K n e e m o i

06 RX Aluminum to 07 RX Carbon

I am thinking about upgrading to 07RX Carbon. I have the 06 aluminum version right now, and it is a great bike, but as we are humans, I want something lighter.... (And I am single, working 50 hrs a week with post relationship status, so........)

I do race every season, (XC) and I hit the trails every weekend, putting in about 20 miles per day. (40 per weekend) I do XC riding a lot.

I just love the way the RX climbs, and I love the current geometry, so I don't think Yeti ASR-SLC is the answer. I test rode it, and it just didn't feel right. Yeti is an awesome bike, but not for me......

I think that the only thing I would notice is the weight. I don't think I'd notice ride differences being a FS bike between aluminum and carbon.....

So let's hear it, what are your opinions.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

the 36 year old grom
    I don't think its all that much lighter. the yeti has an edge on that department.... I didn't ride one but a friend did... and it rocked his world. I think you realy need to focus on the change in the ride quality. I hear the same things about the new carbon stumpys. they are stiffer and handle better.

find one and ride one. I'd love the here your opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Aluminium is history... time for you to move on.

Why not look into Exogrid Custom ?~?~? who knows ....

I believe you will definitely notice the difference between Alu and Carbon. I certainly noticed it just from switching to carbon handlebars... and was even more apparent after going back to Alu bars because dulyebr is a scaremonger.

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!

I'd go Exo

I'm with All Mt....I've never ridden a carbon frame but I would guess it's pretty damn stiff...as in not very compliant. The thing about Ti is that is has some softness to the flex that makes it a joy. I have a Seven Sola that absolutely rocks on buff stuff. The power delivery is instant but it has a soft feel to the ride. When I transition from that to my Racer-Exo it's like pure heaven. The Exo is soooo quiet compared even to the Sola. When I say quiet, I mean NO vibration in the frame. I can't explain it to you but the Exo-grid RX is one the finest riding frames I have ever been on....and believe me, I've been on a bunch.

I'd say if you were gonna spend the bucks for the Carbon RX, you ought to think about a wee bit extra and go for the Exogrid. It may not be quite as light (my RExo is 25lbs with a Reba Team) but the ride will make you forget the extra pound or two.

Also, Carbon can be broken (dinged, splintered, etc), think about that when you visualize going down in a rock garden. Ti will hold up better to rugged riding in my opinion.
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just don't see the appeal of the RX Carbon. It's marginally lighter than the ALuminum (I can make up the weight difference with different chains). I think AL is a better material for a Mtn Bike. Carbon just isn't confidence inspiring on a mountain bike. Basically I see Similar weight, more expense, more fragile. Where's the upside other than rareness?
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Good job! Carbon rocks

I never rode the alu. version, but I can tell you that I LOVE my carbon RX. It will be about 100gm lighter than the alu. version, and I think the best place to save weight on a bike is on a part you don't wear out and replace regularly . Also, on an FS bike, rigidity is a GOOD thing, and I can't imagine the alu. version being as stiff in the front end as the big plastic box I'm riding.
    campmor.com

new york/new jersey xc race series:
    http://www.campmor.com/html/h2h.shtml

K n e e m o i
    hmm...maybe upgrade isn't really worth it..... unless someone rode both carbon and alu RX and can tell me the differences they felt........my lbs don't have one on demo yet.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi