Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waco riders?

mtbr member

Waco riders?

I'm pretty new to this forum. Just wondering how many of yall are from the Waco area? I moved here earlier this year. I use to ride a lot then took a LONG leave of absence against my will. I'm back on the bike though and exploring some of the area trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    I'm pretty new to this forum. Just wondering how many of yall are from the Waco area? I moved here earlier this year. I use to ride a lot then took a LONG leave of absence against my will. I'm back on the bike though and exploring some of the area trails.
    I am in Houston but check out the Waco Bicycle Club.
    wacobicycleclub.com
    The have a regular Sunday MTB ride.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm in Waco. I live like 5 minutes from Cameron Park. I just rode Cameron Park today actually. I'm going for at least 2 or 3 rides a week if I can keep to it, as weather permits of course. On weekdays there's no one out there. You can ride for hours and not run across a hiker, biker, or horse.

I'm a beginner rider still. Haven't quite gotten the skills all down. My biggest fear is steep downhills. There's a lot of those at Cameron Park.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm located in Georgetown, but I do most my riding in Austin. I've been wanting to check out Cameron park just haven't had a chance to get out there.

mtbr member
    I live on the other side of town...near Bicycle Outback. Im going to check out Cammeron park in the morning for the first time!

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Thanks texbiker...ill check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm also in Waco & ride Cameron Park a few days a week. Also check out Woodway Park. There's a fun loop that is a different type of ride from CP so it can be a nice break if you don't want to do a lot of climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I didn't even know there was trails at woodway park. I'll have to check that out sometime.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Yea I ended up going to the Woodway trail instead. It was fun untill I wrecked. Bent my front rim and fork, broke a shifter and bent the handle bars. Messed up my shoulder and wrist too. Guess I wont be able to ride for a while. Going to take time to get the $ for new parts. Oh well, it was a fun ride though!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I thought the Woodway trail was less technical. How'd you manage to crash?
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    u bent a rim and fork and handlebars? i call bs. I break more parts than anyone and have never bent a fork. I had one explode into my eye before.. but never bent one.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Because Im still a rookie and suck. Tight right hand turn downhill and i guess I used too much brake. I fell, bike hit a tree then went down the hill a little.

Call what ever you want bud...keep in mind my bike is not a quality ride. $250 when it was new. If its not bent then why else will the front not compress at all? Believe me... I would LOVE for my fork not to be bent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like the perfect excuse to spend some $$$ on a proper rig

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yea I ended up going to the Woodway trail instead. It was fun untill I wrecked. Bent my front rim and fork, broke a shifter and bent the handle bars. Messed up my shoulder and wrist too. Guess I wont be able to ride for a while. Going to take time to get the $ for new parts. Oh well, it was a fun ride though!
    My house is in Waco but i travel alot and am really only there on the weekends now but ride cameron whenever i get the chance.

What parts do you need, i have some old handlebars laying around my house, i have a couple old wheels but they are for rim brakes and not disc and are 26's. I also might have a extra shifter or two i could give you depending on what was on your bike to start with.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Woodway Park has its tech sections esp the tight switchbacks. Last spring when they were new & not bedded in yet, they were really fun esp the off-camber sections- I did a nice OTB when front tire slipped down on a root. There's lots of stuff to impale yourself on off the trails too. I usually ride there when it's not so humid; being close to the lake, it can be really nasty.

mtbr member
    So I'm not a total weenie then? That's good to hear! I heard it was less technical that Cammeron so wanted to check it out. I went down the first park road and parked on the left by the dumpster and play ground area. Entered the trail on the small dead end road and made an imediat right (wraping around behind the parking lot. That short section is where I bit it. I was thinking to my self "If this isnt technical, I should have stayed on the hardball"! Not that it was real hard, just more technical that I figured it would be. I deffinatly learned my limitations and the limits of my bike. Makes a fancier rig more appealing.

Centexells, I sure appreciate the offer. I was telling the story to a buddy at work and he said he ran over his wife's bike a few weeks back, said I could take what ever parts off it that I needed. I took the whole handlebar assymbly with shifters. They looked like the same style I had on mine, got home and they are the exact same ones. I just got done swaping those out. My bike is a 26" with rim brakes so I took the levers (not sure what theyre actually called) the pads mount onto and swaped those out too. I think all I need now is a front wheel and fork. Or if my fork isnt realy bent figure out why it wont compress.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If it doesn't rain on Thursday (20% chance all day) I'll probably check out Woodway after class.

Woodway Park trails 2011 - YouTube
    Watching this video, it doesn't look anywhere near as technical as Cameron Park, and I haven't crashed and burned at Cameron yet (though that day will come I'm sure), and I'm a rookie at any kind of trail riding as well.

