Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

$999 for v3 El Gaupo

I just got an e-mail from Planet-x about a frame deal for this weekend only. El Gaupo's V3 for $999.99 with a shock. I tried to order one, but when you check out it wants to charge you $1199. (see post #3) I left a phone message at Portland, but i hope the deal goes thru after this weekend. Check it out.
    Last edited by doralswheels; 07-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    I went ahead and ordered mine. Medium in white, figure they can sort the 200$ back to me later for a deal like that.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    I just got an e-mail from Planet-x about a frame deal for this weekend only. El Gaupo's V3 for $999.99 with a shock. I tried to order one, but when you check out it wants to charge you $1199. I left a phone message at Portland, but i hope the deal goes thru after this weekend. Check it out.
    Michael just e-mailed me and the problem is fixed. $999. Well, thats number 7 Titus bike that i will have. Can't wait to ride a little more travel.

mtbr member
    Going to be kind of odd having two EG's in the garage but I figure that way I'll always be on the right bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Going to be kind of odd having two EG's in the garage but I figure that way I'll always be on the right bike
    What model is your other Titus?

mtbr member
    Michael just e-mailed me and the problem is fixed. $999. Well, thats number 7 Titus bike that i will have. Can't wait to ride a little more travel.
    Oh - I just replied to you too.

mtbr member
    What model is your other Titus?
    2010 El Guapo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2010 El Guapo
    WOW. You are almost as bad as me. 4 of my titus bikes are motolites, 2 ti frames, one of which is converted to 27.5 wheels, and 2 more, that are just different colors, 1 blue & 1 silver. I also have 1 ftm carbon and 1 racer x. Once my large super raw El Gaupo gets here, i want to see if it is posible to polish it up. This bike will make a total of 23 bikes in my garage.

mtbr member
    From what I understand the super raw is actually anodizing over the aluminum.

I actually have a 2010 FTM hanging in the garage too. Was the wifes but I rode it once. Also had a 2009 FTM that I mis at times but I love my EG. Just raced in Davis WV today with it and I couldn't have asked for a better bike for that place.

The plan with the new one is to make a big hit version of what I already have. I've really wanted to do more serious drops and what not (snow shoe WV) but I didn't want to kill my wheels or do any permanent damge to the rear shock on my only bike.

I've already ordered a fork (2011 totem) and the rest of the parts for what I didn't already have. I figure she might end up a bit porky but the BB clearance and fun factor should be awesome.

mtbr member
    The plan with the new one is to make a big hit version of what I already have.
    I've already ordered a fork (2011 totem)...

Oooo! I can't wait to see that one. I have been considering building something similar.

mtbr member
    From what I understand the super raw is actually anodizing over the aluminum.
    Correct

mtbr member
    Terrible...not trying to rain on your parade but a Totem is ALOT of fork for an EG. 20mm over the recommended travel. Not saying it cant handle it, I've seen it done but it really choppers out the bike. I run a 180mm Totem coil on my 170mm rear travel Delirium, its a great fork. IMO, a 170mm Lyric might be a better choice.

mtbr member
    170 lyric was 200$ more than the totem. It's the u turn version so atleast I can drop it down if I want. If nothing else ill sell it and buy a float 160. If you have any links to a cheap lyric post em up.

J:
    no E: = : )
    You'll be the first guy on here w/ MK3 who has the 2010?

Agree that Totem gonna be a party in the front

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    IMO, a 170mm Lyric might be a better choice.

I'm also thinking about to buy an EG V3 and fit it with a 170mm Bos Deville (555mm a/c). Do you think that will work? I'm a little bit concerned about the seat angle because I'll need a headset with external cups which will add some additional height.

Currently I own an Alutech Fanes which is designed for 557mm a/c forks and has a 49/56mm headtube which means you can have tapered steerer tubes with zerostack cups. This and a steep Seat angle of 74deg lets you pedal quite well.

So, regarding the EG I'm not really sure if a 170mm fork with external cups suits well....

mtbr member
    Doesn't Craig have both a 1st and 3rd gen guapo ?

Hope all the stuff gets here soon enough to get a couple weekends on it at snow shoe. I've always wanted to ride there and hope the weather holds out. I noticed that the titus website said if you order this weekend theyll get it out this week. Of course west Virginia is about as far from them as you can get

mtbr member
    No I had a 2010 and now a 2011 or V2.

J:
    Let us know how snow shoe goes.. sweet

hmm stinky totem'd out & with the 09' ss.........just sayin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osti View Post
    I'm also thinking about to buy an EG V3 and fit it with a 170mm Bos Deville (555mm a/c). Do you think that will work? I'm a little bit concerned about the seat angle because I'll need a headset with external cups which will add some additional height.

Currently I own an Alutech Fanes which is designed for 557mm a/c forks and has a 49/56mm headtube which means you can have tapered steerer tubes with zerostack cups. This and a steep Seat angle of 74deg lets you pedal quite well.

So, regarding the EG I'm not really sure if a 170mm fork with external cups suits well....
    The extra 10mm on the top tube on the V3 will help you out if you fit an inline post and move the saddle forward - this will steepen the seat angle for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    The extra 10mm on the top tube on the V3 will help you out if you fit an inline post and move the saddle forward - this will steepen the seat angle for you.
    Thanks brant. I assume you mean a straight seat post without setback? Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker

mtbr member
    Thanks brant. I assume you mean a straight seat post without setback? Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker
    Yes, that's right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, i got an e-mail today from michael and they are out of stock on the large super raw V3 frames. I think i will wait for the EG 29er and then pull the triger. Hope your orders work out ok.

mtbr member
    My email said the only medium white is coming to me. Now I hope friday gets here quick!

mtbr member
    She made it to Ohio, only one state away and I can't stand it!!!!!!

mtbr member
    earlier than expected I got my frame today

built quality looks really good. The super raw seems to be raw brushed alu and has a very even surface. Even though the CCDB Air is a little bit on the bulky side the frame with shock wheighs only 3290gr which is 7,25lbs. I am very pleased with the wheight because often the information from the manufacturers are lower than the actual wheight.

I have two other spare shocks (RP23 and Monarch+) from my other bike which also have identical mounting measures so I can easily switch the shocks and try different setups.

also the bearings look like standard parts which could be replaced easily.

I hope that the headset will arrive tomorrow so I can start building it up

mtbr member
    May 2008
    been through this with brant, raw is anodised silver (bare alloy would go dull). weight of medium with monarch is around 3035g.

only disappointment for me was the horst pivot (chainstay) are plastic bushes, expected bearings there!

and as I said elsewhere, the (forged?) rocker doesn't match the rest of frame, it's "whiter". minor niggles though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    been through this with brant, raw is anodised silver (bare alloy would go dull). weight of medium with monarch is around 3035g.
    ok, didn't know that... looked like brushed raw

only disappointment for me was the horst pivot (chainstay) are plastic bushes, expected bearings there!
    I won't say that this is a disapointment. Afaik there is a lot of stress on the horst link bearing. So, from my point of view it makes sense to have bushes there. I know a german brand which moved from bearings to bushes in that link recently and they offered their customers a free of charge replacement because it turned out that bushes work better and last a lot longer at that place. I also have access to very cheap high performance bushes in nearly any size, so for me it's no problem at all.

and as I said elsewhere, the (forged?) rocker doesn't match the rest of frame, it's "whiter". minor niggles though.
    that's right. the rocker looks a bit milky.... but goes along quite well with the frame...

I just inspected the cable routing on the top tube... wtf, are you serious? I think they could have been placed far better than they actually are. They are just in the way of the upper shock attachment....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ah good point there'll be lots of sideloading near the dropout and not much rotation. i hope those bushes are a standard size, problem with my old bike, can't get the bushes any more and not standard!

these are supposed to be improved cable guides..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ah good point there'll be lots of sideloading near the dropout and not much rotation. i hope those bushes are a standard size, problem with my old bike, can't get the bushes any more and not standard!

these are supposed to be improved cable guides..
    they are igus made bushing... can easily be order direct with igus website
    the part number for the flange type bushing is JFI-0809-04
    i got it for about 50 cent USD after my currency conversion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9 for v3 El Gaupo-igus.jpg  

mtbr member
    The cable guides look a little funky when you are running the cables, but in the end they are a non issue. Just run them inside the shock mount and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadica View Post
    they are igus made bushing... can easily be order direct with igus website
    the part number for the flange type bushing is JFI-0809-04
    i got it for about 50 cent USD after my currency conversion

Where do these go..?

mtbr member
    The cable guides look a little funky when you are running the cables, but in the end they are a non issue. Just run them inside the shock mount and you will be fine.
    +1 to that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    Where do these go..?
    these goes to the pivot at the rear axle there

mtbr member
    So do you think I have to also stock some?
    How often do we need to replace those?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Also received the raw today (building posts to create new thread).
    Last edited by rottenronny; 07-31-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    It must be El Guapo day as I received my black one today!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenronny View Post
    Also received the raw today (building posts to create new thread).
    I won't believe it till i see the pictures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    It must be El Guapo day as I received my black one today!
    Pictures please.

mtbr member
    Pictures please.
    Ask you shall receive: The dark horse...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    So do you think I have to also stock some?
    How often do we need to replace those?
    not sure mate...need feedback from other Old old owners! i just happen to order it along with other igus parts that i needed for other stuff.

but it is good to know that the bearings and bush are standard spec parts that can easily sourced. igus have offices in most of the country, getting the part and shipping would be cheaper. anyway, EG need 4 piece of the bushing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadica View Post
    not sure mate...need feedback from other Old old owners! i just happen to order it along with other igus parts that i needed for other stuff.

