Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

2007 Motolite Complete Bike Lust

I have pretty much developed an insatiable case of lust for a Motolite, but the nearest dealership is almost 200 miles, one way.

I am considering ordering from either Speedgoat, Competitive Cyclist, or BikerBob.

Anyone who has any experience they would share with me, either positive or negative, about these shops to help me decide where to order, would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions for other possibilities would also be welcome.

I'm more concerned about getting a first quality bike and meticulous, professional frame prep and partial build than I am about a few bucks in savings.

Wherever I get the bike, I'll post pics (FINALLY got a digicam ), and my impressions about the bike and the chosen shop when the deed is done.

Please hurry, I can't stand waiting any longer!

aus-10 night
    Well...I've ordered a bike from both Bob and Competitive Cyclist and have nothing but good things to say about both. See who has one available first and take it from there, you can't go wrong either way...

Off the back...
    Red Barn - great prices, fast shipping and very easy to deal with.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Red Barn - great prices, fast shipping and very easy to deal with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Since you are in a hurry (must have the bike now!!! ) I would check with each and find out what they have in stock.

You also mentioned about a partial build or substitutions on the standard complete and these guys may or may not be able to offer what you want.

I bought my Moto-lite complete from Bikerbob and was please with the service. I recommend calling him (or the other guys) and talking direct about what you want etc instead of trying to just do e-mail back and forth. They can usually get down to what you are really looking for and if they have it in stock much faster by phone than a drawn out e-mail conversation.

I got the std complete - size large with 100mm stem and X-9 rear der substitution

Good luck with the new bike and I understand the Lust you have (see my complete below)

titus bike 1.jpg
    Chet

"Its All Good"
    You are making a good choice. I have just had 5 days on my ML, it still puts a grin amile wide on my face... A truly great frame that can do so much, still spins me out...

I got my frame from BikerBob. he was great. One thing I found with Bob that was awesome on this day and age was, Bob knew I was looking and came and said hey, have you thought whom you will purchase from, and said I would love to supply you are ExoGrid ML. I was hooked, the guy is a gentleman..

Have dealt also with Larry and Chad.

The 3 mentioned for me, rate HUGELY...

Good luck, pics are needed...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

aus-10 night
    Gotta give props where they are deserved though. I called Competitive Cyclist on Monday and had a fully built RX at my door on Thursday of the same week.

You can't go wrong either way

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by germ
    Gotta give props where they are deserved though. I called Competitive Cyclist on Monday and had a fully built RX at my door on Thursday of the same week.

You can't go wrong either way
    Now germ, thats where its at, how cool, Monday hungry for an RX, Thursday eating. Awesome to hear those stories...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sweet Chet!

It was someone else who mentioned wanting to change some of the parts.

I know about wanting sweet, jewel-like bits and pieces on bikes, and I'm not immune to envy when I see some of the amazingly sweet bikes people build.

Personally, though, I tend to buy what I believe will give me the most bang for my buck, rather than the pricey, cutting edge stuff. Which is why I'm attracted to the ML complete deal to begin with.

I'm old, slow, and weak and I just ride for fun and fitness anyway, so, though I appreciate quality, I don't really need the fast and light stuff.

Thanks for the input, all, and keep it coming! I'll make some calls and place my order in the next day or two.
    Last edited by Twister; 06-19-2007 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member

Biker Bob

I think that Biker Bob is the best!! I did do a lot of calling around and had some concerns about being a middle aged clydsdale. Biker Bob took the time to work with me and set up the perfect bike for me, then when I had to move, he waited patiently for me to get settled and will send me the bike in the next two weeks.

He certainly knows his business and will take the time to work with you to get your bike perfect....like a 10.5+

mtbr member

New ML

BikerBob is your Guy !!!
    and Im sure he will swap bits in out as needed
    Hes great and sends me stuff all the way to New Zealand !

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Twister, ML is a great bike.

I would look towards the company that will talk things through with you... not just take your money and send you one (nothing wrong with that). What I mean is you need to talk with bikeshop people to make sure your present riding needs are covered and the immediate future. This will save you from spending heaps of money later with "upgrades". A dealer that would change out a few parts to make the right bike for you is worth their weight in Titanium.

mtbr member
    I dealt with BikerBob and it was truly a good experience. Bob is very interested in getting people on the right Titus. I second the recommendation to call and talk to him directly. He also worked through a couple of part swaps with me post-delivery.

BTW, the Motolite is a great choice. The "Complete" is the way to get into the Titus family at a reasonable price.

BikerBob

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow! I've been exchanging email with a few of the shops in the thread, and they all seem to be sincere and commited to providing great service.

Now I'll feel guilty having to choose one over the others!

