the stock clamp, it has a bigger surface area so less force has to be applied to hold your post. I dont think you could get a dropper post cable in with the other two, hole is too small. Should jave no problem, I think up to a 2.4 would fit fine, I love the bike.

mtbr member
    Very sharp looking bike, Craig. It looks freaking fast!

I want to get a faster, light XC/trail bike. Lovin' the Chili but for many of my every day rides it is overkill. It works fine.... but something faster on the smoother stuff would be fun.

I was thinking 100-120mm FS 29er like the Czar or a lighter 130-140mm 650b like the Carbine or Norco Sight carbon...maybe a 650b Endorphin (Carbon???) if it comes out. This Rockstar looks interesting though.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    It is fast Krob, I won 40-49 Cat 2 at the opening Sierra Cup race last weekend. I actually had the fastest time of all Cat 2 age groups. Old Guys Rule! It is a super fun bike. My El Guapo is getting very little ride time, I dont really enjoy riding it anymore. I'm going to build up an El Guapo 29 as soon as they become available. I can train and play on that and not have such an adjustment period when I switch bikes. That being said, I think you should get something light and fast. That Carbine was a freaking blast if you want 650B but I think you will like the 29" wheel in our Nevada chunk.

mtbr member
    It is fast Krob, I won 40-49 Cat 2 at the opening Sierra Cup race last weekend. I actually had the fastest time of all Cat 2 age groups. Old Guys Rule! It is a super fun bike. My El Guapo is getting very little ride time, I dont really enjoy riding it anymore. I'm going to build up an El Guapo 29 as soon as they become available. I can train and play on that and not have such an adjustment period when I switch bikes. That being said, I think you should get something light and fast. That Carbine was a freaking blast if you want 650B but I think you will like the 29" wheel in our Nevada chunk.
    Congrats on the win. They'll being moving you up to Cat 1 pretty quick if you keep destroying the whole Cat 2 field.

That's what I'm afraid of. If I get a fast XC 29er.... I'll rarely touch the Chilcotin except trips to chunkier areas and the occasional Whorehouse Hill shuttle. With only one bike, I don't know what I'm missing.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm planning on moving up to Cat1 next season if all goes well. My local Thursday night XC series is more competitive as all the ages are grouped together, 3 races in I have a 3rd, 1st, & 4th. My lap times would usually put me in the lower half of the Cat1 field so I dont think I'm ready to move up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast