View Poll Results: Tell us about your sex and how you like it...

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Male - hardtail

38 42.70%
  • Male -full suspension

55 61.80%
  • Female - hardtail

3 3.37%
  • Female - full suspension

2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

Looking to get an idea of who does what. I've been in the market for another FS bike...but for my wife. As I have been searching for deals, I've had some shops tell me women specific is the way to go, and that FS is also the way to go if she's going to get serious about off-road riding or if the hardtail is simply too hard for her on the trails.

I've also had other shops tell me that FS is unnecessary in any part of Texas--and that if someone wanted a more comfortable ride that they should just look into customizing the hard trail to make it more women friendly (i.g. suspension posts, gearing, tire pressure, etc).

So I'm looking to get an idea of who rides what here in Texas...from the riders themselves. I made it multiple choice for those that do more than one type.
    Last edited by SATalon; 10-31-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Title correction

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ride a 29er hardtail in the Austin area (rocks and more rocks) with no issues. I wouldn't mind having a full suspension as well though.

I'm on my phone so I can't see a poll.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Depends on what kind of trails you're riding on but ultimately I think it comes down to personal preference. I ride around Fort Worth/Arlington and I've ridden some out in Austin as well, and a hardtail with a good shock and decent travel will do just fine on a good number of trails IMO. I'm a heavier rider so my XC bike with only 100mm of travel was too harsh for me so I went full suspension with a beefier frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Indeed. I'd really like to see more of what women are riding as well. I like to vary up my ride with fast flowing corners as well as doing some downhill's and minor drops. What are the women doing around Texas?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

I ride a SS hardtail and 100mm FS in the Austin area. Wife rides a 100mm FS. We both run 120mm forks on our FS bikes. Helps with cushion on some of the rougher trails like CP and GB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you want a more comfortable ride and IMO enjoyable ride then go FS. I used to ride a hardtail and I never looked back once I got my first FS. You don't have to ride all mountain to enjoy a FS, on trails in TX there are roots, bumps and all sort of obstacles worth enjoying a FS. Your back will take more of a beating on hardtail but hey everyone has different preferences.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I agree with the above post. But I think the real question here is can the same comfort be achieved using a suspension seat post that would be provided by a FS bike.

You've got some people saying one thing and some people saying another according to the OP. I love my FS, but when you sit on a hard tail you can feel the weight difference for sure. Pedal bobbing is no longer an issue either on a hardtail. On the flip side...FS just makes you faster over much of the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Why not just rent one of each and let her ride them on the same trail and let her decide what she likes. Also, if she has never really ridden all that much in the past shes not going to know what shes missing in a FS.

Big Boy
    Where's the option for rigid?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Big Damn Hero
    I have both a full suspension Epic Marathon and a hardtail Alma. Love both and just basically pick and chose depending on the trails.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It wasn't a choice option for me and to be honest, I didn't think anyone did any trail or AM riding on a rigid.

mtbr member
    Half suspension:
    Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?-690172d1334805565-show-me-pictures-your-29er-lefty-fork-non-cannondale-frame-429.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What's important to you...(or your wife)? Some people that work at bike shops will tell you a tire larger than 2.1 is too much for these parts. Or that full squish is the only way to go... My wife and I are in our 40's and we both ride full suspension on mostly rocky trails. I went to a 29er because I liked the fit better as I'm a taller bastid!

I agree with the above posters, find a shop that rents bikes and try out a few, then let her make an educated decision for herself!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Misleading question; _dw link is 1/2 suspension (or less) since it doesn't work when you pedal.

Anyway, slow, stubborn, luddites shun suspension in TX, and elsewhere.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    I have both a full suspension Epic Marathon and a hardtail Alma. Love both and just basically pick and chose depending on the trails.
    Ditto: I've got a S-Works Epic & Stumpjumper and my wife has a S-Works Epic & Moots RSL and I'd say that 75% of the time we are on the Epic's and the other we are on the hardtails.

I had been riding for 8 years before I got my first "full suspension" bike a Titus Racer X back when Titus was still a quality bike.

With the Epic and it's brain technology it's difficult to find any excuses on why a hardtail would be a better option on any trail in Texas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Forgot to mention, Houston must be excluded as anything with air in the the tires works fine there.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    rigid in Austin is rough! I have done it, but I am really staring to appreciate my new suspension fork. Walnut Creek on rigid is ok, Barton Creek is not so fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm currently riding a FS, but am dying for a carbon HT.

My wife, when she seldomly rides, rides a women specific HT.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

BBB STYLEE
    Im on a FS downhill rig. 200+mm.

Overkill, but whatever. It's like a race car on the street - too much. hah.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

I ride half suspension. Usually the left half; I ride the right half, half as much as it deserves; I should reconsider riding the whole half more often. Of course, this information is useless as I'm not in Texas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I normally ride a hardtail in Austin. I rented a fs this past week and took 20 minutes off my normal 2 1/2 hour time at my local trail. It's pretty technical and I found myself bombing over sections where I would normally pick around rocks and slowly roll over. In the FS (which was also a wheel size larger than I normally ride) I just pointed in the direction I wanted to go and pedaled harder. SO much smoother and comfortable than my hardtail. Heavier in climbs, but I'll gladly exchange that for the boost in confidence it gave me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can ride hardtail and rigid, but prefer full suspension for austin. I'm older now and prefer to be able to do something after I get done riding.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's my main motivation for going full squishy. Physical preservation and comfort. I'm in my early 40s and work in an industry where I need to be on my feet and moving quickly at all times. I can take the technical stuff on a hardtail or rigid, I just choose not to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    After riding a FS for 2 1/2 years I will never go back to a HT. It's like trading in your 4 wheel independent suspension for 2 solid axles on your car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

I'm in Dallas and road a hardtail for 2.5 years before switching to FS. Will never go back. Lap times were so much better and body feels half as fatigued.
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast