Thread: Visting El Paso

mtbr member

Visting El Paso

I'm coming to El Paso and bringing the bike. I'll be there from around June 6-13. I've never ridden there. I'm sure I can find a map and make my way solo if I have to, but I am somewhat directionally challenged and would be much more comfortable in a group.

Are there any regular group rides that I could tag along with? Any locals want to show me around? I promise to return the favor if you are ever in Austin.

Faster or slower than me, I don't really care. I just don't want to have to spend the night in the desert. I would describe myself as a good rider who loves technical terrain. Most of my rides are 2-3 hours on challenging terrain. I'm not a speed racer but can definitely keep up with a group.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just to warn you...bring lots of sunscreen. at this time of the year mid day rides are very hot. I would suggest riding in the early morning or the evening. If you are close to the Westside trails I may be able to meet you at the Redd Road trails in the early mornings (most of my rides right now start somewhere around 6 or 7am to get the best temperature, and to ride in the mountains shadow). The terrain can be technical, so you should enjoy the trails.

The below website should give you an idea of the trails.

Borderland Mountain Bike Association
    Mountain Bike Trails, Road Bike Routes, Hikes, and Trails in El Paso, TX | GeoBetty - You are on the right track

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I ridewith a small group that meets at Chuck Heinrich park (east side of the mountains, 4300 Jon Cunningham Blvd., 79934) at 0600. We usually ride 12 to 16 miles.

The west side trails are really rocky and pretty technical. The east side trails have a bold mix of rock and smooth flowing single track. They have equal amount of climbing.

I think the east side has more fun factor.

You're welcome to join us on Saturday the 9th.

We're usually packing so we can protect you from the cartels and such JK
    Matt

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting up. I'm hoping to get a few rides in while in town. Maybe I can take both of y'all up on those offers. My wife's whole family lives there and we've talked about moving back. Before I get on board I need to check out the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thursday's at 6:00 pm there is a group ride on the Westside. You'll find everyone parking at the intersection of Redd Rd. and Helen of Troy. There's also several that ride the NE trails on Thursdays as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moots91 View Post
    Thursday's at 6:00 pm there is a group ride on the Westside. You'll find everyone parking at the intersection of Redd Rd. and Helen of Troy. There's also several that ride the NE trails on Thursdays as well.
    That sounds perfect. I'll try to make that.

mtbr member
    So, how is EP treating you? Hope you are enjoying the desert and having a good time. We will be heading out to Chuck Heinrich Park tomorrow around 0630 if you would like to join.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all for the offers. I did catch one ride out on the east side of the state park. The guys I rode with we're FAST. I had a couple of crashes on the loose desert dirt and a serious energy bonk. Hats off to you guys. You El Paso riders are tough. Although I got my butt kicked, I"ll definitely bring my bike with me on the next visit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You got to try the Redd Road trail...it's like Emma Long trail on steroid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    I'll definitely have to try that one next time. Those are the closest trails to my in-laws house and I love Emma, so it sounds like a no brainer. I asked the guy I rode with about them, but he said they sucked. Then, we rode a trail that wasn't exactly my favorite. Sounds like Redd Road might be more my style. I know a lot of people in Austin that hate riding Emma. Each to his own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A lot of people who ride Redd just do the loop which goes up and down but is mostly nontechnical. The farther from the trail head you go....the better it gets (Lttle Moab, Brujos/Alter, Spinal Tap, Tin Mine, trails near the palletas, Mikes trail). Or to put it a different way... trails closer to Redd Road-hardtail, trails farther from trail head-FS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    First time on Redd, I got my ass kicked.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    I'm coming to El Paso and bringing the bike. I'll be there from around June 6-13. I've never ridden there. I'm sure I can find a map and make my way solo if I have to, but I am somewhat directionally challenged and would be much more comfortable in a group.

Are there any regular group rides that I could tag along with? Any locals want to show me around? I promise to return the favor if you are ever in Austin.

Faster or slower than me, I don't really care. I just don't want to have to spend the night in the desert. I would describe myself as a good rider who loves technical terrain. Most of my rides are 2-3 hours on challenging terrain. I'm not a speed racer but can definitely keep up with a group.

Thanks!
    So, I'm 90% sure I will be visiting Austin later this month, or early September. I am going to try and bring my bike. How are the trails in Austin, and what do you recommend?
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Sorry, I havent checked over here in a while. I hope I didn't miss you. PM and I'd be happy to show you around if i'm going to be in town and available to ride.

Barton Creek Greenbelt is the best trail in Austin, but around 85% of it is unmapped, so you'll need a guide to find the good stuff.

City Park may be my second favorite in town. Lots of big drops but since it is also a moto trail, they are pretty open and have lots of line choices.

Walnut Creek is fun if you like fast and flowy.

Thumper is challenging. It is tight, twisty and steep.

Reveille Peak Ranch is out in Burnet, but it is worth the drive if you have the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal View Post
    Sorry, I havent checked over here in a while. I hope I didn't miss you. PM and I'd be happy to show you around if i'm going to be in town and available to ride.

Barton Creek Greenbelt is the best trail in Austin, but around 85% of it is unmapped, so you'll need a guide to find the good stuff.

City Park may be my second favorite in town. Lots of big drops but since it is also a moto trail, they are pretty open and have lots of line choices.

Walnut Creek is fun if you like fast and flowy.

Thumper is challenging. It is tight, twisty and steep.

Reveille Peak Ranch is out in Burnet, but it is worth the drive if you have the time.
    Thanks! Something came up, and I wasn't able to make it. I have a lot of family out there, so I will be visiting sometime soon.

-Chris Kyle