Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waco riders?

mtbr member

Waco riders?

I'm pretty new to this forum. Just wondering how many of yall are from the Waco area? I moved here earlier this year. I use to ride a lot then took a LONG leave of absence against my will. I'm back on the bike though and exploring some of the area trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    I'm pretty new to this forum. Just wondering how many of yall are from the Waco area? I moved here earlier this year. I use to ride a lot then took a LONG leave of absence against my will. I'm back on the bike though and exploring some of the area trails.
    I am in Houston but check out the Waco Bicycle Club.
    wacobicycleclub.com
    The have a regular Sunday MTB ride.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm in Waco. I live like 5 minutes from Cameron Park. I just rode Cameron Park today actually. I'm going for at least 2 or 3 rides a week if I can keep to it, as weather permits of course. On weekdays there's no one out there. You can ride for hours and not run across a hiker, biker, or horse.

I'm a beginner rider still. Haven't quite gotten the skills all down. My biggest fear is steep downhills. There's a lot of those at Cameron Park.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm located in Georgetown, but I do most my riding in Austin. I've been wanting to check out Cameron park just haven't had a chance to get out there.

mtbr member
    I live on the other side of town...near Bicycle Outback. Im going to check out Cammeron park in the morning for the first time!

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Thanks texbiker...ill check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm also in Waco & ride Cameron Park a few days a week. Also check out Woodway Park. There's a fun loop that is a different type of ride from CP so it can be a nice break if you don't want to do a lot of climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I didn't even know there was trails at woodway park. I'll have to check that out sometime.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Yea I ended up going to the Woodway trail instead. It was fun untill I wrecked. Bent my front rim and fork, broke a shifter and bent the handle bars. Messed up my shoulder and wrist too. Guess I wont be able to ride for a while. Going to take time to get the $ for new parts. Oh well, it was a fun ride though!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I thought the Woodway trail was less technical. How'd you manage to crash?
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    u bent a rim and fork and handlebars? i call bs. I break more parts than anyone and have never bent a fork. I had one explode into my eye before.. but never bent one.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Because Im still a rookie and suck. Tight right hand turn downhill and i guess I used too much brake. I fell, bike hit a tree then went down the hill a little.

Call what ever you want bud...keep in mind my bike is not a quality ride. $250 when it was new. If its not bent then why else will the front not compress at all? Believe me... I would LOVE for my fork not to be bent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like the perfect excuse to spend some $$$ on a proper rig

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yea I ended up going to the Woodway trail instead. It was fun untill I wrecked. Bent my front rim and fork, broke a shifter and bent the handle bars. Messed up my shoulder and wrist too. Guess I wont be able to ride for a while. Going to take time to get the $ for new parts. Oh well, it was a fun ride though!
    My house is in Waco but i travel alot and am really only there on the weekends now but ride cameron whenever i get the chance.

What parts do you need, i have some old handlebars laying around my house, i have a couple old wheels but they are for rim brakes and not disc and are 26's. I also might have a extra shifter or two i could give you depending on what was on your bike to start with.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Woodway Park has its tech sections esp the tight switchbacks. Last spring when they were new & not bedded in yet, they were really fun esp the off-camber sections- I did a nice OTB when front tire slipped down on a root. There's lots of stuff to impale yourself on off the trails too. I usually ride there when it's not so humid; being close to the lake, it can be really nasty.

mtbr member
    So I'm not a total weenie then? That's good to hear! I heard it was less technical that Cammeron so wanted to check it out. I went down the first park road and parked on the left by the dumpster and play ground area. Entered the trail on the small dead end road and made an imediat right (wraping around behind the parking lot. That short section is where I bit it. I was thinking to my self "If this isnt technical, I should have stayed on the hardball"! Not that it was real hard, just more technical that I figured it would be. I deffinatly learned my limitations and the limits of my bike. Makes a fancier rig more appealing.

Centexells, I sure appreciate the offer. I was telling the story to a buddy at work and he said he ran over his wife's bike a few weeks back, said I could take what ever parts off it that I needed. I took the whole handlebar assymbly with shifters. They looked like the same style I had on mine, got home and they are the exact same ones. I just got done swaping those out. My bike is a 26" with rim brakes so I took the levers (not sure what theyre actually called) the pads mount onto and swaped those out too. I think all I need now is a front wheel and fork. Or if my fork isnt realy bent figure out why it wont compress.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If it doesn't rain on Thursday (20% chance all day) I'll probably check out Woodway after class.

Woodway Park trails 2011 - YouTube
    Watching this video, it doesn't look anywhere near as technical as Cameron Park, and I haven't crashed and burned at Cameron yet (though that day will come I'm sure), and I'm a rookie at any kind of trail riding as well.

Here's a trail map I found of Woodway Park. http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6...altrailmap.jpg

And a trail map of Cameron Park.
    http://www.waco-texas.com/userfiles/...-Trails-09.pdf
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The rider in the video is going in the direction I like to go but the sort-of techie switchbacks are edited out. They would be before he comes out into the paved area at the end of the vid(which is at the very end of the park). Woodway isn't as tech as Cameron Park; there are not as many rocky sections, none of the climbs are as steep or as numerous. Woodway is fun b/c it has a lot of little up/down sections to pump through along with an area with small berms.

mtbr member
    Yea the part I wiped out on wasnt in that video. It was on the green trail. I think next time Ill head in the direction he did and avoid that spot untill I build some strength and skill.

mtbr member
    Sil3nt611, the map of woodway didnt pull up. Post it again and ill show you the part I crashed at. Sounds like you get to ride more than me and probably have better skills...Im sure youd enjoy it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sil3nt611, the map of woodway didnt pull up. Post it again and ill show you the part I crashed at. Sounds like you get to ride more than me and probably have better skills...Im sure youd enjoy it.
    I tired it on 2 different browsers and the link works for me.

I've only been out to Cameron Park 3 times since I moved back for the Fall semester. Before that I've never really been trail riding, just out on my parent's land. I did crash once at home. I think I'm just too cautious to crash just yet at Cameron Park.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    I see it now. You see where the P is.....just above it and to the left theres a double switchback....thats where I ate dirt. I went in right where that green trail meets the red. Obviously I didnt get to see much of the park lol.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The double switchback in the middle, I know where you're talking about. I usually start in the opposite direction so I climb that section.

I've crashed all over Cameron Park...

mtbr member
    I think I'll be doing that from now on!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's good to know. My plan was to try and ride as much as I can starting at the yellow trail. I don't know if I'm capable of riding 4.6 miles or not. I don't really have any way of knowing how far I ride in Cameron park each day, but it is a lot of downhills and coasting so it's not all pedaling either, and Woodway Park sounds like more pedaling.

Now it's a 50% chance of rain tomorrow evening...and the next couple days. Why couldn't I have been off today so I could go riding? 0% chance Sunday, but the trails will be wet...
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast