mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Where to stay in Austin

We will be visiting Austin this weekend and are looking for suggestions for where to stay for good access for mountain biking.

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Budget? Transportation?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Budget? Transportation?
    We have a vehicle. Not looking to break the bank. I have some (very few) Hilton points and was hoping to use them as the points are good at any Hilton brand property (Hampton, homewood, embassy suites).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You can get some insane deals on Priceline in the northwest Austin area. My 35-50 dollar bids ALWAYS get accepted. I paid 35 dollars a night at the Comfort Inn on 183 last month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrodtx View Post
    You can get some insane deals on Priceline in the northwest Austin area. My 35-50 dollar bids ALWAYS get accepted. I paid 35 dollars a night at the Comfort Inn on 183 last month.
    Really? Hell thats cheaper then my rent! Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zrodtx View Post
    Thanks. Northwest a good place to be for trail access? Looking at a map of Austin there is green all over but its tough for me to see which areas have trails and which are worth hitting. Any thoughts ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    you prob want to stay downtown. The main trails are going to be barton creek green belt, walnut creek, emma long (city park). BCGB is prob going to be the best.

downtown we can reliably get a 5* hotel for about 100/night on priceline

the way you get it is go to biddingfortravel.com and see around what people are getting downtown hotels for. It also lists the names of the hotels that you could possibly get.

with priceline you dont get to change your bid unless you add more areas. However if you pick a 5* hotel, they only have them in certain areas (downtown and maybe northwest). If you add an area without 5* hotels, you still only have a chance of getting a hotel in the area that has 5* hotels.

Start slightly below what people typically report getting on biddingfortravel.com. If the price isnt accepted, then add a new area that does not have 5* hotels and add a $ amount to your bid (say $10). I think austin might have 5 areas that will let you rebid. If you get 5 rebids and you are incrementing by $10 then you get a $50 range of prices. if you dont win just wait a day and you can try again. This allows you to get within $x of pricelines lowest possible price for that area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do not stay in NW Austin if you're looking to enjoy the town.
    Stay downtown. You'll be in riding distance of Barton Creek Greenbelt, which offers great mountain bike rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rent from bicycle sport shop south. My site has the trail details
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    www.airbnb.com

there are tons of places on there for relatively cheap. generally people looking to rent out their house or apartment for a couple days.

mtbr member
    Yes, stay downtown if you can. Not only will you be close to the green belt you will be walking and riding distance from the places you'll want to see. If you stay in the NW you'll be driving whenever you want to go somewhere most likely. Lots of green belt options. It's big enough that there are several different access points and the trails are all somewhat different at each. Try to get off the main trail...
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the input everyone. Wasnt able get a hotel downtown with the few points I had but did get something few miles away. Hopefully not too far....

I think we plan on riding the green belt tomorrow and may try and hit rocky hill ranch on Sunday. I see there is a 24 hour race there tomorrow. Do you all think that will impact the trails being open at rocky hill Sunday ? If so do folks have other trail recommendations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you're up for driving as far as Rocky Hill from Austin, I would suggest some other places like Pace Bend (West of Austin) or Reveille Peak (NW of Austin). I guess it just depends which way you're traveling.

Check out Austin bike's site: Austin Bike's Guide To Central Texas Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for your input. Great weekend in Austin!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdmack View Post
    Thanks for your input. Great weekend in Austin!

whered you ride? report?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    whered you ride? report?

Rode out at pace bend park on Saturday which was great for us as I think it would have been near impossible to get lost.
    We rode with a couple new friends at the greenbelt on Sunday. The advice in this thread to ride with someone who knows the trails was right on. We would have been chasing our tails without a guide. Awesome ride ! About twenty miles on some great trails. What a great resource in the middle of town.