Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Walnut Creek - Need Specific Trails

For those of you familiar with this place, i need some help
    Found a trail map here - http://www.mountainbiketx.com/downlo...t_Creek_II.pdf

On Feb 2nd, there will be a trek demo day there and I'm going to test ride a Rumblefish and a Fuel EX. We are allowed 30 minutes on each bike.
    I'd like to find some technical uphills, fast trails, and rock gardens. Can someone point me out to some of them on this map?

And can you point out the dj/pump track section? If there's time, I'd like to hit that up too.
    Thanks

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    pump track is on the bmx loop. Find the BMX loop and you cant miss it. There is a little loop kinda across the road that is maybe a mile or two and pretty techy. I might could meet ya out there.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    I really dont't pay attention to trail names so the map doesn't help me much.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    demo starts at 9 so i wanted to be there around then...let me know if u can make it then

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rock gardens, good luck, hard to find there. If I was going to demo the bike and only had 30 mins, I would do severe consequences (start at the bottom of the map) then head over the bridge and hit the windy loop.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    True that AB. I think we are speaking of the same loop that has a halfway technical climb.

mtbr member
    Here's a map that has the correct names for trails on it (I noticed the map you linked to called the BMX Loop 'Woop de Doo Loop" which Ive never heard before) : http://www.austinridgeriders.com/sit...Park_Kiosk.pdf

techy climbing - theres not a ton of it, but your best bet is about halfway through the Windy Loop (specifically between 104 and 100 on the map I linked), or at the end of Endo Valley (go down Endo Valley, 508 towards that black square on the map, then climb from 510 back up to 508). Theres a bit of this on BMX Loop too.

Fast trails - not sure what youre looking for exactly here, but the two fastest downhills are Powerline Hill (504 to 512), or the church downhill (412 to 414).

Not really much in the way of rock gardens. Endo Valley or Windy Loop is prolly the closest thing youll find to rock gardens, but dont expect much.

Definitely avoid everything west of the parking lot and north of the creel (Point Six Loop, Tar Branch Trail, Tanglewild Trail). If it were me, I'd cross the creek at the Main creek crossing, climb up to the top of Powerline, go down Endo Valley, go down Powerline, cross the Waterfall crossing, go across the retention dam, ride the fenceline (just north of the LCRA substation), hit the church downhill, cross the creek again and do Windy Loop, then BMX if I had time. You could do that in 30 minutes, but I know the trails out there very well and wouldnt have to spend any time navigating and figuring crap out.

What time are you planning on getting out there? I might be able to meet you in the parking lot and give you a tour that morning. Feel free to PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you have 30 minutes just ride the whole park.

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdole View Post
    If you have 30 minutes just ride the whole park.
    Lookout Lance!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah i was going to say endo valley too. ride the gold dot loop--no wait that's pace bend--I meant blue dot---it should take under an hour if ya don't fiddle around. Wait you only have 30 minutes ? ugh nearly all the demos give an hour or up to whatever it may take to ride a loop.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I think for demo purposes I'd stick to Windy and BMX. Those will have the best mix of everything. Probably the only "technical" climb and the closest thing to a rock garden you will find at WC, there is also some nice flowly out there. And if you find you have time you can do Windy backwards and turn the climb into a DH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for the map

if anyone wants to meet up, i'd like to be there between 9 and 9:30...send me a PM

i guess it really has been a long time since i've last been to walnut creek...before the bmx loop when it was still called the whoop dee doo...also don't remember any of the trails being one way

are the numbers on the newer map marked on the trail? i remember having the old map with me before and we still got lost pretty quickly

mtbr member
    I am not a big fan of Walnut and it's not the place for the kind of demo you are wanting...however...

