unrooted

Waco &/or Austin???

I "get to" go to Mexia Texas for Christmas this year to see my wife's family. I have heard that there are some excellent bike trails in Waco and Austin, so where should I hit up?

I'll need to rent a bike and it looks like the only place in Waco that rents "mountain bikes" doesn't have what I would consider a mountain bike. So I may have to rent from someone in Austin. Any place I should look at? One shop has Pivot 429's for rent, which would be sweet (except for the price!).

My wife will likely ride with me, so long (20-30 mi) XC trails would be best, but if there are trails that have a few jumps/drops that she can ride around, that would be great for both of us!

mtbr member
    I don't know about Waco, but the Austin area has tons of good trails. scroll through this forum for specific discussions of City Park, Barton Creek, Bull Creek, Walnut, etc.

MountainBikeTx.com - Your Texas Mountain Bike Resource

AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking

Welcome to Austin Ridge Riders | Austin Ridge Riders

if you go to Barton Creek, I suggest you do so with a guide. there might be a group ride going on through Ridge Riders or Meetup- The Austin Mountain Bikers Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup

mtbr member

Waco &/or Austin???

Waco has Cameron park. It's a spiderweb trail system that is very fun to ride. It's where I ride almost all of my free time. I've never logged more than 20 miles in the park though.
    Ride it into the ground.

unrooted
    30 miles or 3 hours of riding. That all depends on the terrain. In bend Oregon 30 miles can be done in 2.5 hours, vegas I'm lucky to get 15 miles in 3 hours, especially if my wife is with me.

Since I won't be able to rent a bike in Waco ill probably do Austin, which certainly has a better rep than Waco to us non-texans.

mtbr member
    Austin area would probably be best. Try Reveille Peak Ranch, Reimers Ranch, Pace Bend, etc... for out of town rides out in the hill country.

For in town rides, the Barton Greenbelt is your best bet, but you will get lost/turned around without a guide. and i wouldnt consider that XC riding although there are certainly XC sections.