mtbr member

2x(X) chain guide help

I've only ever run 1x10 on my own El Guapos, but we have a customer having problems running 2x10 on a double shimano crankset. Saying there is no clearance and his inner chainring is almost fouling the chain device, and a chain won't run on it.

Customer suggests we should be offsetting ISCG05 inwards, but we're to spec.

Any assistance out there? It's Sunday and I don't have parts on me to test.

mtbr member
    Yes, if the customer is using the the normal 1 x 2.5mm spacer on drive side-- I doubt it will clear or at the very least may have to change bolt with the flattest head he can find.

A number of ISCG tabs I seen are also welded slightly out of alignment...

Offsetting the iscg maybe ~2-2.5mm inwards would be good if there are no other forseeable problems. I think a few have "nodded" to this in one of the older thread here.

Some chain guide works better than others but running a shimano whether dedicated double or with large ring removed... I need 4.5mm of spacer on drive side and it still doesnt clear too well but have to leave it at that. Would need another couple 2-3mm more but chainline and sufficient spline left to secure left crank arm would be affected.

mtbr member

Yeah, I agree about the offset

I believe the ISCG 05 spec allows you to offset the tabs a few mm inwards. My Knolly Delirium is offset which allows you to really fine tune your chainline. I have fit several types of 2x10 guides on my 2010 & 2011/12 EG's, Stinger, MRP XCG, MRP 2X, all had problems with the inner ring coming too close to the guide plate, I ended up getting 1mm BB shims and shimming out the drive side cup to the point that it didnt rub. Right now I am using the Bionicon V2 guide, no issues at all, no dropped chains, very little chain slap.
    c.guide

U $ 4 O?
    Find someone w/ one of these

mtbr member
    Probelm is that thing costs a shop close to 500$ J.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah, just shaving off some of the face will sort this? tabs look pretty thick.
    wanted to run 2x9, looks like ignoring the tabs and using bb mount or that chainstay mount thing above might be needed.
    shame to have tabs sitting there unusable :/
    shimming cranks out that far seems bad both for q-factor and the splines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I believe the ISCG 05 spec allows you to offset the tabs a few mm inwards. My Knolly Delirium is offset which allows you to really fine tune your chainline. I have fit several types of 2x10 guides on my 2010 & 2011/12 EG's, Stinger, MRP XCG, MRP 2X, all had problems with the inner ring coming too close to the guide plate, I ended up getting 1mm BB shims and shimming out the drive side cup to the point that it didnt rub. Right now I am using the Bionicon V2 guide, no issues at all, no dropped chains, very little chain slap.
    c.guide
    So, I got one of these Simple | D A R T M O O R for my 2x10 setup...
    Do you think I'll have a problem too? What is the workaround to fit it?
    I don't have it in my hands yet to see if there is a problem. I may have it this week so I will be able to test it...
    Damn...

mtbr member
    Never know until you try. All depends on crank manufacturer. Race Face and Shimano tend to have the inner ring sit more inboard then SRAM. If you can find these:
    Universal Cycles -- Bottom Bracket Shims
    pick some up, I got a bag of 1mm and several 1.5mm and .7mm, I just shim out the drive side until it doesnt rub. It might push the chainline out a bit but its the price you pay to keep your chain on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Never know until you try. All depends on crank manufacturer. Race Face and Shimano tend to have the inner ring sit more inboard then SRAM. If you can find these:
    Universal Cycles -- Bottom Bracket Shims
    pick some up, I got a bag of 1mm and several 1.5mm and .7mm, I just shim out the drive side until it doesnt rub. It might push the chainline out a bit but its the price you pay to keep your chain on.
    I'll wait and see... Let you know.

mtbr member
    Brant, did you tested it?

mtbr member
    Brant, here's a pix from my bike.

Race face AM crankset 2x10 setup.