mtbr member

Where to ride in DFW?

I am going to be in Texas for Christmas week and want to ride. Specifically I will be in Colleyville. So what trails are available and what would be the must see trail? Thanks
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Northshore is a nice trail and close to Colleyville. Big Cedar is a must ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    Northshore is a nice trail and close to Colleyville. Big Cedar is a must ride.
    Can you provide anymore info like how I find these trails?
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This map has both trails and other trails in the area.

Northshore has several trailheads but the one at that link is about in the middle of the trail. Head east for an easier, flowy type ride of ~ 14 miles. It's looped. Head west for a more technical ride for ~ 10 miles. The inner part is looped and there's an out and back which returns back to the loop.... or ride it all.

Big Cedar has lot more aerobic challenge, having the biggest altitude change for DFW. It has the main loop (white on the map) and the other trails of varying difficultly branch off it. I think it now clocks in at ~ 22 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Can you provide anymore info like how I find these trails?
    Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Thanks Poison Dart!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Northshore will be the best/closest option for you. It is the most ridden trail in DFW. Fast, flowy singletrack on the east side. Technical/rocky on the west side. A little over 20 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty2341 View Post
    Northshore will be the best/closest option for you. It is the most ridden trail in DFW. Fast, flowy singletrack on the east side. Technical/rocky on the west side. A little over 20 miles.
    Thanks I just checked the Dorba link and it says those trails are closed. Is that because of that little ice storm? Wondering if any will be open when I'm there.

mtbr member
    Thanks I just checked the Dorba link and it says those trails are closed. Is that because of that little ice storm? Wondering if any will be open when I'm there.
    LOL if you call this a "little" ice storm, I'd hate to see a big one.

There is still a lot of frozen precip on the ground. It started thawing today, but it will be a few days at best before its all melted, and THEN the trails can start to dry out. It really depends upon the weather between now and Xmas - if we get some sun and warmer temps, then yes. If not, then no.

The good news is that NS is sandy/rocky, so it drains quickly and dries out faster and opens before any other trail in the area.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    LOL if you call this a "little" ice storm, I'd hate to see a big one.

There is still a lot of frozen precip on the ground. It started thawing today, but it will be a few days at best before its all melted, and THEN the trails can start to dry out. It really depends upon the weather between now and Xmas - if we get some sun and warmer temps, then yes. If not, then no.

The good news is that NS is sandy/rocky, so it drains quickly and dries out faster and opens before any other trail in the area.
    Yea it looks like you guys got hit pretty hard. My comment was more a quip about how everything shuts down in the south when there's a winter
    storm.

mtbr member
    Ok next question.. I was planning on bringing my bike but if I don't do you guys know any local places to rent one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok next question.. I was planning on bringing my bike but if I don't do you guys know any local places to rent one?
    Cadence Cyclery just opened a shop near flower mound. Google them. I know Richardson Bike mart does but they are a little far from NS.

I'd expect the earliest trails will be open is on Thursday. NS dries out the quickest.

mtbr member
    Post up on the DORBA website forum as well. I think they have loaner bikes.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Really? How does that work and where would I pick it up??? That would be great.. I checked out the site and didnt see anything about this but I emailed them to see. Thanks for all the help..

mtbr member
    Trying to register for Dorba is like applying for a job. Emergency contact??

I'm going to be in Granbury over the holidays. It's been over 20 years since I rode in the DFW area (I was DORBA member #10, back in the day) and I'm sure things have changed a bit. Looking at the resources mentioned in this thread (thanks for those) I think Big Cedar and Cedar Hill are where my wife and I want to ride when we are out there. Cedar Hill used to be the best riding near Dallas when it was first created and I'm hoping it is still fun.

Couple of questions.

1. Is there a way to connect Big Cedar and Cedar Hill without getting back in the car and without riding road? My wife and I are endurance riders, so the extra miles are not an issue.

2. Is there any place between Granbury and these parks to rent a decent bike? Maybe Arlington? Looking for a reasonably good hardtail 29er.

3. What is the likelihood that the trails would even be open around Xmas? I see you have had some "interesting" weather of late.

Appreciate any input.

mtbr member
    Well we made it to Texas and I managed to squeeze my bike in the trunk..I am going to try and hit northshore one day this week...Thanks for all the help..

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Couple of questions.

1. Is there a way to connect Big Cedar and Cedar Hill without getting back in the car and without riding road? My wife and I are endurance riders, so the extra miles are not an issue.
    No. They are decently far apart and both are bordered by roads. You can minimize the amount of time on busy roads, but you will have to eventually get on the shoulder of 1382 to get to CHSP. I hope this link to a map works:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=BCWT+...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

You can see that the entrance to CHSP is kind of isolated and the ONLY way in is 1382. 1382 is a busy 50-60mpg limit road, but it has a shoulder on the right side as wide as a full lane (it also has some steeper hills for bikes but they are VERY ridable).

2. Is there any place between Granbury and these parks to rent a decent bike? Maybe Arlington? Looking for a reasonably good hardtail 29er.
    Most of the bike stores can and will rent bikes. I know Bicycles Inc use to have Spec Cambers for rent. I don't know where a person can get a good spec'd hardtail though. Most of the rentals I have seen are basic models. Head over to DORBA.org and ask there, I am limited in my knowledge of where to rent (never have to). Or call B&B Bicycles ( B&B Bicycles Cedar Hill TX 972-293-3100 Road Bikes Mountain Bikes Trek Specialized ) and ask what they have for rental because they are VERY close to both CHSP and BCWT.

3. What is the likelihood that the trails would even be open around Xmas? I see you have had some "interesting" weather of late.
    Glad you saved this for last. Given the amount of rain we got just a few days ago, it is unlikely BCWT or CHSP will open this week. BCWT is projecting to be open MAYBE by the weekend depending on the amount of sun/wind, but the trail didn't open after our ice storm (neither did CHSP). Both trails take a while to dry out. You are more likely to be able to ride North Shore in Grapevine, but I am not holding my breath to ride this week. Again, DORBA.org is the BEST place to get real time info on trails. If the status has not been updated, that means it hasn't changed.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Church of the Bike
    Horseshoe is open today. Hopefully NS will be open Friday or Saturday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    Horseshoe is open today. Hopefully NS will be open Friday or Saturday.
    I'm hoping it will be open Thursday so I can ride it before we leave..
    How long is horseshoe and what type of ride is it? I will go there Thursday if north shore hasn't opened..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Horseshoe is mostly smooth easy singletrack, but kind of a maze. Probly 5 miles a lap.

Church of the Bike
    Northshore is open. Getusum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    Northshore is open. Getusum.
    Thanks, I was just going to post that myself. I will be heading out there tomorrow if anybody wants to ride,,

mtbr member
    Hit Northshore today.. Good ride, I enjoyed the difference in terrain compared to the N.E. Not nearly as technical as the trails back home but definitely a nice trail. Thanks for all the input.