Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What's living in Texas like?

I'm 26, single, working a private security job at a medical facility in SW Ohio (Cincinnati). I'm getting burnt out looking for law enforcement positions in this area, and it seems like the departments are always laying people off even after landing a job. It's not uncommon to have 3k applicants applying for a department that just announced 10 open positions.

Anyhow, I was in uniform standing in line at a grocery store a week ago and struck up a conversation with a guy behind me. He said he had just moved home, but was a Dallas Police officer for a few years and loved it. Said they were always hiring, good job and all but had some familiy issues to attend to and didn't care for the heat.

So I'm looking into it, and it seems like every city I'm looking at is currently accepting applications (Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc). What's the deal, are y'all handing out free BBQ or something? Cincinnati dropped 2% population between the 2010 and 2012 census, but cities in Texas are jumping 3-8%.

I guess I have an idea of what it's like to live in Texas... Lots of red meat, scorching sunshine (like "Good, The Bad, The Ugly" kind of weather), rattlesnakes everywhere, the movie "Twister", and so-on and so-forth. I'm just curious how it would compare on the surface to living in Cincinnati, or Indianapolis, Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, or any other modest 100-300k population city in the midwest.

I've heard Austin is "hip" and the pay looks ridiculously tempting for the PD, but also that the housing is a bit higher. A few people I've spoke to at work say they love the Dallas/ Fort Worth area, but won't really explain it past "It's awesome, it's like full of rich people" (except one gay guy who said no one was nice to him there).

-Mountain bike trails are a factor, just for the sole purpose of what kind of terrain I'm looking at
    -Cost of living/Tax rates
    -Single looking to mingle... Cincy has lots of festivals, lots to do, but what's the social scene like
    -Housing
    -Climate... I've heard it's hot, but all the 90-100 degree days in SW Ohio with 90% humidity already feel like death. Much worse with a bullet resistant vest and duty belt. And black uniform. Surrounded by pavement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am a Midwesterner, from Chicago. Moved down here 20 years ago and would never go back. The biking is good, you can ride year 'round and there are no state income taxes. Now, with that being said, there is no state income tax so expect that infrastructure will reflect that.

I lived in Houston and would rather return to the snow of Chicago than go back to Houston. I live in Austin now and plan to die here. Just not soon.

Biking info on Texas can be found on my site.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    I am moving to Austin from Columbus. In terms of weather, much warmer and very humid compared to Ohio. However, no freaking snow and cold weather. People are great in Austin, tons of stuff to do, traffic sucks, housing prices going up, and oh by the way.....great freaking trails. compared to what you have in Cincinnati, you will not be disappointed in Austin trails I have three trail systems in last week, and equally impressed with all three. Many many more trails to hit.
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

Off the saddle

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    The heat compares to Camp Spicher or Kirkuk ABF, Iraq. In other words one can survive it--vest and all.

Rattlesnakes are there but really I've only happened upon several in hundreds of mtb rides.

The racing scene for MTB is very healthy here. The road cycling is good too. Almost a century ride somewhere every weekend.

Housing mid 100s for 2200-2400 sq ft--at least in Killeen/Ft Hood area...you may be looking at slightly more in Austin/DFW. This is a BASIC thrown together by cheap labor homes but nice. Just know that the fences they use will blow down the 1st time the wind gusts over 20.

Not into the social scene but there is Ausin a huge Universiy meaning girls

Just remember Waco is wacky and Austin is weird and nobody really cares for Texas A&M that much (although Lake Bryan MTB trails are ok) and you'll do fine here.

IMHO cost of living in Texas= bang for the buck. And salary here=more than lots of other metro areas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I grew up in Salem Ohio, lived north of Chicago for a couple years after college, and now live outside of Fort Worth. I am never goin back, the heat ain't too bad, it is humid as hell the end of May into early June, then it quits rainin and turns too a dry heat. There are more XC mountain bike trails in the DFW metromess than I have seen in any one area. People around here are pretty friendly and outgoing mostly, much better than Illinois. I have only seen a couple of rattlers in 13 years, lots of Copperheads though, and a few Cottonmouths. We get a lot of Rat snakes around the house, and I don't mind them as long as they stay outside.

If you don't get that seatpost unstuck from the Monocog, bring it by the house with six pack of good beer and we'll braze a new seat tube in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I moved from Ohio to Texas in 1970. For the first 4 years I lived in Mesquite and then Terrell. From there I moved to Houston in search of warmer weather; mission accomplished. I only go back to Ohio to visit family. The biking scene is very active with MTB and road activities almost every weekend even in the "winter". While Houston has 2 seasons (summer and spring) north of here gets a strong dose of winter. I remember the ice storms when I lived in Mesquite. In Houston it gets to freezing two or three times a winter.

I did notice the Harris County Sheriff Department is hiring. They are the largest one in Texas, third largest in the country.

The only snakes I see are roadkill but I do not go offroad much.

Go Bearcats!
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Yeah welcome to Texas just don't bring your liberal politics that f*cked up the state your escaping from.

I've lived my entire life in Houston Texas and you could not PAY ME to move or live in Austin yes it sucks that bad.

San Antonio is great and so is the DFW area if you have to live in a metropolitan area and no matter what the haters say you can't beat Houston if you want to make a good living and have a low cost of living PERIOD.

As far as mtb/cycling goes you can look at a regional trail map at MountainbikeTx.com DWF, San Antonio have great places to ride off road Houston not so much unfortunately unless you want to drive an hour or so outta town.

If you don't have to be tied down to a large city but don't want to be in the sticks the Tyler/Longview area is nice and so is the Woodlands and College Staton. If you must live in central Texas and NOT in Austin...New Braunfels, Georgetown are good choices.

mtbr member

What's living in Texas like?

There are quite a few liberals here in Austin. And some freaks. Stay on the outside of town and should be safe. Did I say the traffic sucks
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I live in Georgetown but work in Austin and have to second the traffic sucking comment. There's too many people moving here right now. The transportation infrastructure won't be able to support the amount of people soon.

Houston sucks for the most part, especially being a single guy unless you're looking for the fattest chicks the state has to offer.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Born and raised just outside Dallas (Grand Prairie to be exact), and I read it here and I echo the sentiment.... you could not PAY ME to leave this state. I have visited many places and I am always happy to come back home. As for mountain biking, the Dallas/Ft Worth area has a lot of trails that are well maintained by folks in DORBA, FWMBA and various trail runners. Our trails are definitely XC with a few pieces of Texas style downhill (not long but some die hard fans keep it alive).

I, personally, help maintain Cedar Hill State Park and claim the DORBA trail there as my "home." I grew up riding from my mom's house to the trail head on the weekends (almost 13 miles by road exactly), ride the trail all day and head home just in time to beat sundown.

As much as us Texans are proud of our state and claim it is the best (it is, don't kid yourself!), we only top that argument when it comes to our parts of Texas. The areas of Texas are very different. From the "northern" plains of the Dallas/Ft Worth area to the hill country around Austin/San Antonio to those enjoying the humidity of the Coastal Plains in Houston, we are all very proud of where we call home. We can all list the reasons why city X in Texas is better than city Z, but it really comes down to what we know and love.

FWIW, in my landscape business, I have had a LONG time customer that moved here long ago from Ohio and hates even going back there to visit family.

No state income tax, not bad property tax (on houses only, not cars), a state government that isn't terrible (not without their faults) and a higher concentration of "nice" people.... Texas has open arms to welcome you, just don't ***** about us once you are here. ;-)
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Oh yeah... if you are in North Central Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth), the city shuts down about once a year when we get a winter storm.... we do NOT get snow here.... we get thick layers of ice that nobody (not even northerners who think they can) should drive on, so we collectively stay home and chill out.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

oootard
    Houston sucks. I grew up there and left when I was 18. I moved back two years ago for a job. That was enough. I got out and moved back west.

Austin and Dallas are far nicer than Houston. There are some really cool people in Houston, especially inside the loop, but there are also many closed-minded individuals who have never left Houston and are oblivious to their own ignorance.

Decisions made in Houston are motivated by money. Houston cares little for parks and will gladly plow and grade natural habitat to put in a parking lot. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but if you love to drink and like to get fat, Houston is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Living in Austin is very nice.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

MMS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    As much as us Texans are proud of our state and claim it is the best (it is, don't kid yourself!), we only top that argument when it comes to our parts of Texas. The areas of Texas are very different. From the "northern" plains of the Dallas/Ft Worth area to the hill country around Austin/San Antonio to those enjoying the humidity of the Coastal Plains in Houston, we are all very proud of where we call home. We can all list the reasons why city X in Texas is better than city Z, but it really comes down to what we know and love.

No state income tax, not bad property tax (on houses only, not cars), a state government that isn't terrible (not without their faults) and a higher concentration of "nice" people.... Texas has open arms to welcome you, just don't ***** about us once you are here. ;-)
    Ha! You nailed it!

Life long Texan. Born in Lubbock, moved to Central Texas when I was 4...been here since (Temple/Belton area...between Waco & Austin). I've been all over the country & world...and when I go, I can't wait to get back. No matter our differences, we all seem to get along pretty well...even with Yankees.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Living in Austin is very nice.
    There is a real good reason why this is a hot seller in Houston...

MMS
    mtbr member
    Cause you have a lot of fat people?

Houston is Hate Town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMS View Post

Houston is Hate Town.
    Can you elaborate on your final point, please?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    There is a real good reason why this is a hot seller in Houston...

That picture was probably taken an your local neighborhood Applebee's.

oootard
    Closed-mindedness breeds hate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You'll hate it. Stay where you are. There is nothing to see here. The girls are fat, the men will punch your face.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member

Re: What's living in Texas like?

Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    You'll hate it. Stay where you are. There is nothing to see here. The girls are fat, the men will punch your face.
    This.
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

MMS
    mtbr member
    All my friends from Houston call it "Hate Town", cause they all hate everywhere else in Texas. Mind you, these are a bunch of middle aged, Punk rock, dirty skateboarders...but good guys still.

Houston's cool...it's a never ending strip center of humidity overload.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have lived in Houston and Austin. I prefer Austin by a longshot. People in Houston seemed nice on the surface, but when it came to hanging out, they are a much more closed society. Austin is much more welcoming to people moving here (I have heard 80% of the people in Austin were not from here...interestingly most are supposedly from Houston and Dallas. ). San Antonio has a good biking scene as well.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Off the saddle
    I'm a native Houstonian and don't see the issues you guys have experienced. Maybe I just hang out with good folks don't bother with the trash and snobs of the city. Houston (and surrounding areas) is growing exponentially.
    Obese people? Sure. That's everywhere. Our food scene is pretty expansive as well, no pun intended.
    You looking for fit women? They are plentiful as well.
    BTW, if you have any law enforcement questions, feel free to PM me. I'm with Houston.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast