mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Upgrading to new bike

Good afternoon everyone,

Like it says I'm looking into buying a new more capable bike, I have outgrown my trusty old faithful '07/'08 Hardrock Pro Disc and I'm looking for a bike that I can buy that will keep me good to go for much longer, something I can just update components and what not.

So far I've come to the choices of a Stumpjumper FSR or Camber, both 29ers. I saw the brief reviews on the 2013's and I've very excited!

My question to you guys is for riding in the DFW area which would be the best option. I've been thinking just a FSR Comp 29er as the best all arounder to handle everything this area has to offer and then some.

I typically ride Northshore (G-vine lake), Horseshoe, Oak Cliff Nature Preserve and since a buddy and I have started riding together we're going out to a lot more so yea....

I'm not familiar with Trek and every time I try to do a "apples to apples" comparison it seems Trek has 3 different bikes for it. I'm open to suggestions on this one b/c the bike shop I go to has them. I was thinking a Rumblefish or a Fuel Ex 5 would be an equivalent, would that be correct more or less?

Anyways, if you guys have some input for this bike or any other for the area I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth please speak up, I'd love all the info I can get so I can make a good decision.

Thanks!

Oh and I'm sure someone is gonna ask about price, well...I'm not gonna say price isn't an issue but we'll start a cap of at least 3k, that should be more than enough to give me some very well to do options.

meh
    are you considering 26" at all? if so, i think this is one of the best deals out there (im biased though)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a 26 and I'd like to move up to a 29er. I take it this question must be asked a lot since no one has responded.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I don't think where you ride is as important as how you ride, and what you're looking for in a bike, i.e. comfort versus racey geometry, dual versus hardtail, 29'er versus 26'er. I think you would get better feedback asking your questions on one of the equipment or bikebrand subforums.

(PS, I drank the 29'er koolaid a couple of years ago and am totally sold. I don't ever see another 26'er in my stable again.)

mtbr member
    Yep, the old choice between 29'er and 26. I just got a new bike a couple months back. Was leaning towards the 29'er, but ended up staying with the 26 because of the tight turns where I ride and mainly because I liked the 26 I was looking at. But, I would like to try a 29'er one day.

Rather than decide between 29'er and 26, if you got the duckies, I would probably spend the extra bucks on full squish rather than hard tail. The roots around here aren't terrible but sometimes my bike moans at me when I hit them too hard. :-)

G'luck!
    Roots, Rocks, Ruts and Padded Butts

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Oh yea I'm definitely stuck on getting a full suspension.

But fair point on looking at the way I ride. I don't plan ever to race, but some good competition between my friends and I is inevitable...sadly right now they're beating my arse with single speed 29ers, but they are also in much much better shape than I at the moment. I've only started riding again a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    are you considering 26" at all? if so, i think this is one of the best deals out there (im biased though)
    Wow, I didn't know you could get a Mojo that cheap.

mtbr member
    The Trek Fuel is a 26", so it doesn't really compare to the two Specy models you're looking at. The Superfly 100 is the Trek 29er that has a little less travel than the Rumblefish. IIRC, this is how the four would break down just in terms of travel amounts:
    Stumpy = 130mm
    Rumblefish = 120mm
    Camber = 110mm
    Superfly = 100mm

Personally, I wouldn't go with any of those choices, especially since you sound like you are will to spend some cash for the right bike. I'd look for something with a dual link type suspension. These allow for firmer pedaling in the initial stroke and nice plushness on the bigger hits without having to flick a lever or rely on a "brain". Some suggestions: Giant Anthem 29er, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Turner Sultan, Any Niner model...I know i'm leaving some good ones out.

But bottom line, ride some bikes and see what feels best. Asking strangers in a forum will only lead to "I have {fill in the blank} bike, therefore it must be the best for you" and/or a dead horse debate over 29 vs. 26 inch wheels.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    Wow, I didn't know you could get a Mojo that cheap.
    yeah, its a great deal, they are closing out the SL frames since the SL-R is out now

and notyal hit the nail on the head

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another vote for the Mojo SL Special Blend.

I picked one up earlier in the season and couldn't be happier. Incredible bike for the money!!!

If you see a Nuclear Pesto Mojo SL around the Austin area trails, that's probably me.

meh
    how are you liking the x-fusion fork? i upgraded to the XF O2 dwl tuned shock on my mojo from the stock rp23, it was quite an improvement

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    how are you liking the x-fusion fork? i upgraded to the XF O2 dwl tuned shock on my mojo from the stock rp23, it was quite an improvement
    Love it. I was a little skeptic at first since I've been a Marzocchi fan since the first Z2 Bomber. However, I was honestly blown away.....incredible product for the money.

mtbr member
    Yep, the Mojo Special blend is a killer deal, and it will convert to 27.5" wheels with minimal tweaking. I love mine. Austin is being taken over by 29ers though. I think that 95% of DFW riding calls for no more than 110mm travel in a 29er max (I'll probably get flamed by guys riding gnarlier trails than what was available when I lived there)....but there actually is a cost in weight, handling, and response when hauling around the extra travel if you don't really need it. I met a guy on the trail with a Camber the other day that looked really sweet and the big red S is certainly popular, but I agree with Notyal that you should look at some of the multilink (DW, VPP, etc) bikes available. The Pivot Mach 429 is a phenomenal do it all 29er 100mm bike, and their rep for the region lives in Dallas (and is a swell guy) so getting hands on a demo might be easier than some other brands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was sold on my Superlight once I rode one around, but in a 26 though, since I liked the maneuverability over the 29er, since it fit my riding style better.. and this was coming from riding and borrowing my dads KHS XC Team which almost had me buying a KHS XC 704..

I ride Northshore often as well, about once a week on Wednesdays, and occasionally make the trip to Big Cedar to ride some fast paced Downhill style riding, more than welcome to meet up with me and my buddy for a ride...I don't go balls out 100% of the time, I like my lil "pokey" moments in the flat areas
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I took a demo ride on a Camber at Northshore some time ago, and didn't care for it much. It seemed huge in the tighter wooded sections, and all that suspension seemed overkill. I would like to ride one on a rougher trail sometime, just to see the difference compared to my rigid bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride the same trails as the OP, with a 140mm travel FS bike with 650b wheels, dropper post, short stem, wide bars. Perfect set-up, in my opinion. I'm out there to ride it all and have a good time doing it. I highly recommend you buy the most capable bike that you can. Buying a bike for specific trails can be a bummer when you decide to hit up a spot that's different from the norm.

Also if you haven't ridden a 29er before, don't buy one, try to get a few rides on one that fits you. Most people are smitten right away with the big wheels, I rode one for a year and couldn't really say I thought it was for me. There were definitely benefits, hence my current ride having a 27.5" set-up, I found it to be a great compromise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc D View Post
    I ride the same trails as the OP, with a 140mm travel FS bike with 650b wheels, dropper post, short stem, wide bars. Perfect set-up, in my opinion. I'm out there to ride it all and have a good time doing it. I highly recommend you buy the most capable bike that you can. Buying a bike for specific trails can be a bummer when you decide to hit up a spot that's different from the norm.

Also if you haven't ridden a 29er before, don't buy one, try to get a few rides on one that fits you. Most people are smitten right away with the big wheels, I rode one for a year and couldn't really say I thought it was for me. There were definitely benefits, hence my current ride having a 27.5" set-up, I found it to be a great compromise.
    this.... although I use my Superlight for everything even though it's an XC bike.....
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.