GMM
    mtbr member

07 Talas RLC for a RX-100?

I am curious as to whether anyone here has any experience or thoughts about running an '07 Talas RLC on a Racer X-100 (actually a HH 100). My frame size is a 23.5" TT if that matters.

I am currently running a Fox 100X, which I like quite a bit, but would like the option of flipping from 100 to 120 travel occassionally, and maybe even 140 for real steep decents. I don't really feel the need for more travel but rather am interested in slackening the head angle on the bike so I don't feel like I am going to go over the bars on steep decents. The bike's handling is as quick as I would ever want at 100 so I don't think the extra 20mm will hurt it that much.

My decision is really going to be performance driven versus cost driven.

Thoughts...alternative forks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I say you should go for it
    I'm a fan of slack though....

If weight does not bother you, it seems like a great idea.

I'm running more travel in my forks than the rear on my motolite. It's a great feeling downhill !!

And.... the TALAS will be stiff as an old boot when you bring it back to 100mm travel, and your front end will feel super stiff and track excellent !

You may even find you will be cruising at 120 travel more than you think .

I think you choose a great fork. The 20mm travel lever will make it so easy for you to operate.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Thanks All Mountain. What set-up do you run?

Do It Yourself
    I had the same frame with several forks: Float, Vanilla, Minute 1:00, TALAS, and finally PUSHed TALAS. The HH gets really floppy above 115mm or so. I rode mine with up to 130mm and you can ride it straight but turning is difficult. I think at 140mm, you would practically fall right over. Maybe consider a Reba (85-115mm) or Revelation U-Turn (100-130mm). They are more adjustable than the TALAS, much less expensive, and in a more reasonable travel range. I prefer my current Revelation to any of the above forks. If you really want more travel, you should possibly consider a different frame.
    Long Live Long Rides

GMM
    mtbr member
    My understanding is the Talas has finite adjustments (100-120-140).

Do you really feel 120 mm as opposed to 115 mm would be problematic. Most of the time I would be in 100 mm mode, but would like the ability to adjust before the steeper decents. For fast single track, even rocky trails, etc, I would still be in 100mm mode.

A Different frame, hmmm, maybe a Blur LT (but that's for another board). I really do love the HH 90% of the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would recommend getting an 06 TALAS or a RS Reba. The RX 100 gets real sloppy around 115. The Reba travel goes up to 115. I currently run a Reba on my RX 100. I think an 07 TALAS would be somewhat of waste.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    [SIZE="3"]Dood, don't listen to those lycra posers ..... slack ain't scary and floppy is a subjective term. I run an 06 All Mountain 1 on my motolite set at 145 travel. HA is 67.5 degrees and I can outclimb hardtail racer geeks in the steeps. Proven in two night rides in a row. Even hunt them down in the tight singletrak and I ain't no hero on a bike either. I'm outta shape and my skillz are as bad as me english.. There is nothing worse than listening to naysayers say you can't do something. You can do it! You do however need to carefully understand what someone is trying to tell you and where they are coming from. There concerns may not be applicable to you, or there may be another way of going about to make it work. The HA of the RX set at 140mm travel on the short TALAS (it's only 510mm tall at 140 travel!!) will only be 69.25 degrees and a groovy 70.25 degrees with 120 travel (this assumes designed for a 100mm fork) ** Attention has to be paid if other posters have had one designed for 80mm fork or you are considering one for 80mm fork**. Seat tube angles will still allow good power transfer. Carefull attention is to be paid to cockpit setup, seat set-up at slacker angles, and shock set-up. I can give you suggestions which I got from another slack lov'n intuitive mtbr member in this forum.[/SIZE]

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    My understanding is the Talas has finite adjustments (100-120-140).

Do you really feel 120 mm as opposed to 115 mm would be problematic. Most of the time I would be in 100 mm mode, but would like the ability to adjust before the steeper decents. For fast single track, even rocky trails, etc, I would still be in 100mm mode.

A Different frame, hmmm, maybe a Blur LT (but that's for another board). I really do love the HH 90% of the time.
    Don't go Blur... theres a ML if you want more travel, lol!

Ok, kidding asside (well, not that much kidding), I like the 3-settings only on the new Talas rather than the clic-clic-clic on the older Talas, Reba or Revelation.

I had a 06 Talas R, and replaced it with a RS Revelation on a Moto Lite. I prefer the Revelation, I think it has a nicer pedaling platform than the Talas R, and it's very adjustable. To be honest, I don't know how the Talas RLC works, so I can only say that I prefer the Revelation over the Talas R. I would think that a Reba is the fork I would use on the RX-100 (but that's my opinion). But if you like the Talas I don't think you shouldn't.

the 36 year old grom
    I got a buddy that runs a 07 talas on an yeti ASR. it replaced a reba.... now its not a hammer head, but a similar concept. The morel of the story is that the bike works best in ~100mm. the only time the extra travel is going to be usefull is pointing straight down hill. which can acctually be worth it, if you don't want to endo,

so make sure you get a fork that works perfect at the reduced travel setting. a good example of what not to get was my Manitou firefly. In the lower travel position it is stiff as a board (thanks krispy). so the reduced travel position was only usefull for climbing. this would be bad for you, as you will probably want to run in 100mm most of the time. talas works good in any travel position. I think the reba works just as good in any position, except I found it too flex at 115mm, but "usable" at 100mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    I got a buddy that runs a 07 talas on an yeti ASR. it replaced a reba.... now its not a hammer head, but a similar concept. The morel of the story is that the bike works best in ~100mm. the only time the extra travel is going to be usefull is pointing straight down hill. which can acctually be worth it, if you don't want to endo,
    Funny, I've got a 130mm fox fork on my hardtail designed for a 100mm fork . It climbs better, tracks better in the singletrack, and obviously descends better with the 130 fork (cockpit adjustments were required). Maybe I just got lucky on two bikes with large travel forks... I dunno ... I know two other riders in the area who have put taller forks than the norm of society dictates and they don't complain. Then again they ain't racers... but they can still hammer .

EDIT: I forget about maximum travel restriction manufacturer's place on frames . I don't know what Titus states for the RX . I set my fork on the motolite at 145 because that's the maximum Titus recommends. My hardtail is not rated past 100mm, but is well out of warranty and I use at my own risk . STICK WITH WHAT TITUS RECOMENDS.
    Last edited by All Mountain; 11-22-2006 at 04:18 PM.

GMM
    mtbr member
    All good info everyone. I have decided nothing, but am now thoroughly informed!

mtbr member
    Hey GMM,

I own a HH100x as well and still love it eventhough I also got a new Intense 6.6 this year. I have an '04 Pushed Talas on the front and really like it. The HH frame/geometry is really sensitive to small changes in travel/ac/ha. I run mine at 100 much of the time but will crank in up to 107mm or 112 with rougher, bumpier stuff frequently (if there's still a lot of turns) and occasionally will go has high as 115-118 if it's primarily fast, bumpy, steep, and relatively straight. I've never found use for 125 mm on the HH. Like Homebrew says it gets pretty floppy.

I love the razer sharp handling of the HH so I don't like to spoil that with too much travel but it is nice to be able to micro adjust it for varying situations. If you can't do that with the '07 TALAS I'd pass.