Here's a trail map I found of Woodway Park. http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6...altrailmap.jpg

And a trail map of Cameron Park.
    http://www.waco-texas.com/userfiles/...-Trails-09.pdf
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The rider in the video is going in the direction I like to go but the sort-of techie switchbacks are edited out. They would be before he comes out into the paved area at the end of the vid(which is at the very end of the park). Woodway isn't as tech as Cameron Park; there are not as many rocky sections, none of the climbs are as steep or as numerous. Woodway is fun b/c it has a lot of little up/down sections to pump through along with an area with small berms.

mtbr member
    Yea the part I wiped out on wasnt in that video. It was on the green trail. I think next time Ill head in the direction he did and avoid that spot untill I build some strength and skill.

mtbr member
    Sil3nt611, the map of woodway didnt pull up. Post it again and ill show you the part I crashed at. Sounds like you get to ride more than me and probably have better skills...Im sure youd enjoy it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sil3nt611, the map of woodway didnt pull up. Post it again and ill show you the part I crashed at. Sounds like you get to ride more than me and probably have better skills...Im sure youd enjoy it.
    I tired it on 2 different browsers and the link works for me.

I've only been out to Cameron Park 3 times since I moved back for the Fall semester. Before that I've never really been trail riding, just out on my parent's land. I did crash once at home. I think I'm just too cautious to crash just yet at Cameron Park.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    I see it now. You see where the P is.....just above it and to the left theres a double switchback....thats where I ate dirt. I went in right where that green trail meets the red. Obviously I didnt get to see much of the park lol.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The double switchback in the middle, I know where you're talking about. I usually start in the opposite direction so I climb that section.

I've crashed all over Cameron Park...

mtbr member
    I think I'll be doing that from now on!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's good to know. My plan was to try and ride as much as I can starting at the yellow trail. I don't know if I'm capable of riding 4.6 miles or not. I don't really have any way of knowing how far I ride in Cameron park each day, but it is a lot of downhills and coasting so it's not all pedaling either, and Woodway Park sounds like more pedaling.

Now it's a 50% chance of rain tomorrow evening...and the next couple days. Why couldn't I have been off today so I could go riding? 0% chance Sunday, but the trails will be wet...
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like the chances for rain in the AM are around 20-30%, I'm thinking about getting a ride in before we get rained out. Anyone up for a ride in Waco? My riding buddy bailed on me, plus neither one of us were familiar with the area anyway. I'm not the fastest but I will bomb down any hill.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    8:30 class in the morning or I would. I like to go Thursday evening after my second class so I'm under no pressure to get back at a specific time, but it will be too wet by then I'm sure.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Dang! Just lost everything I typed....

Anyways, I'm excited to here there are some other trails in Waco! I love Cameron Park (Powder Monkey and Vortex are my must rides when I'm there), but I'm going to have to try out these trails at Woodway Park.

I grew up in Waco, but don't live there anymore. We still go down to visit family a few times a year, and we always bring bikes so we can hit up CP!

To the original poster: I'm glad to hear your riding man, but I'm a little concerned about your bike. Bent fork worries me! If you're hammering the trails on a Dept. store bike, please please please be careful! Those things are not made for the trail, and I'd hate to hear you split a frame descending a fast technical section. I know everyone starts on what they have, and I'm not advocating you go spend 5K on a new bike or something...just please be careful, if that is what your on.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Yea I know now that my bike isnt up to par....but better than nothing. I do take it easy though..especialy since Im not too experienced. I hope to find a good used bike soon that will hold up better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgf101 View Post
    Looks like the chances for rain in the AM are around 20-30%, I'm thinking about getting a ride in before we get rained out. Anyone up for a ride in Waco? My riding buddy bailed on me, plus neither one of us were familiar with the area anyway. I'm not the fastest but I will bomb down any hill.
    I wouldnt worry about not knowing the area much. I didnt either, its a small park and the whole loop is just under 5 miles I believe. And police/fire department is only like 5 mins away lol!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Woodway doesn't have the elevation changes that Cameron Park has. Only a few sections are sort of tough depending on your fitness. . Woodway tends to stay muddier longer than CP. CP should be ok Sunday afternoon and you could always pick the rocky trails to ride. Speed Pun (Run) is fun with slippery.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Woodway doesn't have the elevation changes that Cameron Park has. Only a few sections are sort of tough depending on your fitness. . Woodway tends to stay muddier longer than CP. CP should be ok Sunday afternoon and you could always pick the rocky trails to ride. Speed Pun (Run) is fun with slippery.
    Well I'll check it out and see how muddy Cameron Park is Sunday afternoon. I'm not really looking to get muddy or ride on slick surfaces. I'd think it'd take a little while to dry out since a lot of it is covered with trees though.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Some of the CP trails are so hardpacked that they drain really well. Next week, traction will be good & no more dust. Hopefully the temps will stay down so humidity will not be so horrible.