I guess this is a good example of why competition is a good thing.

I appreciate the notion that Biker Bob is willing to swap parts around. He has a great reputation. I'm not real certain why I'd want to though, given the standard ML stuff is pretty good to begin with.

Question: How do the "mail order" shops handle the issue of trimming steerer tubes?

It would be a huge drag to get it irrevocably wrong. Do they just leave it at standard length and let the customer have it trimmed locally or do they have a magic formula that gets it right every time?

Also, what a great resource this forum is. There are so many people here who share info and advice, just for the price of asking. It's terrific!
    Last edited by Twister; 06-19-2007 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Twister

Question: How do the "mail order" shops handle the issue of trimming steerer tubes?

It would be a huge drag to get it irrevocably wrong. Do they just leave it at standard length and let the customer have it trimmed locally or do they have a magic formula that gets it right every time?

Also, what a great resource this forum is. There are so many people here who share info and advice, just for the price of asking. It's terrific!
    If it's from factory, then you get what you get. If you order the correct frame size (headtube length vary with frame size), there should be enough steerer tube left with extra spacers and you would most likely need to take one or two out. If you need lot's of steerer tube then you need to contact the dealer you will order from and discuss cockpit setup needs straight away.

Pick the dealer you feel comfortable with and can get the setup you feel is best for your needs. I wouldn't get too concerned about exact prices.

mtbr member
    Regarding the steerer tube, BikerBob left mine long with a lot of spacers under the stem. I just moved some to the top to lower the stem. I finally settled on a stem height and need to get the steerer trim and the spacers above the stem removed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Have the dealer leave the stem a little long and provide spacers. That way you can adjust the stem up or down by moving the spacers above or below the stem to get it the way you want it. It is easy to trim down the steerer tube when you get it the way you want it but it hard to make it longer.

I sat on a ML before I bought one and kind of figured out what stem length I wanted to start with. Measuring the seat to handlebar length on your existing bike is a good starting point and then the dealer can put on a stem that is close to what you need (a good dealer will work with your provided info and get you as close a fit as he can long distance). If you need to go shorter or longer on a stem later you can usually work with your dealer or a LBS to swap out for a different stem.

The X-9 rear der upgrade was not much $ and I thought is was good "bang for the buck" which is also why I bought a ML complete. I also bought a lizzard skin chainstay protector and a spare derailer hanger with the bike (might as well get that stuff at the same time).

My ML complete came with a RP23 shock standard which is nice.
    Chet

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Twister
    Wow! I've been exchanging email with a few of the shops in the thread, and they all seem to be sincere and commited to providing great service.

Now I'll feel guilty having to choose one over the others!

I guess this is a good example of why competition is a good thing.

I appreciate the notion that Biker Bob is willing to swap parts around. He has a great reputation. I'm not real certain why I'd want to though, given the standard ML stuff is pretty good to begin with.

Its a good problem to have, Bob, Troy and Chad are all first class to deal with. They are the real deal, seldom seen in this day and age.........

As always, thats what this big family is about, you will be helping others before you know it, remember that....

Get the steerer slightly longer as people have mentioned, you cna then play around with the stack, the fine tuning can make or break a comfy steed. It will not be hard to get the steerer trimmed once you settle for the correct height...

Enjoy the journey gettign the new ML, please post the team pictures when it arrives....

Ti is addictive
    Chad, Bob, Eric, and Charles are all first rate bike retailers..........you cannot go wrong with any of them. Personally I deal with Chad, but I have talked with the other three and as everyone has stated they all seem to go that extra mile for their customers. My view would be pick the one who will do the swap outs or parts that you want and who has the frame available the fastest.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    bye
    Last edited by Twister; 06-21-2007 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member

Say What ???

Sorry buddy but youve lost me ...
    Good luck with whatever you buy and ride .....

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mw04snow
    Sorry buddy but youve lost me ...
    Good luck with whatever you buy and ride .....

Allow me to help you out... in other words....

banned
    Dude, if you are saying that you don't want a ML because of what some others are saying in other threads then you will probably end up buying a Segway because all of these forums are open to true mountain bikers that sometimes have disagreements with each other. But to write off a particular bike because of this is ludicrous. I assure you that the kindness shown to you by members on this forum is genuine. The 3 retailers mentioned do a great service for the Titus family. Not only will they let you buy a bike (notice I did not say, "sell you a bike".) They also help keep your lbs honest. I don't understand how someone on these threads could get you to change your mind about a certain bike or company. If so then you are missing out on the best FS bike design on the market. But, maybe a ML isn't for you. I'm sure there is a Segway Bob that can help you with that purchase!

mtbr member
    Nice one eddie

banned
    I think it's well deserved.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast