Az HS Cycling League

'04 Quasi + Marz 66 = too much?

I am seriously considering a Marzocchi 66 Light ETA for my '04 Quasi. I have made few trips to the downhill area here in AZ (Sunrise Park) and would like to add a little more fork than my current Pike. The Quasi feels really nice all around with the Pike. I have ridden it on many different types of terrain (up and down) with out complaint. It is not a light setup but it has worked nicely for me. Is the Marzocchi too much fork for the Quasi? At170 mm will it create an unbalanced feel? I am hoping the slackening of the head angle will be a positive change for the downhill type riding. I realize this is not the optimum frame based upon all the new ~7" travel frames out there (Supermoto) but I would like to try this. Thanks for your input.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League in 2013
    www.arizonamtb.org

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I really like the 66light eta and am runing one on my supermoto, but think it would be a mismatch on a quasi unless you just wanted to put it on for shuttle days only. This fork continues to amaze me the way it tracks the trail and sucks up the big hits. That said, it is a tall single crown and is a beast to climb with, even with eta. In comparison the pike 454 that is on my la bruja is more of a long travel trail fork but it balances out well being 6inches front and back. The 66 would make this bike way too slack, but I just ordered a z1light eta which is about an inch taller than the pike and a little more stout, and I hope that the valving is similar to the 66. I would think the z1 would match up well with quasi.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    the 6" Z1 / Z150 is 538mm axle-to-crown.

The 2006 66 forks are like 552mm. So like 3/4" taller. You might consider the 66SL which features travel adjust via negative air spring pressure. EO has one and seems to like it a lot.