I always ride on Saturday but tomorrow I'll watch the final World Cup Downhill race in Norway. Should be a real barnburner!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Last I checked there was a 0% chance of rain Sunday. Now it's 50%... I haven't been able to ride since last Sunday. I've never hated rain so much.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Got in a short ride this evening & trails are pretty good. A couple were kind of sticky, rocks n' roots were a bit slick. If we get more rain, it'll be nasty but if not, then everything is good to go. Looks like tomorrow, there may be more rain... There were already heavily travelled go-arounds for the mud puddles on the River Trail so lots of riders yesterday & today.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, 60% chance of rain all day Sunday. Hopefully I'll have a chance this next week when stuff is dry. I'll probably try Woodway next Sunday.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    So I've been able Frankenstein my bike with parts off of other peoples old or wrecked. All except the front fork. It's rideable, just wont compress. This experiance taught me the pitfalls of a 'cheep' bike, hoping my tax return is enough to get a "real" bike!

Anyways, I was wondering if any of yall know of a decent paved path to ride? For days like tomorrow when the trails are wet but still want to ride. I'm not too excited about riding my mountain bike on the street. So besides the riverwalk, any other paved MUTs in town?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Anyways, I was wondering if any of yall know of a decent paved path to ride? For days like tomorrow when the trails are wet but still want to ride. I'm not too excited about riding my mountain bike on the street. So besides the riverwalk, any other paved MUTs in town?
    Not really that I can think of or know of. Though the river path wouldn't be a bad ride, just lacking in any real turns or ups and downs. And you gotta dodge more runners/walkers probably.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So I've been able Frankenstein my bike with parts off of other peoples old or wrecked. All except the front fork. It's rideable, just wont compress. This experiance taught me the pitfalls of a 'cheep' bike, hoping my tax return is enough to get a "real" bike!

Go out to the Lake Waco Dam. There's a good climb from the parking lot up to the dam then ride in either direction.

mtbr member
    Tha dam wasnt a bad little ride. Just over 5.5 miles. Nice scenry too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I didn't realize the dam trail was that long. I'll have to ride it at some point.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Thats round trip. From the parking lot by the airport to just before Lake Shore Dr and back.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, I know. Even 2.75 miles is pretty long though.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cameron Park is looking good. Dirt is damp without being muddy. Roots/rocks mildly slick. Took a nice fall on Colorado when rear wheel kicked out from a soft-ball sized rock right in front of the hipwall about halfway down the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Perfect conditions Friday. I expect the same for awhile, but the heavy rains have washed out a few trees. A bunch of brush took out the last bank of vortex--the second one past the mini-bridge--which I nearly slammed in to.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Went to Woodway Park today. Took me about an hour and a half to ride the entire loop. It's a lot more technical than everyone made it out to be. It was fun though. I started at the lower parking lot and went on the red trail first, then green, blue, and back around to green. I wasn't expecting the water crossing on the red trail. I ended up crashing once at the last leg of the red trail somewhere. I've been to Cameron Park 3 times without a crash and I end up crashing at my first visit here. I'd rate most of the trails an Intermediate level as they would be at Cameron Park. I'd say the red trail is probably the least technical.

Took this shot somewhere along the green trail.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode Woodway yesterday also. I never pay attention to the colors, I think they're more for distances on the map rather than how tech anything is.

There's one short climb I never make- it's right after the loose rocky switchback with root across the trail you can pop over. I slow down after the corner then can't get the power back to make it up the climb. I never remember it so I don't set myself up properly.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I rode Woodway yesterday also. I never pay attention to the colors, I think they're more for distances on the map rather than how tech anything is.

There's one short climb I never make- it's right after the loose rocky switchback with root across the trail you can pop over. I slow down after the corner then can't get the power back to make it up the climb. I never remember it so I don't set myself up properly.
    Just what I personally thought the tech was rather than what it said on the map. I was merely pointing out that based on the trail colors on the map, I thought the red trail was the easiest. There's a couple maps through out the park if you want to stop and look at them. There's arrows that point in the direction of a trail in the specific color of said trail as it is labeled on the map as well.

Since I've only been through the whole thing once I don't know what particular area you are talking about. I had to get off and push up several hills. I haven't mastered changing gears quite good enough with the fast changing terrain so I end up in the wrong gear 1/4 up the hill.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    After a few rides at Woodway, you'll get it. It's just a loop; there is one section that goes all the way around to the other park area but you have to ride the same trail back & there's usually a lot of debris so if you're not running tubeless, there's a good chance you'll get a puncture.

For my riding, I use the same gears for everything: middle 32t ring upfront & largest 2 cogs in the back. I only have 2 crankrings & I dont like spinning very often (I'd love to run 1 crankring but I'd probably miss that little ring occasionally). I'm still running 8speed too but it works.

meh... whatever
    waco here.

there's a few good group rides during the week sponsored by the bike club. joining the club is $20 and you get free injury insurance while on a group ride and get a 10% discount at bicycles outback on parts/accessories.

also, i train mtb riders/racers from novice to expert. so if you ever wanna up your skills real quick hit me up.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast