mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Whatís up Texas Folks! Might be moving there and have some ?ís

Hey guys,

I currently live in Colorado and there is a high chance I may be moving to Dallas soon. I actually spent 10 years in Texas in the San Antonio/Austin Area but was a roadie. So I have no clue of what the mountain bike scene is like.

So since Iíll be living in Dallas is there anything within an hour or 2 that I can ride? Are day trips to ride in Austin worth it? Is it more XC than AM/Enduro? Not expecting Colorado type riding but any recommendations would be great.

TIA
    2018 Yeti SB 4.5 Turq
    2018 Orbea Rallon M-Team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gios78 View Post
    Hey guys,

I currently live in Colorado and there is a high chance I may be moving to Dallas soon. I actually spent 10 years in Texas in the San Antonio/Austin Area but was a roadie. So I have no clue of what the mountain bike scene is like.

So since Iíll be living in Dallas is there anything within an hour or 2 that I can ride? Are day trips to ride in Austin worth it? Is it more XC than AM/Enduro? Not expecting Colorado type riding but any recommendations would be great.

TIA
    I canít speak TOO much for it because I live in Houston, but I did live I Dallas for a short time when I started mountain biking. Iíve only ridden 3 trails in Dallas but from what I know and/or have read about, the Dallas/Fort Worth area has a pretty good mountain biking scene, definitely better than Houston. Waco and Austin are good for a road trip, but Dallas itself has some nice trails, nothing too crazy, maybe more XC but some good fun stuff. Big Cedar even has a downhill course I think. Or maybe Iím thinking of Marion Sansom. Either way itís a nice place to be a mountain biker. Youíll enjoy it and Iím envious down here in H-town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    I canít speak TOO much for it because I live in Houston, but I did live I Dallas for a short time when I started mountain biking. Iíve only ridden 3 trails in Dallas but from what I know and/or have read about, the Dallas/Fort Worth area has a pretty good mountain biking scene, definitely better than Houston. Waco and Austin are good for a road trip, but Dallas itself has some nice trails, nothing too crazy, maybe more XC but some good fun stuff. Big Cedar even has a downhill course I think. Or maybe Iím thinking of Marion Sansom. Either way itís a nice place to be a mountain biker. Youíll enjoy it and Iím envious down here in H-town.

Thanks man! Great info!
    2018 Yeti SB 4.5 Turq
    2018 Orbea Rallon M-Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Check out www.dorba.org.

I live in FtW, so I ride Gateway Park and Sansom Park most of the time. Grapevine and Big Cedar are also great. Cameron Park in Waco is worth the drive.

mtbr member
    I have a couple buddies I met on a MTB tour in Oregon several years ago that live in the Dallas/Plano/Ft Worth area. They are big time into the XC & CX race scene, riding all over the state as well into neighboring states. One of them is now getting into Enduro as well. They are riding **all the time** with a decent size group so there has to be plenty of riding to be had. I know one of them is sponsored by Dallas Bike Works and the other is with PACC Racing (they are on Facebook)...
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Check out dorba.org and fwmba.org for Dallas and Fort Worth trails. There are quite a few in the area but pretty spread out and they are going to be flat by comparison, I'm sure.

There are a few that get kinda vertical and technical, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Solavaca Ranch is a nice, fast XC course. Dinosaur state park is also not bad for XC. Both are west of Fort Worth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It won't be big mountain riding for sure but there are a lot of trails in the DFW area, most are XC but some do have good technical features (like Big Cedar and Sansom Park). Also venture out into Quanah Hill in Weatherford, it's worth the drive. Don't go selling all your bikes thinking you'll need a XC hardtail here, you can definitely find a little bit of everything.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If your willing to drive to Austin, Emma long is an old motorcross trail. Also hear about this Hill of Life (or Hill of Hell). Haven't rode that one yet, but cameron park in Waco is def worth the drive. Salado has some trail around Stillhouse hollow lake, more flowy, completely different than cameron park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I haven't ridden in Colorado but have heard that elevation change and rock. As others have mentioned Dallas is mostly XC.

