Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where to ride in San Antonio?

I live in GA, and will be driving out to San Antonio in the next week or so. I'm not too familiar with the area, and I'm in search of a few riding areas for me and my 14 yo son to try out. We usually ride 3-4 days a week on intermediate to advanced trails 10-15 miles in length. Can anyone advise where we could go in the metro SA area that doesn't consist of greenway boardwalks or paved paths? I'm looking for good singletrack riding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    This is just my own personal rating of the trails in town. Granted we have a few more in the San Antonio area too.

McAllister Park.. Easy... Located NE area of town.
    OP Schnabel/ Leon Creek.. Easy-Intermediate... Located NW of town
    Salado Creek/Phil Hardberger Park.. Intermediate-Hard... Located North Central of town

North Of Town is Government Canyon State Park $6 entrance fee open Friday-Monday Intermediate-Hard and Technical

Out at Canyon Lake bout 40 min drive from town is Madrone Trail 8 mile loop of Intermediate Technical with some great views of the lake.

If you want to get a good leg burn going on another trail with LOTS of climbing check out Tapatio Springs golf resort.. Very Technical... Trail is located about 40 min drive up I10 heading out of town.

Also Austin is home to a slew of great trails too. Too many to name.

mtbr member
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I agree with Xraptor. You can check with the San Antonio Wheelmen and AustinBike.com for some information too.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    if you only have time to check out one trail, I would start with McAllister Park. Next would be either OP Schnabel/ Leon Creek Greenbelt. it's a HUGE trail system. Bamberger Park is a good place to start. it would be wise to bring a phone with GPS so you can find your way back to the car.

Salado Creek was one of my favorite places. I have not been there in years, but it was a lot less worn-down than Leon Creek when I was there.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Post up when you get in town. I'm sure someone could get away and show you and your boy a few spots to ride.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    I'm leaving GA tonight, and driving west. I'll probably be riding on Wed and Sat. We'll then head back on Sun. I appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to some different scenery while on the bike.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Provided it don't raid too much I should be able to ride Saturday morning. I could show you around OP and Leon Creek.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone able to ride at OP Schnabel Park tomorrow and show me around? From st.louis, would love to have someone show me the trail - let's crush! I plan to arrive around 10am at the park...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey crash, this is Greg, Jen's boyfriend.

Looking like Saturday will be good for me and would enjoy meeting up with y'all for that ride.

I PM'd you my contact info

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krash670 View Post
    I live in GA, and will be driving out to San Antonio
    Thanks for starting this thread!

I also will be in San Antonio visiting from Atlanta GA in a couple weeks (14th-18th) and looking for some more tech, intermediate to hard places (climbing is also good) to ride closer to town.

More then likely will only have max two hours to ride so if anyone is down to ride one of those days please PM.

Also- can anyone recommend places to rent bikes out there? Was going to hit up a couple shops but wanted to check with some locals first.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ride away bikes rents mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    OP/ Leon Creek is the only trail system that I know of that has any decent climbing.

however, if everything is as wet in SA as it has been in Austin lately, nothing will be rideable anyways. rent a road bike instead. Bike World might still rent road bikes.

How is Atlanta, by the way? I moved away from there recently and only go to ride Sope Creek once after it opened up the new trails and it was a blast! Central TX trails are nothing like ATL-area trails. there is no smooth dirt. every mile of trail is a mile of rock gardens occasionally interrupted by some dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Everyone keeps talking about Leon Creek having trails. I thought it was path, with an occasional small section of dirt. The only areas I thought where trails really existed was when it intersected a park like OP.

Is there a trail system that runs the entire creek?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavm View Post
    Everyone keeps talking about Leon Creek having trails. I thought it was path, with an occasional small section of dirt. The only areas I thought where trails really existed was when it intersected a park like OP.

Leon Creek is the best all around single track trail in San Antonio. Answer to your question is yes the trails run from around the UTSA area all the way to Bandera road by the Pep Boys. You can add in the outer loop of OP and get around 16-18 miles depending on your route. Also there are a couple of really large climbs on that ride. It is a great place. McAlester is fun but really very easy. Salado Creek is also very good but a bit more technical. Heck I like all of them. Its great we have so many options close by. Also each trail is drastically different so when you get bored just drive over to the other trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My rating in order of difficulty of trails with 45 mins of SA ( easiest to the most difficult)
    McAllester
    Leon Creek
    Salado
    Canyon Lake (Madone Trail)
    San Marcos (Little Known but its a good one)
    Government Canyon.

The last three you had better be damn good at climbing and descending nasty Rock gardens and ledge drops. FS 29ers were custom made for those places.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ok guys....you need to help me then. Mcallister is what I'd consider my "home trail". It's the closest. I've been all around OP Schnapel as well (both the front and the lower part in the back near the leon creek pathway).

But Salado Creek was to my understanding a path also...which leads from Mccalister to Ft Sam and back, which I've been on a couple times. I know about Madrone trail at the Canyon Lake Park and the two pay-to-play parks Flat Rock Ranch, and Government Canyon.

So can someone tell me (1) how to enter into the Leon Creek TRAIL from I10/1604 and how to enter the Salado Creek Trail?

Thanks!

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Double post

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Ride away bikes rents mountain bikes.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    OP/ Leon Creek is the only trail system that I know of that has any decent climbing.

however, if everything is as wet in SA as it has been in Austin lately, nothing will be rideable anyways. rent a road bike instead. Bike World might still rent road bikes.

How is Atlanta, by the way? I moved away from there recently and only go to ride Sope Creek once after it opened up the new trails and it was a blast! Central TX trails are nothing like ATL-area trails. there is no smooth dirt. every mile of trail is a mile of rock gardens occasionally interrupted by some dirt.
    Thanks! That is the spot I was looking towards since my wife used to ride there as a kid.

ATL is good! All the leaves coming down are making it nice and slick. Just got in 20+ miles at Dauset Trails in Jackson GA. I usually ride conyers, yellow river, ft Yargo hit up blankets creek for the first time check it out if you ever come back.
    I haven't ridden sope creek yet plan on checking out.

I'm originally from the northeast so these smooth ATL trails sometimes bore me. Hearing about rock gardens has me excited!

The wife and I are thinking of moving to TX so we are coming to check some stuff out including trails. How is the race scene there? Local series? Good turnouts?

mtbr member
    I have done 30+ mile rides along Leon Creek. you just have to keep exploring. if you start at OP, follow the paved path until you see singletrack and see where it leads you! there are trails north and south of OP through Bamberger Park and north and all the way to near Ingram Park Mall to the south.

mtbr member
    But Salado Creek was to my understanding a path also...which leads from Mccalister to Ft Sam and back, which I've been on a couple times.

So can someone tell me (1) how to enter into the Leon Creek TRAIL from I10/1604 and how to enter the Salado Creek Trail?
    the northern-most trailhead that I know of on Leon is the "Valero Trail head." (maybe there's some off-the-map trails to the north? probably best not to discuss it here if there is.) just look that up on any map. it's behind the Drury Inn Hotel in the south-west corner of 1604/IH10. there's a nice clean parking lot there. you have to follow a mile or so of paved trail to the south and watch for singletrack off the path. I think the first entrance is shortly after a pedestrian bridge that you can't miss.

the part of Salado you are talking about is mostly paved and boardwalk, not very exciting on a mountain bike.

for Salado, I always started at the south end at Phil Harberger Park, Blanco entrance. there is singletrack on both sides of the creek as you go north from there and a paved path on the west side of the creek starting at Voelcker Lane. starting at Harberger,.you have about 5 miles of singletrack until you reach 1604 near the Patricia J Blattman Elementary School, so it's easy to do a 10 mile out-and-back that way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok guys....you need to help me then. Mcallister is what I'd consider my "home trail". It's the closest. I've been all around OP Schnapel as well (both the front and the lower part in the back near the leon creek pathway).

But Salado Creek was to my understanding a path also...which leads from Mccalister to Ft Sam and back, which I've been on a couple times. I know about Madrone trail at the Canyon Lake Park and the two pay-to-play parks Flat Rock Ranch, and Government Canyon.

Thanks!
    For riding Leon Creek the single track starts at Fox Park Trailhead. Address is 6514 Hausman Rd W, SA TX 78249. Ride the concrete path south from that parking lot. Look to the right for the first single track you see. That will take you about a mile into the actual creek bed. You will be at a major T there. Go right again (Away from the walking path bridge) and enter the birds of prey area. You can't go wrong in there because all the trails end up on Old Babcock road. Find the single track again and repeat till you end up at Bandera Rd.
    Salado Creek Single track is all in the North section. Like mentioned earlier start at Hardberger Park off of Blanco. The trails start just north of the park. I normally just keep the creek to the left all the way out to 1604 and back. Then you never really ride the same trail.
    Google Earth and Strava are great tools to see where most people have been riding.
    Once you get the hang of riding the creek trails its easy to figure out where the connections are.

mtbr member
    I just want to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions, and especially to In-Yo-Grill for taking the time to show me and my kid around OP Schnable Park / Leon Creek Greenway. It was a great ride. It's always nice to ride in a new area and a different terrain than what you're use to. Great fun. Look forward to coming back out and trying some other places when I head back to San Antonio.

mtbr member
    Try Heritage Park in Oconee County (outside Athens), or Chicopee Woods Mountain Biking Trails in Oakwood. Both are good technical rocky/rooty rides here in GA.

mtbr member
    I went out to OP for the first time today and it was pretty sweet. I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to mountain biking but I had a great time. Probably going to make another trip this weekend!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast