el-santito

Idea! 2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress

I recently picked up a nice '04 RX frame, and thought all I needed to do was just slap on components, and ride! Was I wrong… This is the first time I post progression threads so bear with me.

The Short Story:
    The frame had a few oxidation spots near where the brake line runs, so I decided to sand, fix, and paint the spots. A few beers later, I had sanded down so much, I thought it was best to prep the entire body and repaint to my liking! The frame was white, but I always wanted a blue RX. So the frame has been totally disassembled to the core. The rear parts (seat/chain stays) will be polished to their original luster, and all bearings will be replaced!

Pictures will be posted as the project develops. This is the first Titus I have owned, so I would appreciate any pointers from you knowledgeable folks in the MTBR world.

Thanks!
    el Santito
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-rx_1.jpg  

2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-rx_7.jpg  

Going down hill is easier...

el-santito
    So, I thought about recycling components from others bikes I have, but decided to go with SRAM derailleurs /shifters, as I have always used Shimano components, and it was time for change. I went with SRAM X9 components, after much reading here and there, and the main factor: $$$ as opposed to the SRAM X0's.
    I picked up a used '06 Fox Fork 100 RTL, that I stripped, and is now painted in satin black finish (first I painted it Metallic gray, but it clashed w/ the Metallic Blue of the frame, so Black it was.) It will get an overhaul, with new seals, oil, and the satisfaction of knowing I did it. Found a great link for this task:
    F100RLC/F80RLC

Will follow up w/ the "components list" next time!

el-santito

Idea!

Help!

Has anyone removed the bearings at the main pivot? any home made tools used or "real' tools?

Removing bearings from the other parts was a easy, not the case with the bearings at the pivot point.

FYI: The rear triangle has been removed, I just don't have a picture of the part in question w/o the chainstay.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-rx_pivot.jpg  

el-santito
    Great! just was I needed to know. Thanks! DeerhillJDOG

I think I will take some pictures, when I knock the bearings out!
    "show & Tell" time.

ಠ_ಠ
    pretty sure that's a 2005 model.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elsantito View Post
    Great! just was I needed to know. Thanks! DeerhillJDOG

I think I will take some pictures, when I knock the bearings out!
    "show & Tell" time.
    Recently finished a similar project, but didn't document the process.. lets see your refinishing skills!

el-santito

Model Year...

Hmmm!? After reading further on various post in regards to the seat post size going from 31.6 to 30.9 on the 2006's I seriously doubt this frame is a 2004 or a 2005? It uses the 30.9 seat post. Is there any way to tell what year this frame was built in? I'm a GT Zaskar user, and w/ the Zaskars it was easy to know the build info... Anyone?

Oh well, I have most of the parts on my "wish" list for this model. I'm just waiting on the bearing kit replacement to arrive. So hopefully this Saturday, I'll start the fun part of rebuilding the rear triangle or the fork itself. The front part needs to dry from the clear coating applied.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I recently replaced the bearings on my 08 racer x carbon and please becarefull if your trying to punch out the bearings out of the carbon rocker arm. I tried this and split the rocker arm. Luckily Titus had some extras (just as they reopened their doors for business). I lucked out big time. After that happened, I went to the bike store to have them push out the rest of the bearings. I got all my bearings from enduro and have been really happy with my rebuild. I'm also eager to see your pictures of the final look of the frame. I did the same strip, sand, and polish to a specialized epic 2003. It was all black I stripped it down to polished aluminum. It was pretty cool looking and received lots of compliments. But I sold it since I got my titus. Good luck. Oh yeah, my seatpost size is a 30.9 and its an 08.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hmmm!? After reading further on various post in regards to the seat post size going from 31.6 to 30.9 on the 2006's I seriously doubt this frame is a 2004 or a 2005? It uses the 30.9 seat post. Is there any way to tell what year this frame was built in? I'm a GT Zaskar user, and w/ the Zaskars it was easy to know the build info... Anyone?