but it is good to know that the bearings and bush are standard spec parts that can easily sourced. igus have offices in most of the country, getting the part and shipping would be cheaper. anyway, EG need 4 piece of the bushing
    I'll get in touch with the local distributor here in Greece and I will give him the part number you gave us and see...
    It won't be a bad idea to have some waiting on the shelf...
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    so to be clear, the v3 is reamed properlay for any brand of headset? looking at one for my wife, want to know before i pull the trigger

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well i've ordered a Hope.. hope it fits (see what i did there?!) only 10 more than the on-one and should last much better.

mtbr member
    yeah, built up my EG

just a little bad spy pic with the mobile phone. Will do some nice pics tomorrow.

Inserting the headset (Acros AX-22) was no problem, plenty of space available. The cable routing wasn't that bad as I thought. You can cross the cables under the toptube to fix them. But I still have the problem that the rear derailleur cable flips off to the right side if you compress the rear suspension. Any ideas on that?

Still need to shorten the brakes hoses and steerer tube, adjust the front derailleur and attach the bionicon c.guide. I'm glad that I took the bionicon because the space between the iscg tabs and the small chainring looks really really tight.

First ride around the house was quite nice. The bikes pedals very well, 170mm forks are no problem at all. The ccdb air seems to be very progressive even with lots of sag. Have to dial in that tomorrow as well and maybe try the more linear linkage mount.
    Last edited by osti; 08-01-2012 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Love that Super RAW (Silver Ano). Nice looking build osti. My purchase finger is getting twitchy looking at this White frame. I've always wanted an El Guapo but for one reason or another, never ended up with one. $999 for V3 EG. Almost too hard to pass up.

Must...... resist.......impulse purchase.

KRob--------->Saving for a Chilcotin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9 for v3 El Gaupo-el-guapo-white.jpg  

Last edited by KRob; 08-02-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Screw the Chili KRob. Looks like the first cracked Chili got swooped away by blacked out SUV's. You can get a EG and Carbon wheels for the price of a Chili. If you pull the trigger let me know, I can help you out a little bit.

mtbr member
    Screw the Chili KRob. Looks like the first cracked Chili got swooped away by blacked out SUV's. You can get a EG and Carbon wheels for the price of a Chili. If you pull the trigger let me know, I can help you out a little bit.
    I think he removed the pic because it ended up not being a crack afterall. No sense stirring up rumors if there's nothing there.....although it looks like removing the pic only added to the rumor mill.

The Chilcotin is a brilliant bike..... but is it really 2.5 times better than the El Guapo? Very doubtful. That kind of price difference is hard to ignore.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Zip tie with other housing/hose at strategic spots..

But I still have the problem that the rear derailleur cable flips off to the right side if you compress the rear suspension. Any ideas on that?
    One is to get the cable length just right but a little inflexible if you tend to swap bars and stuff all the time.

Just built up a new one for a friend and simply skipped the outer guides on the top tube

Run the rear dee hose below and between the front dee housing and rear brake hose with zip ties (so the 3 length thy form an "inverted triangle under the tt)

Sit and see how much will bow out-- push excess to front and shift the zip ties around till they keep cable snug and not push the excess backwards when rear is compressed.

J:
    That close up photo didn't look good, must have been grime left along that edge before paint ?

made me remember the early abp Treks before they reshaped the seat tube

mtbr member

I'm sure its a great bike

Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I think he removed the pic because it ended up not being a crack afterall. No sense stirring up rumors if there's nothing there.....although it looks like removing the pic only added to the rumor mill.

The Chilcotin is a brilliant bike..... but is it really 2.5 times better than the El Guapo? Very doubtful. That kind of price difference is hard to ignore.
    I'm certain its not 2.5 times better then the EG, I'm pretty sure they are equals with the EG being a little lighter. As far as that crack goes, sure looked like a crack and with no posts from DB or Knolly, sounds like the OP got told to cover it up and they would ship him a new front triangle.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Chilcotin double upper rear triangle attachment looks stiff.. EG, if you ignore the seatube which isn't part of it, looks like it could be flexy, but not seen any complaints.. anyone comment on lateral stiffness of EG rear triangle?

also note the inset of the ISCG tabs, clearly EG has them in wrong place :/

btw EG Monarch in UK is 600 (was brieftly 540) inc. vat. so cheaper than US, for once!?
    Last edited by Smiff; 08-02-2012 at 07:08 AM.

what's that rattle?
    I took an Endo for a long demo a while ago. Rear-end stiffness seemed similar to the EG, though the Endo was using a RWS skewer vs. my Guapo's QR.

I've got to think the Chilcotin would be stiffer than the EG considering the shorter links, bigger bearings and higher weight. As to cracks, etc., that's always a risk when buying the first model year of a product.

mtbr member
    Chilcotin double upper rear triangle attachment looks stiff.. EG, if you ignore the seatube which isn't part of it, looks like it could be flexy, but not seen any complaints.. anyone comment on lateral stiffness of EG rear triangle?
    Stays designs are important for stiffness consideration
    but what seals it for me on this aspect for the EG is the simple but massive and strong 1-pc rocker. If there is a choice I will always stay away from 2 or more pieces type of links-- the more moveable parts the higher the chances of issues, be it stiffness or other areas.

10mm bolt on takes care of the rearmost end of things. Still, having said I really hope to see a 142 rear soon for the frame...

mtbr member
    King hubs and fun bolts are a nice stiff'n upper-r. Never had an issue with the rear end on mine wagging. Especially with fresh bearing in all the pivots.

mtbr member
    sounds like the OP got told to cover it up and they would ship him a new front triangle.
    Does that happen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    but what seals it for me on this aspect for the EG is the simple but massive and strong 1-pc rocker. If there is a choice I will always stay away from 2 or more pieces type of links-- the more moveable parts the higher the chances of issues, be it stiffness or other areas.

10mm bolt on takes care of the rearmost end of things. Still, having said I really hope to see a 142 rear soon for the frame...
    The wrap around rear stays help lots too. And the huge box section on the main pivot. Very solid. Bit of a mud trap but awesomely solid. And the huge formed chainstays.

The EG29 will have bolt through back end of course, but the current EG26, well, I think it's pretty solid and makes the frame very accessible to people upgrading.

mtbr member
    I'm certain its not 2.5 times better then the EG, I'm pretty sure they are equals with the EG being a little lighter. As far as that crack goes, sure looked like a crack and with no posts from DB or Knolly, sounds like the OP got told to cover it up and they would ship him a new front triangle.
    That's good customer service if that's what happened... no need to cover that up.

Is the build quality on the new EG equal to the old EG? Those where stout, well built frames with very few reports of failure. If Planet X hasn't taken any short cuts to get the price where it is, then this is a ridiculous deal. I'm totally sold on the design and it seems this latest update will be even better. Just a little nervous about quality.

You guys who've already taken delivery of v.3 El Guapo, how do they look? Welds? Paint? I know it's early to know how well they're holding up but I'm sure there are some Planet X built v.2s out there that have been ridden a bit. Stiffness and quality seem to be where it was before the buy-out?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
    As to cracks, etc., that's always a risk when buying the first model year of a product.
    Discovered 3-4 different failures on the trail in 2011, all first run stuff.. Have you seen any of the pull style Jekyll rigs?? OH MY , couldn't believe my eyes

mtbr member
    That's good customer service if that's what happened... no need to cover that up.

Is the build quality on the new EG equal to the old EG? Those where stout, well built frames with very few reports of failure. If Planet X hasn't taken any short cuts to get the price where it is, then this is a ridiculous deal. I'm totally sold on the design and it seems this latest update will be even better. Just a little nervous about quality.

You guys who've already taken delivery of v.3 El Guapo, how do they look? Welds? Paint? I know it's early to know how well they're holding up but I'm sure there are some Planet X built v.2s out there that have been ridden a bit. Stiffness and quality seem to be where it was before the buy-out?
    Same factory, tubing, bearings, processes.
    Lower price due to business model and volume.

mtbr member
    Same factory, tubing, bearings, processes.
    Lower price due to business model and volume.
    frame and deal looks great brant. i got a confirmation email from on-one that the v3 takes a standard headset and has a proper bore depth, which is the way things should be.

kinda wish i had waited and ordered myself and the wife an el guapo for the same price as i paid for my chili. as soon as scrape together the funds, the wife will be rocking a small white el guapo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    translation: most FS frames are a rip-off!
    yes part of reason i went with EG was to reuse my old (almost new) wheels and fork.. but swap-able dropouts would be even better, like on my whyte. def run a 10mm bolt through (Hope wheels + superstar skewer here).

that huge box section behind bb does look like mud trap, not sure what can be done about that, maybe some rubber stretched above it.

mtbr member
    The alleged Chili crack happened on a first run frame, second run had that weld removed which makes me think maybe some of the prototype bikes developed the same crack? Frame should have been still under warranty so no need to cover it up except that they have had a couple other issues (chainstay rub on 10 spd cassettes and the linkage shaft being too long), all minor issues on a new frame (but Renegade would have been PISSED) but negative PR on new frames cant be good so who knows? I owned a 2010 ( pre On One) and now a V.2. Quality is exactly the same maybe better because I had to send my first 2010 back because the ISCG tab was welded on so crooked it was ridiculous, my V.2 was perfectly aligned. I own a 2011 Knolly Delirium which has a 135/10 rear with 10mm bolt ons and I think the EG rear is almost just as stiff.

J:

mtbr member
    that huge box section behind bb does look like mud trap, not sure what can be done about that, maybe some rubber stretched above it.
    scrape the mud off when you stop.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Discovered 3-4 different failures on the trail in 2011, all first run stuff.. Have you seen any of the pull style Jekyll rigs?? OH MY , couldn't believe my eyes
    I had a 2008 Marzocchi fork...Never again.

The fact that On-One does model versions instead of years counts for a lot. There wasn't much on the 2010 EG that needed fixing IMO, V3 seems to be sorted except for a few cable routing issues. Evolution is fast and on point.

mtbr member
    The alleged Chili crack happened on a first run frame, second run had that weld removed which makes me think maybe some of the prototype bikes developed the same crack? Frame should have been still under warranty so no need to cover it up except that they have had a couple other issues (chainstay rub on 10 spd cassettes and the linkage shaft being too long), all minor issues on a new frame (but Renegade would have been PISSED) but negative PR on new frames cant be good so who knows? I owned a 2010 ( pre On One) and now a V.2. Quality is exactly the same maybe better because I had to send my first 2010 back because the ISCG tab was welded on so crooked it was ridiculous, my V.2 was perfectly aligned. I own a 2011 Knolly Delirium which has a 135/10 rear with 10mm bolt ons and I think the EG rear is almost just as stiff.
    I've always felt the EG rear ends were plenty stiff too. Good to hear your v.2 is looking solid and running straight.

Did you see this post on the Knolly thread, Craig?

Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    I went to the bike shop today and they thoroughly looked at bike. They informed me that it wasn't a crack. So all is good!!!!!
    But yes, they did have a few early problems on the first run that have been corrected.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    ok, just hit the trails for the first time with the EG.

just some brief impression of the first ride. The bike pedals really excellent but would wish just a little steeper seat angle for the uphills. I own another 170mm bike with an seatangle of 74 and that climbs better even though it's no problem with the EG but could be better. Head angle is quite right. The bb is really low even with a 170mm fork and external cups. I measured 34cm but no problems on the trail, just one time a pedal contact in a roots section, but that could also be my fault. Cornerning is really awesome, the bike is really active and nimble but without being nervous thanks to the slack head angle. No need for an angleset for me. Front is nicely deep so you have good pressure and grip on the front wheel. Stiffness is really good, the bikes feels rock solid and I couldn't feel any flex in the rear even with QR. Contrary to the front suspension I am still not so happy with the rear suspension setup. Although I used the linear linkage mount accordung to titusti.com the rear suspension feels very progressive. Sag is 30% and the beginning stroke is super plush but in the mid end and stroke it's quite harsh. Not sure if it's just a setup issue with the ccdb or if it's the linkage/shock progression itself. Whereas the Deville is sucking on the ground and gives a lot of control it feels that the rear suspension can't keep up. Feels like the rear is bumpy on faster speed with medium impacts. Dropping feels quite ok even though I used only 70% of the shock travel where I can bottom out other bikes. Will need more rides for setup and maybe swap the shock to compare with Monarch+ and RP23. The RP23 should be more linear itself.

edit: found several information that the ccdb air is very progressive itself. So it seems rather a shock issue. I also read that the shock is shipped with most linear air chamber volume. That means you'll be able to make it even more progressive by reducing the air chamber using the plastic rings. But no way to make it more linear

from my point of view, the ccdb air doesn't fit very well to the EG rear suspension...

One is to get the cable length just right but a little inflexible if you tend to swap bars and stuff all the time.

Just built up a new one for a friend and simply skipped the outer guides on the top tube

Run the rear dee hose below and between the front dee housing and rear brake hose with zip ties (so the 3 length thy form an "inverted triangle under the tt)

Sit and see how much will bow out-- push excess to front and shift the zip ties around till they keep cable snug and not push the excess backwards when rear is compressed.
    thnaks, I attached the rd cable with a zip tie to the end of the fd cable and now the cable doesn't bow out anymore! it just moves a little bit upwards but thats ok. Somewhere it has to move
    Last edited by osti; 08-02-2012 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    that's weird, my chili is 2nd or third run and it has the weld just like the one people thought was cracked and it seems others who aren't on 1st run frames have that weld too.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    that's weird, my chili is 2nd or third run and it has the weld just like the one people thought was cracked and it seems others who aren't on 1st run frames have that weld too.
    May be just differences between sizes and/or new revisions where there's no need for the extra beads? I seen pic's of the small EG seat stays on here where it had one row of welds on seat stay rocker tabs, and older 2010 large had two rows.. just a guess
    Last edited by J:; 08-02-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Outcast
    all minor issues on a new frame (but Renegade would have been PISSED) .
    Sure I would have; if I spend money on a product, and it's not right, I get upset. Craig, where is your border line? How much do you have to spend, and the product is not as advertised, before you get pissed off? Or are you such a kiss a s s that you have no line, and no shame?

