mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Where would you go? Camp/MTB/Fish? Where

If you could what would be your top 3 or more choices to go MTB, camp and/or kayak/fish within Texas. My choices are reeville park, Colorado bend state park, palo duro canyon... then something in east Texas with huge trees.

Team Livemedium
    Just got a pop up last year. Been to Tyler State Park. Pedernales State Park. Pace Bend.
    Loved them all as long as they have a hot shower. I like your choices but haven't camped there. Rpr is swweeettt riding though.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cleburne State Park has some great trails. Good mixture of easy, tight and twisty in the trees, hard pack dirt trails, to lung busting climbs with rocks and roots, creek crossings. Probably +/- 15 miles of total trails. Riding the 6-7 mile 'outer loop' will work you more than the mileage would indicate. Then there's the small spring fed lake ( low due to the drought ) that you can throw the kayaks in and paddle around to cool down after the ride. Nice camping areas to choose from as well. Then, 20 miles down the road you have Dinosaur Valley State park that has similar terrain ie; rocky/ rooted/ lots of limestone creek beds/ wide open spaces and moderate tree cover/ good climbs and downhills but has a bigger feel, better and very scenic! The Paluxy river runs through the park but not really enough water to kayak. So you could easily stay and ride Cleburne 1 day, get up the next morning, a short 25 minute drive west, and you could ride Dino. Valley the next!
    Tyler State Park would be great for out east. It also has great trails though not as technical as Cleburne or Dino. Trails are tucked under the canopy of beautiful pines with sandy winding singletrack. Also has a small lake for kayaking and really nice campgrounds all in the pines.
    You can't go wrong with Reveille Peak!! I don't like to use the term epic, but...the trails there are quite extraordinary. Nothing like it around these parts.
    Colorado Bend State Park also has some killer trails, although I've only ridden out there once and did not ride it all! Very scenic and you have the Colorado River, but not sure how low it is or if you can kayak at this time. A phone call to the park rangers would help!
    I've never cycled Palo Duro Canyon, but looks like it would be awesome. I haven't been out there in years but It's on my short list to ride there!
    Sounds like a great trip ahead wherever you wind up, have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Cleburne State Park has some great trails. Good mixture of easy, tight and twisty in the trees, hard pack dirt trails, to lung busting climbs with rocks and roots, creek crossings. Probably +/- 15 miles of total trails. Riding the 6-7 mile 'outer loop' will work you more than the mileage would indicate. Then there's the small spring fed lake ( low due to the drought ) that you can throw the kayaks in and paddle around to cool down after the ride. Nice camping areas to choose from as well. Then, 20 miles down the road you have Dinosaur Valley State park that has similar terrain ie; rocky/ rooted/ lots of limestone creek beds/ wide open spaces and moderate tree cover/ good climbs and downhills but has a bigger feel, better and very scenic! The Paluxy river runs through the park but not really enough water to kayak. So you could easily stay and ride Cleburne 1 day, get up the next morning, a short 25 minute drive west, and you could ride Dino. Valley the next!
    Tyler State Park would be great for out east. It also has great trails though not as technical as Cleburne or Dino. Trails are tucked under the canopy of beautiful pines with sandy winding singletrack. Also has a small lake for kayaking and really nice campgrounds all in the pines.
    You can't go wrong with Reveille Peak!! I don't like to use the term epic, but...the trails there are quite extraordinary. Nothing like it around these parts.
    Colorado Bend State Park also has some killer trails, although I've only ridden out there once and did not ride it all! Very scenic and you have the Colorado River, but not sure how low it is or if you can kayak at this time. A phone call to the park rangers would help!
    I've never cycled Palo Duro Canyon, but looks like it would be awesome. I haven't been out there in years but It's on my short list to ride there!
    Sounds like a great trip ahead wherever you wind up, have fun!
    I forgot about the dino park. I passed that one day driving back from DFW and said I will have to stop next trip. A lot of the state parks are full for camping on the weekend for the next few months. I don't like planning a trip one or two months in advance. I like to be spur of the moment and create an adventure on the fly. I have added all the above for my list of 2014.

mtbr member
    Dino is a great trail...never crowded and has some nice challenging parts to it....I have never seen the park that crowed unless it is a holiday weekend...I went out to Palo Duro 4 times in 2013 from Fort Worth...great trail and park...Tyler is awesome as well

mtbr member
    No fishing in Palo Duro, but camping and trails are well worth the trip. Reveille would be my suggestion if you have to have all 3.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I got to do reveille and it was a lot of fun... except super D I went up it... that was not fun.

Palo duro im planning for the fall so I can spend more time traveling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Team Livemedium
    Enjoyed Dana Peak on Stillhouse Hollow Lake with the pop up. Didn't get too much riding in but site 14 was sweet and right on the water.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.