Given you have 30 mins and considering what you want...
    Like many said, avoid the "highways" - .6, Log Loops, Tar Branch.
    1. From the lot find the trail to hit the creek bed to the main Xing - this is about the closest you'll get to a rock garden
    2. Main trail to Powerline to Endo and make sure to climb up the back side of Endo instead of taking the easy right to the bottom of PL - this will be a short, but STEEP and somewhat tech climb
    3. Waterfall to Detention to Tangle of Trails
    4. ToT to Church - gets a little tricky hear, find the trail with the berms and follow it down, then when you hit the main trail at the bottom take the next right - this will be your biggest climb out there, but not tech. Sorry, but my route here is not right, but I'm not going to try to sketch the new trail and correct it, basically after the Tot stuff you go down, then up then down one last time.
    5. At the top, just hair pin left to hit the downhill re-route, to the main to the Main Xing.
    6. Personally, I like Severe Consequences, but it's not really tech, but fun - you want tech climbing, so high tail it to Windy loop to wrap things up. There are few techy, but very short climbs.

**Someone feel free to correct/clarify my Church/End of Fence area instructions - my point is to have him go down the hill with the berms and table top at the top, hit the main for a few secons, then up the ***** and down the re-route (use to have a fall line to the wall ride trail.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    There was a wall cave in at the south creek crossing last year, look to your left as you cross the creek in the direction above. Use that for your rock garden.

Austin, Texas
    For the most part, I agree with Austin Bike; with 30 minutes and having to think about where you are going I would do Severe Consequences, Windy Loop, then finish at the BMX Loop. I love Walnut Creek for exactly what it is; a great, fun place to ride. There are indeed very few rocky areas, which I love since there are any numerous other Central Texas trails that I ride that are full of rock. It doesn't really have any technical climbs as well, except for the two short ones on Windy Loop. Many say it is not "technical". I agree, it is not technical in the rock garden, climbing, "trials" sense, but just go fast and it becomes real technical real fast in "motorcross" sense. Last year I hooked up with a guy who went on and on about how easy it was, I just told him to ride fast and it would become much more techical. I believe we were in the Tangle of Trails/Marks Art area. He scoffed and roared off. A few minutes later I was helping him get up out of the trees with a broken collarbone. Lots of quick switchbacks.

Go down the road marked and watch for "Severe" going off to the left. Make sure once you are on the trail to take the first right. Windy Loop has a short climb shortly after getting on the trail, right by the creek. You can either go up the left side, or go down towards the creek and go straight up the side. Later there is a short, sometimes frustrating rocky climb. BMX loop has the jumps and pumps that you are looking for towards the end. Have fun man!

Austin, Texas
    Just as an aside, I've only seen one person ever go down the root part of the "Root Drop". I'm sure hundreds of folks on here have, but I've only witnessed one. 16 yr old kid just plopped one wheel after another and went on across the creek. I was anxious to see a semi-pro rider that I was riding with one time do it. He said, "Uh no effin way man, this is the first time I've ridden again since breaking my collarbone right here at Root Drop".

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for the help everyone, i'll try to plan the demo accordingly...hopefully i will have time to do most of this stuff...and i'm now anxious to see what this root drop looks liks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think the route posted with the highlighter is good. Find a version of the map with the marker numbers

Endo valley has a down and an up portion, it might be worth it to try to go both ways. I think endo valley is more technical than windy. endo has some short rocky stairs going down and then some short ledges on the climb.

there are 3 routes that run parallel to what on the map is called the hill of despair (pretty sure that is now church hill). The downhill runs are good to test the carving at speed capability of a bike and if you go up them they are good to test climbing.

When I first started walnut I printed out a small copy of the map to take with me. The trail marker #'s are extremely useful for finding your way so use a new version that has the #'s.

I might skip tangle of trails, and just run along the fence to get to the "hill of despair" climbs and descents.

The creek bed actually has some rocks so you can use that as a mini rock garden

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    heres is a version on the newer map. windy has two climbs but they arent as difficult as endo if you do it in both directions.

walnut creek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    thanks for the help everyone, i'll try to plan the demo accordingly...hopefully i will have time to do most of this stuff...and i'm now anxious to see what this root drop looks liks
    ive never seen anyone do it. There are a couple videos online of people doing it but its a lot more eroded now. i doubt you can just slowly roll down it like these guys do (both of these guys are lucky they didnt endo, riding it super slow like that).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    ive never seen anyone do it. There are a couple videos online of people doing it but its a lot more eroded now. i doubt you can just slowly roll down it like these guys do (both of these guys are lucky they didnt endo, riding it super slow like that).

Done it many times, seen many others do it. I have failed a few times as well.
    Fast "touch and go" mode has been the best - it's sketchy, but with good timing you can do a huck-hit-huck, I have only endo'd when hitting it slow (usually due to traffic stopped before it). Naturally when I have failed there was actually water in the creek and a crowd

I pretty much only hit the alternate now, the Fruit Root Drop.

Austin, Texas
    Man, very cool, those dudes made it look easy. Believe me, when you come up to that thing and look down it, it don't look that easy,and it aint! Like I said, I've been around many, many, MUCH better riders than I that wanted no part of it; and some that tried it, and won't do it again. The kid that I personally saw do it went r e a l l y slow, as in he set the tire down then stepped down to the next one etc... There were several riders standing there watching with their mouths dropped and eyes bugged out. lol

I've ridden Walnut hundreds of times, but looking at that map I don't think I've ever done Endo Valley. When I turn right onto and shoot down the Powerline hill, it climbs back up to a little ridge. I've always taken a left there and then an immediate right to drop down the rest of the Powerline hill. About midway down there is a trail that crosses. Is that were you take a right into Endo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    Man, very cool, those dudes made it look easy. Believe me, when you come up to that thing and look down it, it don't look that easy,and it aint! Like I said, I've been around many, many, MUCH better riders than I that wanted no part of it; and some that tried it, and won't do it again. The kid that I personally saw do it went r e a l l y slow, as in he set the tire down then stepped down to the next one etc... There were several riders standing there watching with their mouths dropped and eyes bugged out. lol

I've ridden Walnut hundreds of times, but looking at that map I don't think I've ever done Endo Valley. When I turn right onto and shoot down the Powerline hill, it climbs back up to a little ridge. I've always taken a left there and then an immediate right to drop down the rest of the Powerline hill. About midway down there is a trail that crosses. Is that were you take a right into Endo?
    take the right. it has a somewhat technical down, then go to the left and up which will take you back to the top of powerline.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    Just as an aside, I've only seen one person ever go down the root part of the "Root Drop". I'm sure hundreds of folks on here have, but I've only witnessed one. 16 yr old kid just plopped one wheel after another and went on across the creek. I was anxious to see a semi-pro rider that I was riding with one time do it. He said, "Uh no effin way man, this is the first time I've ridden again since breaking my collarbone right here at Root Drop".
    Root Drop is actually pretty eroded now. There is a line all the way to the left that you can just roll down. Not sure if it's just natural or part of the ARR's general sensitization campaign of WC (I hear they are planing to start paving soon ). It used to be pretty intimidating, and I have seen more then a couple people destroy bike and body there, but it's nothing now.

Austin, Texas
    YeeeeHaaawwww!!! Worked my arse off all week, but slow day at the hospital today so going to leave early and go to Walnut Creek. I was there a few months ago and the Root Drop still looked nasty, and maybe nastier, but there is the smooth drop just to the left that I think most people take.

I just pulled up a new map of WC and I see where I can get to Endo Valley from. I've always taken a left at 506, then right on down Powerline and on around to the Log Loops. I see that at that ridge I'll go straight ahead. Also, I'm not exactly sure what the Hill of Desperation is...I may or may not have ridden it, but I'll check it out. Got "The Tank" with me today LOL. The Tank is my 55lb 2005 WalMart Mongoose that I keep to this day to make even a semi-easy ride exponentially more difficult, reminds me just how nice my other bikes are, and gives others the chance to snicker at me. I even put on a boarders dirt lid to add to the effect. Yessah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast