View Poll Results: Tell us about your sex and how you like it...

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Male - hardtail

39 43.33%
  • Male -full suspension

55 61.11%
  • Female - hardtail

3 3.33%
  • Female - full suspension

2 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I rode my Trek Fuel Ex8 for a few seasons up here in the DFW area and bought a carbon Specialized Hard Tail..I pretty much stopped riding the FS rig and ride the HT 90 percent of the time now..

mtbr member

Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

Full suspension all the way. I ride in the DFW area. I also travel often and wanted to have FS to ride different terrain. It fit my budget to by 1 bike vs 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramslam View Post
    Why not just rent one of each and let her ride them on the same trail and let her decide what she likes. Also, if she has never really ridden all that much in the past shes not going to know what shes missing in a FS.
    Perfect solution. Let her demo. The more choice she has in it the more invested she'll feel in actually riding with you lol

Team Livemedium
    With full you can get twice as much riding in without getting beat up so badly.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Saves your back and helps in too many ways to list if you have any sort of technical riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

I ride fully rigid in DFW, but I've never tried any suspension.

Sansom was the only trail that made question my decisions hah.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just switched to FS. I still have my hardtail, but I doubt I'll ever ride it again.

All these people telling me about how precise the hardtail is and so on and so on; and I suppose that is true, but FS is just soooo comfy; and doesn't rattle the fillings out of my teeth. knees, back, everything feels better.

they come with "lockouts" now so that you can just flip a little switch and it's like riding a hardtail whenever you want (like for riding up long hills or whatever).

Also the suspension geometry has improved a lot, so it doesn't feel like riding a pogo stick anymore (like 10 years ago or whatever).

MMS
    mtbr member
    I'm on a SS hardtail with front suspension. I gotta have a little squish...just a little. I think I enjoy the pain, makes me remember I'm alive.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm in Austin and ride a hard tail with a 120mm fork, but would prefer FS for around here. I started riding in Florida (Tallahassee, most trails are similar to Walnut Creek), and never felt the need for full suspension there, but the rocks in the hill country are a different story. We rode about 10 miles of the backcountry in Government Canyon one day, and I had to ice my knees so I could fall asleep that night. Rocks are brutal.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Here in SA I ride FS most of the time. My HT is becoming my commuter bike.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    People ride hard tails still?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Some people still ride rigid, no suspension. Hardtail 29er here from an old FS 26 with coil over. I think a 27.5 FS will be in my future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Re: Who rides full and who rides half suspension in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    Some people still ride rigid, no suspension. Hardtail 29er here from an old FS 26 with coil over. I think a 27.5 FS will be in my future.
    I was just giving y'all crap... I enjoy my full suspension entirely too much to even think about a rigid bike.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Rogue Exterminator
    Not in TX but I do live in the mountains of NC with highly technical, rocky, rooty and steep trails.

That being said I love my full suspension bike....I also love my hard tail single speed bike.

I have also seen guys and girls both ride any combination of wheel size, suspension (including full rigid), and gearing. Yes, I know a girl who rides a full rigid SS and she could probably kick half the guys asses on it.

Women specific geometry works great for some women but not all. She doesn't need full suspension but she might want it. Point is, it is a personal preference. See what your wife likes and have her test ride the bikes. Buy her what she doesn't want and she may not ride. Go over the pros and cons of both. If she is doing more gravel and smooth hard pack, she might want the hard tail for efficiency. If you are riding a lot of rocks and roots, then she may enjoy the comfort of a hard tail.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    I was just giving y'all crap... I enjoy my full suspension entirely too much to even think about a rigid bike.
    No worries. I actually know someone who rides the trails in Austin on a 90s rigid. No thanks, I did that when I was a lot younger.

I actually ride both FS and HT. I love how well my 29er HT handles terrain and downhill but the 26 FS is so easy on corners and climbs. This is why people have multiple bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Dallas area here and I love my Giant Anthem FS. Most of the trails I ride can be done with full rigid but I like the comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just got a carbon Superfly FS after coming off a 26 HT. I ride around Austin (Reveille Peak) and I love the FS. I race so I couldn't really get any more travel but the 4 inches is plenty. The only time I rode BCGB was on a rigid (my hardtail with a broken fork) and it beat me up. IMO, a short travel FS is almost a efficient on smooth trails as a hardtail, especially if it has a platform dampener like CTD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm a woman. I brought my full suspension bike here to Austin from Colorado. So far, I think the FS is even more useful here than it was there. I have never appreciated it more than those first few rides on the Barton Creek Greenbelt after the flooding last fall--all those tree roots and loose rocks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2