Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is two-way traffic normal on wooded single-track trails?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pedalitup 
#1 ·
Just looking at some of the videos of trails in Memorial park, it appears that some of the wooded single track trails are pretty cool and even moderately technical, but I noticed that there was on-coming traffic in some cases.

I'm still a noob when it comes to trails, as I have limited experience. Is 2-way traffic common? I am used to just getting on a trail that is a loop, and everyone going in a designated direction.

#2 ·
I've been riding to the park for the last few weeks and find it to be quite fun. All trails (Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Orange, The Triangle and Purple) can be accessed from multiple areas allowing for two way traffic. Some are alone while others ride in groups so it is important to "call out" and make yourself known in the blind corners. Be sure to let passing riders know how many are behind you if you are in a group. Although the trails are meant for mountain bikers you will encounter the occasional runner. Again, be sure to make yourself known and make them aware of anyone behind you. Click the link for more info about the Memorial Park and other trails in the Greater Houston area.

-Steel

#5 ·
yes. City Park is the only trail with a direction. There are some friends of mine (I'm not naming names) that prefer to ride it backwards - I often run into them coming at me.

And now we have big 600cc bikes on the trail from time to time.

Although it is for bikes and motos only and hikers are banned, there is an increasing number of hikers, often with dogs, and trail runners.

You have to stay vigilant

#6 ·
two way traffic is pretty common on most trail systems I've ridden... if you frequently ride the same trails going reverse can completely change the feel of the trail... seems like you're riding a completely different trail... back home in pensacola I did it on occasion, those grinding climbing sections I hated became awesome DH and those fast DH sections became monster climbs...

as the others mentioned keep your eyes and ears open, other cyclists, hikers, dogs, horses or whatever could be on many trails

#7 ·
Don't forget that a lot of walkers are wearing headsets and can't hear you till too late. Remember that walkers always underestimate cyclists speed and cyclists tend to overestimate walkers agility and ability to react.

When you add off leash sub miniature rat dogs into this equation things get a bit more technical.

Two way traffic and liberal access for multi user groups here in Austin is still far superior to the over regulated mess out in the so called "birthplace of mountain biking"

Respecting this situation will keep everything open for everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.