I'm so happy that I now piss you off so much that you use me a a reference point in your posts. Thank you!

Outcast
    Originally Posted by craigstr

sounds like the OP got told to cover it up and they would ship him a new front triangle.

Does that happen?
    You should know Brant, about covering up stuff, keeping it low, down playing it. Learned the lesson yet?

mtbr member
    The wrap around rear stays help lots too. And the huge box section on the main pivot. Very solid. Bit of a mud trap but awesomely solid. And the huge formed chainstays.

The EG29 will have bolt through back end of course, but the current EG26, well, I think it's pretty solid and makes the frame very accessible to people upgrading.
    Oh those certainly have to pass first muster... else wouldnt have considered the frame back then

Mud trap-- Rubber flap from old inner tied to bottom of seat post takes care of the mud/sand buildup on rides...

Ok I hear you on the rearend
    Just my hunch that a really stiff rear would bring out the HL more positively. Ok this is just an armchair biker non-engineering deduction. But you can be sure there is no shortage from the Volunteer EG Testers Brigade if there are some prototypes hiding in the shed though
    Last edited by anvil_den; 08-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member

I've got no issue with you

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Sure I would have; if I spend money on a product, and it's not right, I get upset. Craig, where is your border line? How much do you have to spend, and the product is not as advertised, before you get pissed off? Or are you such a kiss a s s that you have no line, and no shame?

I'm so happy that I now piss you off so much that you use me a a reference point in your posts. Thank you!
    I wont stoop as low as you and resort to internet name calling. So many companies out there making so many products, there will be some mistakes and manufacturing errors. Look at all the frames that break in the first year of use. Evil, Banshee, Chumba (bad example I know), Scott, Yeti, they all have one issue or another. We are human and humans are not perfect. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks you went overboard on your criticism of Titus and Brant. I'm not a kiss ass, but I do support the products that I believe in and the companies that help me out, even if they make mistakes. If life gives me lemons, I make lemonade, that is the difference between you and me.

mtbr member
    I wont stoop as low as you and resort to internet name calling.
    you kind of have a short memory. here's you calling me a "troll" when i had some issues on the knolly forum and you calling someone who neg repped you a "loser" in that same thread.

AND you gave me neg reps, at least you signed it though, you know I hate that. The knolly forum used to be such a nice place until all the trolls from other forums (mainly Turner) came over with interest in the Chili. We used to pride ourselves on the lack of BS, but that is all gone now thanks to the likes of you and your troll buddies.

Quick thanks to all those that left me positive reps, I appreciate it. Special shout out to Qbert for the neg reps and not so kind comments. Also the anonymous neg rep guy who thinks I'm more annoying then Qbert, you should fess up and quit back-stabbing you loser.! I'm done now.

funny you saying you don't name call and in that other thread where you got mad for someone telling you what to do when that's what you do all the time, play dad on the forums when people voice an opinion different from yours. i don't blame people for being pissed about that headset issue

mtbr member

edit: found several information that the ccdb air is very progressive itself. So it seems rather a shock issue. I also read that the shock is shipped with most linear air chamber volume. That means you'll be able to make it even more progressive by reducing the air chamber using the plastic rings. But no way to make it more linear

from my point of view, the ccdb air doesn't fit very well to the EG rear suspension...
    Just replaced the ccdba with a Monarch+

the difference is incredible. With fewer Sag the whole travel is way more linear. It feels really like a 6" travel bike now.

Would be interesting what other ccdba users will report.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    wow, glad i saved 200 on the Monarch haha. but Shirley you've just set the CCDB up wrong? lots of adjustments on that bad boy.

mtbr member
    Yes, think Monarch is the better choice. Don't think that it's set up wrong. The progression is mainly an air chamber issue and the ccdba is known to be very progressive. Cane creek even calls it a feature.

mtbr member
    Qbert, I was just stating a fact by calling you a troll, you trolled this thread and jumped into a discussion that didnt even involve you. Is that all you do is look for arguements to jump into? I'm done with voicing my opinions here on the forums, from now on its just bike talk, way too many haters in this world.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keep civil people I mostly lurk but I love all the posts with builds, technical comments and the videos from Craigstr. There are some really good posters here like terrible, anvil and plenty more with a lot of knowledge.

If some are unhappy with a product its normal not everyone will have the same experience, I had a bad experience but Im still looking forward to owning a Titus, unfortunately like most companies the focus is shifting to 29ers. EG looks like a damn good frame but I simply dont have the kind of terrain nearby to use one.

mtbr member
    Thanks Liternit, feels good to be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Qbert, I was just stating a fact by calling you a troll, you trolled this thread and jumped into a discussion that didnt even involve you. Is that all you do is look for arguements to jump into? I'm done with voicing my opinions here on the forums, from now on its just bike talk, way too many haters in this world.
    and like most people who neg rep you for being a company shill and whiner. i was just stating a fact you are a hypocrite. no big deal, people here are allowed to voice their opinions e=evn when they are negative. stay happy sunshine

mtbr member
    Have a wonderful day Qbert.

mtbr member
    Have a wonderful day Qbert.
    you already made my day criagstr

mtbr member
    And you mine Qbert.

J:

sweet photos

ok, just hit the trails for the first time with the EG.

just some brief impression of the first ride. The bike pedals really excellent but would wish just a little steeper seat angle for the uphills. I own another 170mm bike with an seatangle of 74 and that climbs better even though it's no problem with the EG but could be better. Head angle is quite right. The bb is really low even with a 170mm fork and external cups. I measured 34cm but no problems on the trail, just one time a pedal contact in a roots section, but that could also be my fault. Cornerning is really awesome, the bike is really active and nimble but without being nervous thanks to the slack head angle. No need for an angleset for me. Front is nicely deep so you have good pressure and grip on the front wheel. Stiffness is really good, the bikes feels rock solid and I couldn't feel any flex in the rear even with QR. Contrary to the front suspension I am still not so happy with the rear suspension setup. Although I used the linear linkage mount accordung to titusti.com the rear suspension feels very progressive. Sag is 30% and the beginning stroke is super plush but in the mid end and stroke it's quite harsh. Not sure if it's just a setup issue with the ccdb or if it's the linkage/shock progression itself. Whereas the Deville is sucking on the ground and gives a lot of control it feels that the rear suspension can't keep up. Feels like the rear is bumpy on faster speed with medium impacts. Dropping feels quite ok even though I used only 70% of the shock travel where I can bottom out other bikes. Will need more rides for setup and maybe swap the shock to compare with Monarch+ and RP23. The RP23 should be more linear itself.

thnaks, I attached the rd cable with a zip tie to the end of the fd cable and now the cable doesn't bow out anymore! it just moves a little bit upwards but thats ok. Somewhere it has to move
    Only 70%.. not good, you bottom the fork? Assuming you must let off the hsc on those and use lsc, what settings did you try?

Similar with the rc4 at first.. solved by fork setup, then on rc4 lower pressure & little more volume to smooth the transition, more hsc and zero lsc. Absolutely kills the tech climbs and not bottoming

With the zip ties, you can set them up loose and the cables won't bow at all. I have them spitting forward out the head tube.. at first they completely ate through the medium ties, little velcro solved them getting chewed

mtbr member
    Only 70%.. not good, you only get @ half the travel of the fork? Assuming you must let off the hsc on those and use lsc, what settings did you try?

Similar with the rc4 at first.. solved by lower pressure & little more volume to smooth the transition, more hsc and zero lsc.

With the zip ties, you can set them up loose and the cables won't bow at all. I have them spitting forward out the head tube.. at first they completely ate through the medium ties, little velcro solved them getting chewed
    cable routing works perfect now, no complaints about that anymore!

regarding the ccdba I started with 25-30% sag and immediately felt it was too progressive than went to 30-35% sag and it felt better but on the trail it was to harsh. I constantly opened the low and high speed compression until the shock started to bounce, so just a little extra low speed compression again. Tried even less high speed compression but still did not change the harsh progression.

today I was another 2h on the trails with the monarch+ (m/m tune) and it performs great. 30% sag and used over 90% of the shock travel. Now the rear can keep up with the front and the EG is a hell of a trail bike now. Really enjoyed the ride today.

as for me I will stay with the Monarch+ in the EG and try the ccdba in my other bike but I don't think it will fit better there because the linkage has a decent progression itself and works great with linear shocks.

J:
    Did you bottom the fork at all? (sorry edited my post)

mtbr member
    cable routing works perfect now, no complaints about that anymore!

regarding the ccdba I started with 25-30% sag and immediately felt it was too progressive than went to 30-35% sag and it felt better but on the trail it was to harsh. I constantly opened the low and high speed compression until the shock started to bounce, so just a little extra low speed compression again. Tried even less high speed compression but still did not change the harsh progression.

today I was another 2h on the trails with the monarch+ (m/m tune) and it performs great. 30% sag and used over 90% of the shock travel. Now the rear can keep up with the front and the EG is a hell of a trail bike now. Really enjoyed the ride today.

as for me I will stay with the Monarch+ in the EG and try the ccdba in my other bike but I don't think it will fit better there because the linkage has a decent progression itself and works great with linear shocks.
    that's good to know that you think the monarch is better suited to the el guapo than the ccdb air. makes the decision to cheap out a bit on the monarch version for my wife a little easier. i was on the fence which way to go, but if the monarch is good, no need to spend extra on the ccdb air

mtbr member
    Did you bottom the fork at all? (sorry edited my post)
    no, used approx 80% of fork travel. I like the deville. It' super flush and sensible but does not bottom out or sink in at steeper decents. I have another Lyrik Soloair RC2DH which is quite difficult to set up to have a good balance of sensitive response but not to sink in when it gets step.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    that's good to know that you think the monarch is better suited to the el guapo than the ccdb air. makes the decision to cheap out a bit on the monarch version for my wife a little easier. i was on the fence which way to go, but if the monarch is good, no need to spend extra on the ccdb air
    I have the Monarch+ with external piggy not the normal Monarch. Don't know if the models feel different. But from my experience I won't recommend the ccdba unless you like super progressive suspension for hucking Bender drops

