mtbr member

New question here. Visiting Austin - taking wife, trails to hit?

We're hitting a music festival (Old Settlers) and thinking of riding Austin this weekend. She's sort of intermediate on some stuff and beginner on others, but I got her a FS 29r so bike is not a problem. I wanted it to be fun and not kill her, but have some challenges and good scenery.

Onion creek is close by (near Buda) but the map only shows very short trails, but there's a huge park area.

http://www.mountainbiketx.com/downlo...nion_Creek.pdf

Anyone know if Onion Creek trails are more than what is shown? I'd bet there are some new trails no on this map.

Any other recommendations? I read that Walnut creek is probably the best bet but its through town on North end, and while its not far the traffic can be challenging / annoying.

TIA

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Www.austinbike.com is a good source for MTB trails in and around Austin.

If you don't want to through town the greenbelt might be best bet although challenging.

San Marcos also has a trail called purgatory and maybe another.

mtbr member
    Thanks I had seen Austin Ridge Riders but the site looked pretty out of date, if trail reports are any indication. Will check it out.

mtbr member
    Just watched some vid of the trail, looks about perfect thanks for suggestion.
    http://www.austinbike.com/south-of-a...eek-san-marcos

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's hard to say - how good is she at riding rocky trails? Pace Bend is good with a mix of intermediate features, but is pretty rocky. Reimers has a good mix too, just stay off the advanced stuff.

Walnut is more of a beginner friendly trail that might be a good place to start, though as you mentioned traffic might be a problem.

mtbr member

Re: Visiting Austin - taking wife, trails to hit?

She's pretty strong not fat but not in high level shape. She can't wheelie and would have to be coached on drop off ledges over 8" or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    San Marcos or slaughter creek are probably your best bets. Pace bend could also be a good choice, I'd take that over muleshoe or Reimers
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    I'd suggest Slaughter Creek as well. There aren't many miles out there, but it's a fun little 5mi loop on the same highway as the festival.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    +1 for Slaughter Creek. If your lady cant wheelie or take big drops, a lot of the trails around here are going to be too technical.

mtbr member
    I looked Slaughter Creek looks OK, its pretty easy looking - but would be close by and good warm up. See how she does. We just did Double Lake two weekends in N. Houston and it is a fast but fun ride and she did great no falls no walking.

Her 29r has a low cockpit and even I have to really do an exaggerated motion to get the front end to wheelie, my 26r is simple in comparison, so that's not going to help her. I think she can learn the drop pretty fast though, she's expert snowboarder (on trails not park) and not afraid of stuff.

mtbr member
    THanks looking forward to riding!
    I think she will be glad she's on a 29r FS looking at all the rocks and stuff. And glad she's switched to platform pedals from SPD's we had on there! 8-0

Cheers,