mtbr member
    Mar 2004

02 Switchblade shock options

I have a 2002 SB with the standard rockers. I run it it in the 4.5" position. I am looking into a new rear shock, the stock Fox RC is starting to lose air between rides. The shock is 6.5x1.5. My question is whether the new RP23 will fit or is there a better option? I don't know if Fox still has repair parts for a 5 year old shock. Has anyone had Push work on a shock that old? Thanks for the help.

Gary

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Gary, have a look at this shock. The price is right and the size is right

There is a few recent threads on it here and here

bab
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Gary, I have an 02 blade and am fiddling with the shock right now. Jim Glose at Titus said that the 6.5x1.5 RP23 is a fit for my frame and it seems to be a pretty good shock.

My old RC is starting to lose air too so I'm in the market for an upgrade but I keep looking at newer frames and wondering if it's worth investing in what I've got. If I decide to stick with my current frame I'll certainly be going RP23.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've got an 2002 SB with the original Fox RC that was sent to PUSH this spring. They did an awsome job rebuilding the shock. I weigh 240-250lbs with gear and the difference is night and day. It's cheaper than a new RP23 ( I was on a budget, damn kids ) plus the shock is rebuilt to YOUR weight and YOUR riding style, not some 160lb cross country rider. Something to think about.

Do It Yourself
    While the RP23 is a fine shock, I'm not sure a 5+ year old bike is worth investing top dollar to keep it going. I would highly suggest sending it to PUSH. They can definitely work an 02 Float since that was the first shock I had done by them. It's the best inexpensive upgrade you can do for your ride.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2002 Pushed

I have a Titus SB and had my Float Pushed. Before I sent it to them it never used full shock travel 1.5" and on a 3:1 type frame like we have only using a 1" and 1/8 equate to 3 and 3/8 rear wheel travel when I should be getting 4.5" There are many threads about air shocks not using full travel on this site. Also note that Push sells a High Volume sleeve that promises full travel once installed. Won't fit your Float though.
    So anyhow, got the shock back from Push and it performed much, much better and they did what they promised. What they didn't promise was full travel. I still get 1 and 1/8 to maybe 1 and 1/4 with all different air settings.
    I recently tried a Cane Creek AD12 but be careful it didn't fit and I had to send it back. When Titus designed the frame I think it was designed around the 2002 Float and they didn't leave much room for anything else. I might try the RP23 just because Fox says it has a high volume sleeve now, not as big as Push's though and Titus said it would fit as mentioned above.