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hmmm i'd never heard of Monarch Plus... can anyone confirm default compression and rebound tune for Guapo? 216mm e2e.. the advantage of the Plus type shocks.. is only on long descents on more general?

mtbr member
    I've got the Monarch Plus RC3 Monarch Plus RC3 | SRAM

The Monarch Plus fuses the exemplary weight of the Monarch with the refined damping of Vivid.
    has obviously a different damping system than the "normal" Monarch.

mtbr member
    no, used approx 80% of fork travel. I like the deville. It' super flush and sensible but does not bottom out or sink in at steeper decents. I have another Lyrik Soloair RC2DH which is quite difficult to set up to have a good balance of sensitive response but not to sink in when it gets step.

I have the Monarch+ with external piggy not the normal Monarch. Don't know if the models feel different. But from my experience I won't recommend the ccdba unless you like super progressive suspension for hucking Bender drops
    ok, good to know. monarch plus gets better reviews than the standard monarch but for my wife, i'm sure the monarch will be ok. thanks

Outcast
    I have both a monarch plus and an vivid air R2C for my guapo; I have swapped them back and forth and my preference is the vivid, once I got it dialed in. Despite it's resemblance to the ccdb-a, I am able to get full travel, and the quality of that travel is what is keeping the monarch plus off my bike. Two thumbs up the the vivid air; it's not just a dh shock, it makes a great AM shock for the guapo.

mtbr member
    I have both a monarch plus and an vivid air R2C for my guapo; I have swapped them back and forth and my preference is the vivid, once I got it dialed in. Despite it's resemblance to the ccdb-a, I am able to get full travel, and the quality of that travel is what is keeping the monarch plus off my bike. Two thumbs up the the vivid air; it's not just a dh shock, it makes a great AM shock for the guapo.
    yeah, i've never been a complete fan of ccdb shocks. i got the ccdb air with my chili because i figured it had to be better than the standard fox junk. don't have enough time on it to say how good it is, but i have heard good things about the monarch plus and the vivid air. i'd try an xfusion vector air hlr too if i had a chance. nice to hear the vivd air is decent too.

what fork are you running? a lyrik with the avy cartridge? guess that is the advantage at the el guapo's price vs my chili, more cash to try out high end suspension components. kinda wish i had waited and pulled the trigger on the v3 for myself too

J:

???

I have both a monarch plus and an vivid air R2C for my guapo; I have swapped them back and forth and my preference is the vivid, once I got it dialed in.
    Ah! someone does have an r2c.. large frame? How long have you been on it and what were your initial impressions as it broke in?

Two thumbs up the the vivid air; it's not just a dh shock, it makes a great AM shock for the guapo.
    Totally agree on some of the shocks catagorized as "dh", must be a lot of people missing out just because

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I won't believe it till i see the pictures.
    Pics here:

New EG in Hong Kong

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I also observed the welds. Some on my bike are not exactly works of art (see the one running down the center of my bottom bracket in the provided link). I think they are probably good enough and I don't really doubt the structural integrity (but I'm not a welder or engineer so it is only an uneducated opinion). In the end, if you hold it in balance with the cost of the frame, I don't think you will be disappointed.

New EG in Hong Kong

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=osti;

as for me I will stay with the Monarch+ in the EG and try the ccdba in my other bike but I don't think it will fit better there because the linkage has a decent progression itself and works great with linear shocks.[/QUOTE]

This may help with the setup of the CCDB air. My EG was ordered with one too and I am wondering if I made the right choice. Seems like a finicky shock to set up.

Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread

Outcast
    Ah! someone does have an r2c.. large frame? How long have you been on it and what were your initial impressions as it broke in?

Totally agree on some of the shocks catagorized as "dh", must be a lot of people missing out just because
    Yes, large frame. The air can just fits in and around the swing link. The shock felt like it did not need any breaking in; it felt great from the start. I took me several rides to dial in my settings, and once I did, I was immensely pleased. I really like being able to adjust the end of stroke rebound.
    Qbert, yes, I am running a coil Lrik with the avy cartridge. It's a fabulous cartridge.

J:
    It sounds like a great compromise in weight/performance

Seem to have missed the 34cm comment above, I ride the Muddy Mary as well and I remember the negative bb drop brant mentioned.. makes me think the reach grew little more there too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0