Most Climbing In DFW
    Big Cedar, also short downhill skills section (South Dallas)
    Sansom (Northwest Fort Worth)

Most rock in DFW
    Northwest section of Northshore

Some Day Trips
    Dinosaur Valley, alright climbing, loose rock (Glen Rose, ~2 hour drive)
    Cleburne State Park, haven't been, but people mention loose rock, climbing (~Glen Rose)
    Cameron Park, climbing (Waco, ~2 hours)
    Tyler State Park, climbing (~ 2 hours)
    Lake Georgetown Trail, rock (Georgetown, ~3 hours)

Map of most trails in Texas

Traffic is terrible in DFW which leads to long drive times, possibly making post work ride daylight ride difficult. And there are some trails which may be most conveniently accessed by toll roads, increasing cost per ride. You might consider living where a trail is near/en route to home/work or find your riding curtailed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Some good info mentioned above. The mountain bike scene in DFW is active. It is definitely more XC oriented with lots of short punchy climbs with moderately technical sections. You can install the DORBA app on your phone to check trail conditions and see if the trails are rideable (wet trails here are not rideable because of soil). There is around 200 miles of DORBA trails. One of my favorites is Grapevine Northshore - it's a 22 mile loop system with numerous places to get air and some challenging rock and boulder sections. No extended climbs or descents but still really fun. I've ridden quite a bit in CO (brother lived in Denver for a few years and I have friends in Highlands Ranch). CO riding is fantastic of course (Breckenridge is my favorite and maybe the Buffalo Creek trail system 2nd) but I still find the trails here super fun. I'll be up there again in September. Oh I also like the weekend trips here to Arkansas and central TX which has good riding. Summers are hot and humid and a little long for me but I still ride year-round. Best of luck and welcome if you do end up moving.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
    Some good info mentioned above. The mountain bike scene in DFW is active. It is definitely more XC oriented with lots of short punchy climbs with moderately technical sections. You can install the DORBA app on your phone to check trail conditions and see if the trails are rideable (wet trails here are not rideable because of soil). There is around 200 miles of DORBA trails. One of my favorites is Grapevine Northshore - it's a 22 mile loop system with numerous places to get air and some challenging rock and boulder sections. No extended climbs or descents but still really fun. I've ridden quite a bit in CO (brother lived in Denver for a few years and I have friends in Highlands Ranch). CO riding is fantastic of course (Breckenridge is my favorite and maybe the Buffalo Creek trail system 2nd) but I still find the trails here super fun. I'll be up there again in September. Oh I also like the weekend trips here to Arkansas and central TX which has good riding. Summers are hot and humid and a little long for me but I still ride year-round. Best of luck and welcome if you do end up moving.
    I love riding around Buff Creek and Breck too! Thanks everyone for the info. Iím going to try and get in as many high alpine rides as possible and make the best of it in Texas. Hope to see you guys on the trails!
    2018 Yeti SB 4.5 Turq
    2018 Orbea Rallon M-Team

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    In all likelihood, you will be looking at the northern Dallas 'burbs, Plano, Frisco, Allen, Flower Mound, etc.

The majority of the trails are up that way, but with the exception of the two around Lake Grapevine (North Shore and Horseshoe), they're pretty flat singletrack, with some minor exceptions.

Central Dallas has a whopping two trails, one almost completely flat and the other a bit less so.

The southern Dallas area and getting toward FW and parts west has the rocky, up/down stuff. Oak Cliff Nature Preserve is a fun little trail that's tight, twisty, and has a fair amount of loose rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can find out about Austin riding, as well as most of central TX on my website. Don't have anything about Dallas area, never really been up there to ride.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    A lot has already been said about DFW trails. I think there's ~200 miles of trails within 45 minutes to an hour (w/o rush our traffic!) depending on where you live. DFW is a big area covering over 9,000 square miles (metro area). Almost 7.5 million minions here, growing by 10k per month! And a lot of 'em ride bikes. More bikes shop than I've experienced visiting bike destinations. You'll find manufacturer support for just about any brand here (warranties. etc.) if you need it. More than enough different after ride brew houses available too. As already mention, DFW has a big bike scene (road and trail).

Local bike groups have been mentioned (DORBA, etc.). Also check the Texas State Parks site(s). Texas State Parks are a proponent of bike trails, as well as multi-use trails that include bikes.

One note about climbing. Sure Colorado offers heck of a lot more climbing.. duh. I ride Colorado a couple times a year (live in the DFW area). But honestly, the climbing can be less stressful in Colorado, given shuttles and lifts, if you chose to use them. No such thing needed in Texas, obviously. I'm feel the short loose rock and rooty technical climbs on some of our DFW trails are satisfying enough when it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity. Isle bu Bois and the black diamond loop at Johnson Unit come to mind. I seem to huff and puff more on those punchy climbs than I do climbing the steady 3k to the top of Vail mountain from the village (riding, not gondola). Maybe that's just me (in my head )...

And the best part of MTBing in DFW? You can ride all year 'round!

If you move here... Welcome to Texas, ya hear?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    A lot has already been said about DFW trails. I think there's ~200 miles of trails within 45 minutes to an hour (w/o rush our traffic!) depending on where you live. DFW is a big area covering over 9,000 square miles (metro area). Almost 7.5 million minions here, growing by 10k per month! And a lot of 'em ride bikes. More bikes shop than I've experienced visiting bike destinations. You'll find manufacturer support for just about any brand here (warranties. etc.) if you need it. More than enough different after ride brew houses available too. As already mention, DFW has a big bike scene (road and trail).

Local bike groups have been mentioned (DORBA, etc.). Also check the Texas State Parks site(s). Texas State Parks are a proponent of bike trails, as well as multi-use trails that include bikes.

One note about climbing. Sure Colorado offers heck of a lot more climbing.. duh. I ride Colorado a couple times a year (live in the DFW area). But honestly, the climbing can be less stressful in Colorado, given shuttles and lifts, if you chose to use them. No such thing needed in Texas, obviously. I'm feel the short loose rock and rooty technical climbs on some of our DFW trails are satisfying enough when it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity. Isle bu Bois and the black diamond loop at Johnson Unit come to mind. I seem to huff and puff more on those punchy climbs than I do climbing the steady 3k to the top of Vail mountain from the village (riding, not gondola). Maybe that's just me (in my head )...

And the best part of MTBing in DFW? You can ride all year 'round!

If you move here... Welcome to Texas, ya hear?
    I have little basis of comparison, but definitely agree that a short punchy climb, with an adrenaline-soaked descent, followed by another climb, rinse-repeat is a pretty serious workout. Especially if its 95+ with 60+RH.

mtbr member
    The biggest hurdle for me back there would be the humidity but I guess if you live there, you can get used to riding in it. I know my buddies and their friends swear that wearing race kits/spandex is cooler than baggy shorts & jerseys that most MTBR's out west wear. The other issue they deal with more often than folks out further West is rain closures. My daughter lives in San Antonio and it's crazy how often they get some severe weather that soaks/floods everything out. I know up in the DFW area that my buddies races have been cancelled the past couple weeks as well.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    swear that wearing race kits/spandex is cooler than baggy shorts & jerseys that most MTBR's out west wear.
    Ha this sounds right - I did a group ride last year in San Francisco (north up in Marin) and I showed up in a racing kit and I was the only one not in baggies.

The other issue they deal with more often than folks out further West is rain closures. My daughter lives in San Antonio and it's crazy how often they get some severe weather that soaks/floods everything out.
    I think this is just part of living in an area that gets 40"+ of rain a year. We got 14" of rain this past *February*. This is a little more than total annual rainfall in Denver.

I've known many riders who relocated here and some get acclimated to the heat and humidity and others don't. Most of the trails in DFW you are in the trees the majority of the time and not getting direct sun which definitely helps. I still sweat profusely from June-September.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Freeride 512 is a club you can join that operate 2 "parks" that are member only. One is Cat mtn located in Central Austin (pretty cool story to this place), and one is located in Smithville, TX. The annual fee is minimal.

There is a bike park opening later this year that will have lift access in 2019 from the looks of things. It's called Spider Mountain and sounds pretty solid. It will be located in Burnet, TX.

Here, diagonally!
    Just keep in mind it is disgustingly hot here for 3 - 4 months of the year, IMO. I consider winter prime riding season. Yes we get the occasional "WINTER BLAST" logo on the evening news, but it's rarely to cold to ride, even with just a few layers.

Not a whole lot of chunk, but Northshore, Isle du Bois, and Johnson branch offer it.

Day trips to Austin? You can squeeze it in, but doing it right is staying the night in Austin, and getting some good food and drink. I used to have a friend that lived there and rode, that was a great situation.

mtbr member
    I just wanted to say... Thanks.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If you ever find that is raining everywhere in Texas and you want to ride desperately, go ride Revelle peak ranch. Its good dry too.

Much of the miles in Austin is unmapped. Follow some riders in Austin on Strava and see where all they ride.

Austin area is NOT CO and will kick your ass unless you are skilled in rocks and square edge ledges.

Comfort (flat rock ranch) is a favorite of many in Texas to ride. It has a 30 mile loop to ride that can be broken into several shorter rides.

Www.tmbra.org is the state XC series and races many of these ranches and parks throughout the seasons. Marathon season starts in November-December

There is a fall season, but the state XC series starts in February.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    If you ever find that is raining everywhere in Texas and you want to ride desperately, go ride Revelle peak ranch. Its good dry too.

Much of the miles in Austin is unmapped. Follow some riders in Austin on Strava and see where all they ride.

Austin area is NOT CO and will kick your ass unless you are skilled in rocks and square edge ledges.

