mtbr member

4 days of non-stop EG....

My Contour cam didnt come back in time for the trip and everyone's hands were mostly too shaky and exhausted to snap properly from the heat and adrenaline rush...

2 years ago was pretty scary for me... with the freaky weather and severe erosion in the last, definitely not going back to Penang Island, Malaysia next time without a full DH bike.

Some of these is really beyond my skill level... was goaded, cajoled and swallowed real hard before my attempts..

After all the arm pump...wasn't my slickest descend down the rock gardens

Never happier to see the uplift truck by afternoon runs

...Day 3 & 4 on the mainland @ Mount To'kun
    Some of the most flowy lines I have ever ridden...

Froze on the next one until a friend, a local pro demo the way to aim and shoot from top down @ the 2 foot pallet to avoid the ditch.

my turn...

Totally flat out by end of day 4. EG, really battered on this trip, lots of repair/maintenance this week.
    Last edited by anvil_den; 07-18-2011 at 02:17 AM.

searcher
    Serious lookin trails man! A misterious yeti in yellow just escaped from the camera on one of your pictures !
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Scary trail

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    definitely looks awesome for a 200mm travel bike thinking... Demo8

Brave man you are to take them with a 150mm EG!!! and not to mention 68deg Headtube angle.....scary...

mtbr member
    Looks just like Hebden Bridge where I ride. El G is the perfect bike :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

EG with angleset

Agree with the steep head angle comment. I put a 1.5 degree angleset in my EG and now it is the perfect "north shore" (vancouver) AM bike. I use it on the trails that can only be accessed by climbing, but am able to go down any black or double black trail (skull, ladies etc.)with confidence.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwolfe0815 View Post
    Agree with the steep head angle comment. I put a 1.5 degree angleset in my EG and now it is the perfect "north shore" (vancouver) AM bike. I use it on the trails that can only be accessed by climbing, but am able to go down any black or double black trail (skull, ladies etc.)with confidence.
    +1 on the Angleset. 1.5 degree slacker on the HT plus the extra length of a TALAS 180 completely compensates for my general lack of skill. Rode it all over BC this summer and it saved my ass over and over again.

mtbr member
    Odd. With a Lyrik in it, my El G sits at 66.7deg according to my iPhone.
    I was going to slack it a degree, but I love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ^^ cool jungle pics

For those tuning with the Angleset║, how much does it lower the bottom bracket?

I love how the 160 fork matches the rear travel on this bike (tried just about every setup, except teh angleset). Been using a large volume front w/ 2.3 Maxxis out back to get it under 67║. Huge improvement, but the small tire size is lacking big time. I'm thinking bigger tire sizes w/ angleset is where it's at with EG. Tons of tire clearance out back..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    ^^ cool jungle pics

For those tuning with the Angleset║, how much does it lower the bottom bracket?

I love how the 160 fork matches the rear travel on this bike (tried just about every setup, except teh angleset). Been using a large volume front w/ 2.3 Maxxis out back to get it under 67║. Huge improvement, but the small tire size is lacking big time. I'm thinking bigger tire sizes w/ angleset is where it's at with EG. Tons of tire clearance out back..

The bottom bracket change is hardly noticeable (1 degree angleset). But it definitely makes a difference on the downhill. I'm still comparing the Nomad and EG (it's been taking longer because of health issues). Prior to the angleset the Nomad clearly won on the downhills but after they were equal. You can really just charge into rough stuff without worry. After one round of riding and then swapping parts over to the other frame I'm leaning towards keeping the EG

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Angleset

Funny how with the angleset, and a 160 u-turn lyrik the bike feels very much like my big bike (knolly v-tach). It just is way lighter and pedals better on the uphill due to the rp23 lock out. BB is 13 even which is similar in a sense to my v-tach (14.5 BB subtract 7.75 travel = 6.75 for the v-tach vs. 13 BB subtract 6 = 7 for the EG ). However it sits lower overall when pedalling so i have to get used to the potential for pedal strikes.

I have to say though i am super happy with the bike. I am using it to rehab through acl reconstruction and it feels super stable on mt. Fromme trails (black and light double black). While not as fast as the big bike going down it is tonnes of fun and great to earn your turns.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah with its short wheel base and very rigid frame... this bike can really lean and turn fast! and totally no problem point and charge at most terrain!!! The limiting factor will be the rider, ME!!!