mtbr member

Which 2x Chainset can fit a chain device in version 3 El Guapo?

Hi guys,

as we all know there is a bit of a problem whit some 2x cranksets which don't leave room for mounting a chain device on the ISCG 05 mount.
    I got a Race Face Ride AM chainset and it leaves me a couple of millimeters gap between the inner ring and the ISCG 05 mount on the frame so I got a Bionicon chaintensioner which I am not very happy with.
    Can anyone tell me a couple of other optional and economical cranksets so I will be able to install an MRP or eThirteen chain device?
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    I ran a MRP 2X with SRAM X9 2x10 on a V2. The V2 has the same issue where the tabs are flush mount. Several companies sell .5mm and .7mm BB spacers that you can use to shim out the drive side cup if needed for clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which 2x Chainset can fit a chain device in version 3 El Guapo?-p1020226.jpg  

Which 2x Chainset can fit a chain device in version 3 El Guapo?-p1020227.jpg  

mtbr member
    But mine already has a spacer on the drive side.

and still no clearance...

Can I put a bigger spacer? I don't think so.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    That is because Race Face uses those big fat chainring bolts on the small ring. SRAM uses a recessed bolt on their 2x10 cranks. I tried to use RF cranks on my first EG build (a V1) and it wouldnt clear any type of chainguide. I switched to SRAM and I was able to get an MRP 2X in with only 1.5mm of spacers. RF cranks are notorious for those big chainring bolts.

mtbr member
    Maybe, but they are cheap and good!
    I don't thing that if the bolts where smaller that it could fit...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mine may not be economical but I have a X0 2x crankset with MRP 2X chainguide on my EG no problems.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Mine may not be economical but I have a X0 2x crankset with MRP 2X chainguide on my EG no problems.
    Well, yes. Not quite cheap....

mtbr member

Wish Titus makes the BB wider

I just replaced the bolts in my sram, amazon has a truvativ chainring bolt kit for ~$10 shipped. Might be worth it to try, they have low profile

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    I just replaced the bolts in my sram, amazon has a truvativ chainring bolt kit for ~$10 shipped. Might be worth it to try, they have low profile
    Thanks for the tip but as you can see from the picture I posted above the inner ring is that is close to the iscg mount. It hasn't have to do with bolts.

mtbr member

I'd like to see this fixed too (w/ plenty complaints since 2010)

Next el Guapo should get 83mm bottom bracket

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had same problem using a Truvativ 3x crank set up with 2 rings and a bash guard. I think Craig has more room because the 2x crank mounts the rings further out than the 3x. I ended up taking his advice and buying a Bionicon C-guide, which has worked really well. Dropping the chain is no longer a problem, even on very rough lift-assisted downhill trails. The only issue I have had is that the Bionicon has flipped up twice (in ~9 months of riding) and the jammed the chain, last time it happened it broke the plastic mounting tabs but I was able to zip-tie it back together (it comes with an extra mount). It seems expensive for such a simple part and is a bit of a pain to install, but works really well.

Here's my old post:
    Blackspire Stinger not working on V2 El Guapo

and one on the Bionicon:
    New little gadget

mtbr member

Yes I had that problem to with the bionicon and that's why I am trying to find an alternative....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    Yes I had that problem to with the bionicon and that's why I am trying to find an alternative....
    I have just built mine up with an XT double and Blackspire Twinty 2X chain device. All fits no issues, looks great and not too expensive. See my build pics in setup thread!