Oh well, I have most of the parts on my "wish" list for this model. I'm just waiting on the bearing kit replacement to arrive. So hopefully this Saturday, I'll start the fun part of rebuilding the rear triangle or the fork itself. The front part needs to dry from the clear coating applied.

Thanks!
    From the graphics, it seems to be a 2005.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

el-santito

Removal of Pivot Bearings

I extracted them w/ a home made tool, made w/ an M8 x 50mm bolt with round washers the size of the 698 bearing, 2x 3/4" washers, 2x M8 nuts, and a 11/16 socket. it was the bearings at the pivot point that were giving me a headache, until recently w/ DeerhillJDOG's links.

I also bought the kit from Enduro - waiting with bated breath, might arrive tomorrow!

Cheers! time to enjoy my Pinkus Alt...

so here are some pictures of the task of removing the bearings at the main pivot...

Note: It's a recreation of the process... by the time I had taken 1/2 the bearings, I remembered I needed to take pictures.

picture #1 - lubricating the bearings to be extracted (tapped out)
    picture #2 - a couple of blows in a up/down/left/right pattern
    picture #3 - the bearing (2/4 in one piece)
    picture #4 - damaged goods (they had to come out sometime. Just be careful not to damage the inside and the spacer (on picture #4)
    note: the last bearing was the stubborn one to come out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-dsc_0178.jpg  

2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-dsc_0181.jpg  

2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-dsc_0183.jpg  

2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-dsc_0185.jpg  

Last edited by elsantito; 11-01-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: adding pictures

el-santito
    Thanks Shiggy! I saw your latest video on bearings...

When the new graphics are set on the revamped frame no one will know... I bought a RX decal set from the "new" Titus website.

One thing for sure... this project is getting expensive!
    Last edited by elsantito; 11-01-2011 at 11:52 PM.

el-santito

el-santito
    Hello Folks,

I was in the process of rebuilding it... Finally!!!!, And yet again I was confronted with Murphy's law! something will be missing, when assembling, in this case; the Horst linkage w/ new bushings. When I was tighting the second bolt, I found out the nut had come off, and was nowhere to be found. I think it came off during the buffing (3 weeks ago) and didn't notice it until I tried to tighten the bolt.

I know after all is said and done 4 years from now, I will find that missing part in a place I never searched for...

I don't want to use just another nut for this, but maybe that will be the option.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

el-santito

The missing nut...

here's a picture of the missing nut, which in fact is driving me nuts, not finding it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-11262011499.jpg  

Dozer
    I stripped mine last year. BikerBob hooked me up for just a few dollars.

el-santito
    Thanks for the info yeahdog31. I contacted Mr Shiggy on this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    I stripped mine last year. BikerBob hooked me up for just a few dollars.
    yeahdog,
    How did you replace yours?
    Pem nuts are tough to install correctly. I have been trying to work out a "home shop" method.
    mtbtires.com

Thanks for the info yeahdog31. I contacted Mr Shiggy on this.
    elsantito,

Shoot me an email to tech@titusti.com
    I can send you a couple of Pem nuts.
    mtbtires.com

el-santito
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    yeahdog,
    How did you replace yours?
    Pem nuts are tough to install correctly. I have been trying to work out a "home shop" method.
    Good question! share the know-how, I would be thankful too.

Dozer
    My mistake -- I did not replace the pem nuts. Just the Horst Link bolts. Sorry for the confusion.

el-santito
    Pem Nuts are something else....

el-santito
    Happy New Year!

I finally installed the missing pem nut. I thought it was going to be much harder, but maybe I lucked out. I video taped the procedure but the video sucks! I think I will write the instructions (steps) I followed, and post.

I would like to thank Shiggy for helping me out with the pem nuts, and spacers that came very handy in the installation process. Shiggy: I lost the drawing you sent w/ the pem nuts but the steps I followed were similar to your directions -I think.

The rear portion is placed and bolts need to be tightened to torque specs... and of course install the rest of the goodies.

I'm beginning to feel the joy of the New Year.

More to follow...

el-santito
    The Goodies...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Racer X project... Doc's Rx for stress-parts.jpg