mtbr member

Visiting houston

I'll be visiting your fine state and I'm bringing my adventure bike. It ain't a road bike or a mountain bike, and it definitely ain't no hybrid. I'm looking to get in two rides. Day 1). A longish gravel/dirt road ride. Day 2). Non technical single track. I'll have a car and am willing to drive a bit. Can you guys point me in the right direction?
    The Sam Houston multi use trails look interesting.
    Should I be worried about hunters if I wear my school colors?
    Thanks
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think we have two that fit exactly what you're describing.

1. Brazos Bend State Park -- over 20 miles of dirt/jeep road...all flat, but very scenic. Watch out for the gators

2. Double Lake Rec Area, in Sam Houston park near ColdSpring, TX. 20+ miles of nice rolling, twisting single track. Not very technical, but a lot of fun in gorgeous forest. It will give you a good work out as well with a good bit of rolling elevation changes (at least for the flat Houston area).

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you want to make a hike, Huntsville state park
    Huntsville State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

mtbr member
    The multi use trails are mainly used by atvs and horses and can be very sandy and rutted. Also this time of year I would be a little concerned about the hunters outside of the recreation areas and state parks.

Double lake sounds like what you are looking for. In addition to the 20 miles of single track their is also 5 or so miles of gravel forest service roads. You will still want to watch out for the hunters. Half of the trails and the gravel roads are outside of the Rec. area.

Huntsville is another great option. The trail is a little more technical than DL. Mainly because of the sand and roots. You have the main trail around the lake which is 7.5 miles. Also I think you would enjoy the CCC trail that goes around the whole park. Most of the CCC is gravel road and double track and is about 8.5 miles long.When I ride the CCC and the Chinquapin plus the blue and purple trails I get about 17 miles. The roadies like to come here as well. The FM roads in the area have some decent hills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lot of times after work I'll ride from Memorial Park taking the Allen Parkway dirt trails to Downtown Aquarium and then back for a decent one hour ride. Might consider that if short on time.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    ya, wear orange or red or yellow. no brown or white.

at double lake, you could ride the singletrack, or hop on a gravel forest service road and pedal your little heart out. if your adventure bike has some decent-sized tires, i suspect you would really enjoy the singletrack. huntsville may be the same, i just haven't been there.

if you decide you want to stay closer to town, there is some stuff out at george bush park on the west side of town that you can string together.

bicycle bicycle bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by yourideit View Post
    I'll be visiting your fine state and I'm bringing my adventure bike. It ain't a road bike or a mountain bike, and it definitely ain't no hybrid. I'm looking to get in two rides. Day 1). A longish gravel/dirt road ride. Day 2). Non technical single track. I'll have a car and am willing to drive a bit. Can you guys point me in the right direction?
    The Sam Houston multi use trails look interesting.
    Should I be worried about hunters if I wear my school colors?
    Thanks
    You might also consider Lake Houston Wilderness Park. Here is a link to their trails map.

http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/pdfs/2012/LHWPMap.pdf

Miles of jeep trails and you can probably get about 6-7 miles of pretty tame single track. It is a Houston City Park and the city has been putting a lot of money into the place lately. I was out there two days ago and the trails are in very good shape (a little sandy in a few spots).

If you are interested hit me up and I could tour you around out there.

Peace

mtbr member
    Huntsville and Lake Lake