Comfort (flat rock ranch) is a favorite of many in Texas to ride. It has a 30 mile loop to ride that can be broken into several shorter rides.

TMBRA - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association is the state XC series and races many of these ranches and parks throughout the seasons. Marathon season starts in November-December

There is a fall season, but the state XC series starts in February.

Great info, thanks! I rarely ride in the Front Range as most of my rides are high alpine rides above 11k feet where if you arenít hiking you arenít biking. Ive spent considerable time in Moab as well so Austin sounds super fun to me because I usually canít stand smooth flow trails.
    2018 Yeti SB 4.5 Turq
    2018 Orbea Rallon M-Team

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Great info, thanks! I rarely ride in the Front Range as most of my rides are high alpine rides above 11k feet where if you arenít hiking you arenít biking. Ive spent considerable time in Moab as well so Austin sounds super fun to me because I usually canít stand smooth flow trails.
    Barton Greenbelt back trails will be your Jam. There are several unmentionable trails in Austin you may really enjoy.

You will like reveille a lot because itís the most similar to the open space riding of MOAB. Its all exposed granite and very grippy.

Brushy creek ďdeceptionĒ trail will give you some good riding. Its marked as 1/4 notch and double down on official signage these days.

Pace bend is great Texas rocky ďflowĒ and offers good after ride swimming.

The same can be said for Pedernales Falls state park which can be ridden in conjunction with flat creek ranch since they are next door for a 28 ish mile ride if you hit it all.

These should keep you busy.

Nothing south of Dallas and east of 35 is interesting and worth riding except for Rocky Hill Ranch. Other than that itís flat and meh.

I really enjoyed riding at Dinosaur valley and Tyler state parks. These are short drives from Dallas. Each of these offer very different terrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Cameron Park in Waco is very active with riders and trails. So that place I can recommend. Another that hasn't been mentioned is the state park in Mineral Wells. They have some good trails there. The sand is thick so it does get harder to ride on when it is wet. Another great thing about Mineral Wells is it has rock climbing area with some great routes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post

You will like reveille a lot because itís the most similar to the open space riding of MOAB. Its all exposed granite and very grippy.
    It has some riding similar to "The Dells" in Prescott, short punchy ups and downs and tech moves, that's the closest riding that I would say it compares to. It has some decent on-rock-riding, it's NOT all exposed granite though. Generally tighter than most Moab stuff, but also far shorter and smaller.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks again guys!

Quick question, what tires are you guys running? Iím lazy and hate changing tires out so I just prepare for the worst here and run a DHF and DHR DD combo. Not the quickest set up but not having to fix a flat is a great. I figure the I might be able to get away with running something faster on my Yeti while keeping the bomb proof set up on my longer travel Orbea for bigger days.
    2018 Yeti SB 4.5 Turq
    2018 Orbea Rallon M-Team

mtbr member
    Quick question, what tires are you guys running?
    Like anywhere, you'll see a lot of Maxxis. After all, seems that's what most bikes come with these days. Certainly nothing wrong with them. But personally, I've had my best luck with Kenda Nevegal's. The Pro's for general trail stuff (rocks, sand, roots, etc.), and the X-Pro's for XC (faster rolling, hard pack). Both with DTC rubber. Been riding them for years in Texas. Never a pinch flat, and hold up well against Texas mesquite thorns, cacti, and those stupid goat heads. Having said that, my most recent new bike came with WTB's (Trail Boss rear, Vigilante front). Really like that combo for what Texas throws at them, and no issues yet with the mentioned pricky stuff. The WTB combo feels like it fits between the more aggressive Nevegal Pro's and and more XC X-Pro's.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Also join the dorba group on Facebook

Also Dallas is six hours from bentonville

Iím in paris Texas we have 13.9 miles that can be ridden in two directions, about an hour and a half from McKinney and our city is in the application process to add an asphalt velosolutions pump track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I run DHF up front because in the dirt it grips like crazy, I run an aggressor in the rear. No issues with either, pretty great combo IMO, I value grip over rolling resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Before you get too excited about Austin, realize that it's 3.5+ hours of soul-crushing traffic from Dallas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Before you get too excited about Austin, realize that it's 3.5+ hours of soul-crushing traffic from Dallas.
    Ain't that the truth. Most of it isn't even scenic. It's just Waco.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Most of it isn't even scenic. It's just Waco.
    There is a scenic route but it's closer to 4 hours, or more, less traffic, but more local cops. Coming from a western state like Colorado isn't so bad, but northeastern and some southeastern types just flat aren't used to the long drives in Texas.